Paint or not to paint?

Rock knocker,

Masking a scope is easy. I put a strip of blue tape on a window, take a good guess as to the width of tape I need to match the scope and cut it with a razor and straight edge (yes, I'm divorced).

Here's a recent example:
IMG_0295.jpg

I got some self etching spray bomb primer at napa. Its made by duplicolor and is real close to OD green. My carry .45 is waiting to get sprayed. I plan to degrease throughly with break cleaner and have at it. I did a test on a clean steel plate. Its some pretty hard stuff for 10$ a can.

Good, I work right next to a NAPA. I will pick some of that stuff up soon. Then some Krylon.

I like the color of that primer too. Should I even worry about covering it up with paint or just leave it and put a clear coat over it?

I got some left over acetone from preping for cerakote, think I can reach enough areas with that or should I go with brake cleaner?

Actually one of the places I stopped today listened to what I was doing and said acetone or MEK would be far superior to brake cleaner in preparing the surface.

He said if I used brake cleaner (which is all I have used in the last 5 guns) to make sure to wipe it down afterwards as it would have some residue (which is true).

My SOP is to wipe it down with a lint free cloth and then NOT TOUCH IT again with my skin.

HOLY BUCKETS!! I had to make it to NAPA sooner than expected. The brakes in my old Oldsmobile went out %100 on the way to work this morning, He11 at 4:30am going 60mph coming up to a stop sign it felt like they went out %150. I had to make the left hand turn going 40mph
scared.gif

Good news, I made it to work on time and I've got my primer...

Back