How many shots does it take to kill a coyote?

Yoteless in Ohio

Bobeano invited me out for some coyote calling today. First set while it was still dark produced 2, maybe three different yotes howling. One was closing the distance but changed its mind for some reason and never commited. Lots of fun to have them howling back to us.

On our way in to our second set, Bob spots a coyote crossing a field next to our approach that is trotting across the middle of the field. Knowing that we are likely busted, I open up on it. (in retrospect, we should have barked at it to see if it would stop)

First shot made it jump and tumble, and clearly I connected, but it continued to run across in front of us at about 200 yards. Second through fifth shot produced nothing but dust. Bob, the gentleman was giving me first option today, but when I shouted "im out" he let loose himself. On his second shot, just as it was dissapearing into the trees, it did a cartwheel at about 125 yds (yes, it had run towards us at one point). High fives all around and we were all smiles until we went to go get it. No dog, just blood. Bob blood trailed while I walked off to the side scanning the woods for the dog. It took several turns, paced back and forth at a creek edge and had gone about 100 yards at this point.

I spotted it laying down with its head up. I shot and it flipped, and ran a circle of about twenty yards. Bob shot again (I think) and then I put the whammy on it for good on my third shot of the series.

Post mordem- a wound in both its front and back legs, one in the snout (certainly his tumble shot) and two in the side. Answer is, five shots, if you are not hitting vitals.

And just three minutes before I shot at it in the field and ran out of ammo, I told Bob I only put five rounds in the mag because if I cannot get it done with those I will give up!

Thanks Bobeano for taking me out today, I learned a lot!

IMG_20120318_075652.jpg

Last edited:
It did get pretty western there for a while,it wasnt the prettiest but thank god for ar's.

Bet yoteless get a bigger clip.lol

It was fun

I would have been pumped up.... Sounds like You both had a wild and memorable Coyote Hunt to laugh about for many years,it would have been pretty boring to have just shot the Coyote and it dropped...that Hunt would have had my heart racing with excitement!

You are right about that. Not since I watched my uncle take 27 shots at a canvasback that was crippled and still had to ring its neck have I seen such a fiasco!

Definitely a good morning. Even if we didn't call the one we killed.

Makes me want to carry more in the mag. Pain is in OH you cannot carry ammo in the mag while driving, so you get out of the truck and click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click then half an hour later after you hunt your postage stamp sized spot and you want to move on it is click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click......makes my thumb hurt just thinking of it. That's why I was only throwing five in at a time.

BUt I take the time next time. This way I can miss it ten times on the run instead of five. Or have Bob shoot first and save the ammo! This is the third time I have seen a coyote on my way into the stand this year.

Originally Posted By: ibschmidtyI always put 12-14 in a 20 round P-mag. Load once in the morning and never worried about it the rest of the day.

+1 exactly what I do!
thumbup.gif

I cant help but wonder what the outcome would have been had i grabbed my 243 like i started to,instead of the 223.
With the shot through the snout that rolled it.It might not have had a face left and wouldnt have went as far. lol

But then again if would have led it as much it would have hit a vital area.

Also i carry a 10rd mag in the gun and a 5rd for back up.

Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioYou are right about that. Not since I watched my uncle take 27 shots at a canvasback that was crippled and still had to ring its neck have I seen such a fiasco!

Definitely a good morning. Even if we didn't call the one we killed.

Makes me want to carry more in the mag. Pain is in OH you cannot carry ammo in the mag while driving, so you get out of the truck and click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click then half an hour later after you hunt your postage stamp sized spot and you want to move on it is click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click......makes my thumb hurt just thinking of it. That's why I was only throwing five in at a time.

BUt I take the time next time. This way I can miss it ten times on the run instead of five. Or have Bob shoot first and save the ammo! This is the third time I have seen a coyote on my way into the stand this year.

Cannot carry ammo in mag in your state??? as Larry the Cable Guy would say " its like wiping before you poop, it just don't make sense "

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeYou can't have a loaded mag in a vechicle ? What the heck is that all about ?

I am gonna have to check into that.
Not that i dont trust what yoteless is saying.

I would sure hope to be wrong about this, but here is the definition of unloaded copied from Ohio revised code...

(5) “Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

(b) With respect to a firearm employing a percussion cap, flintlock, or other obsolete ignition system, when the weapon is uncapped or when the priming charge is removed from the pan.

Here is the part about loaded guns now that we have determined what loaded means....

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
(A) No person shall knowingly discharge a firearm while in or on a motor vehicle.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

So possibly it's ok to have a loaded weapon in, say the trunk or the bed?

Not sure what to think. I was certain you could not have a loaded gun without ccw in any respect. Heck, I have heard of game wardens writing tickets to guys who leaned a loaded gun against a vehicle. But that might just be rumor.

This is also in there...

(C) No person shall knowingly transport or have a firearm in a motor vehicle, unless the person may lawfully possess that firearm under applicable law of this state or the United States, the firearm is unloaded, and the firearm is carried in one of the following ways:

(1) In a closed package, box, or case;

(2) In a compartment that can be reached only by leaving the vehicle;

(3) In plain sight and secured in a rack or holder made for the purpose;

(4) If the firearm is at least twenty-four inches in overall length as measured from the muzzle to the part of the stock furthest from the muzzle and if the barrel is at least eighteen inches in length, either in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped, or, if the firearm is of a type on which the action will not stay open or which cannot easily be stripped, in plain sight.

And a fun fact, if you have over a 30 round clip your gun is considered a machine gun in Ohio!!!

(E) “Automatic firearm” means any firearm designed or specially adapted to fire a succession of cartridges with a single function of the trigger. “Automatic firearm” also means any semi-automatic firearm designed or specially adapted to fire more than thirty-one cartridges without reloading, other than a firearm chambering only .22 caliber short, long, or long-rifle cartridges.
Note: So any magazine that can hold more than 30 rounds other than a 22 caliber rim fire is considered an Automatic Weapon/Machine Gun,

Your absolutly right 'TonyTebbe' on the coyotes shear will to survive,and I've got an example for you.... 2 yrs ago my son shot a coyote with his muzzle loader during deer season and upon closer inspection we noticed this tough old dog did not have a lower jaw just a tounge and an upper jaw and had appeared to have survived and recovered from this injury from the year prior hunting season as it was totally healed up. We determined that this coyote was probably the "best mouser" around as he was in excellant physical condition and in fact "quite plump". You got to give it to them ...THEY'RE TOUGH!

40 lb coyote. Took 2 95gr Win SBT's in the mid chest & 1-rd through the buttocks. Coyote kept running(not very good mind you) until the 2nd chest hit. Then it dropped dead like a ship anchor. Tough critter

pretty side up
40lbs.jpg

Back