308 for Black Bear?

yotehunter6

I am getting ready for some black bear calling and was just wondering what your opinions are on using a 308. I am planning on keeping the shots below 150 yards.

Ken,
I have killed literally dozens of black bears with a savage 99F in .308 using Rem 180 gr. Corelock bulletts all at very close range from treed to point blank bayed on the ground and have had no problems with the round...NVWalt

Yotehunter6, You should have no problems with your .308 win even to 300yds. Use the heavier bullets like the 180gr's.
Good Luck,
John

Yote, go for it man!!! The only rifle besides my .50 cal muzzle loader that I hunt with anymore (not talkin varmints), is my Remington 600 in .308 that I got from my grandfather a couple of years ago. It's a light rifle and it packs a helluva wallop.

I usually hunt with the 150 grain core-lokts, but every once in a while when I'm pig hunting I'll use the 180 grain round nosed core-lokts. These suckers are MEAN, and I suggest you give 'em a try. Your savage is a bit heavier and has a recoil pad, so they probably won't beat ya up as bad as they seem to knock me around.

Jake

Back