degreaser?

Yoteless in Ohio

So I went into autozone looking for degreaser to prep my guns for spray paining.

There were too many to choose from. Some spray, some are concentrate, some are foaming, some are wipe on.

Can someone tell me what to use, what not to use, and how to apply it? I am guessing I just spray or rub it on and wipe it off?

I won't be very good at what not to use....I use a stuff called Auto Prep,,,comes in an rattle can spray and I soak the rifle really good with it and then, while wearing latex gloves, wipe off the surface excess with an old cotton t-shirt...never touching it again until any residue has had a chance to evaporate(at least an hour)...It removes almost any foreign residue that you can think of...and then I prime the rifle parts to be painted with a 'self-etching' primer...

If I'm wanting to remove a finish from a wood stock, I'll use Easy-Off Oven Cleaner...But that's another subject..

Thanks OT. Ill see if I can find that.

Ummm, what is a self etching primer? Can that be used on all surfaces?

I will be doing my old 870 for practice, then hitting up my new AR. Plan to do the Tan/ webbing spray like I saw here recenlty.

Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioSo I went into autozone looking for degreaser to prep my guns for spray paining.

There were too many to choose from. Some spray, some are concentrate, some are foaming, some are wipe on.

Can someone tell me what to use, what not to use, and how to apply it? I am guessing I just spray or rub it on and wipe it off?

Use spray on break cleaner - it will strip every bit of oil from metal (and your fingers
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Yoteless in OhioMy wife has confiscated it and is not cleaning the stove with it. Works pretty good!

When she is done, have degrease anything else you need to paint....while she cleaning you might as well keep her busy

Well after the job I did on my 870 as a practice run I don't think I will be painting anything else. It looks like my 3 year old did it. But I like where your heads at!

Break parts cleaner, do not spray any cheap synthetic that you do not plan on painting as it may leave streaks. It is great for spraying out trigger groups as well and is very cheap.

Back