Beagles Killed!

Hey Vargy! You got my address yet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well, I am headed up to Iowa for the big game next week......Ought to be a good one I suspect.

YOU just keep your eyes peeled fer that streak of red motor-sickle going up 35Hwy, as I need to get them dogs of mine in some kinda running shape. Now that pack chasing from behind might look like spotted greyhounds but they ain't.....All them critters is pure GSP's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The laws in Texas are quite different. I can set snares or footholds year-round as long as I am acting as an agent of the landowner and they are for damage control purposes.

Oh yeah....no tags required on the traps in Texas, either.

Take care, fellas....

Rusty

Rusty, aint nothing wrong with trapping. I've had hounds caught in foot hold a few times and was no big deal, thankfully. Have also found over sized ground set conibears and illegal snares set and that didnt make me too happy but it happens I guess. Some trappers dislike houndsmen and vice versa, but then again there are some trappers who dislike each other and houndsmen like that too, sportsmen can get competitive these days. As for me I just like doing what I love and try my best to avoid @ss****s. Cant stand people with certain attitude problems.

I think back to when I was a kid trapping and how much I loved it and would never want to deny a responsible trapper that feeling for my own gain.

tonk. i got yea figuered out who you are now lol
took me a bit and you had me going. lolim am really thinking of breed those beagles again this winter. ill let you know if i do.

Vargy

Hush Up Vargy! Everybody thinks "Evil Kneevil" dead don't cha know!!!

Hey, that's a Roger on them Beagles Vargy, I don't suppose you will have any Bar-BQ going on at that time, a good Braut would be OK too.LOL.

I am changing oil in the old bike tomorrow and sometime next week goin fer a crusie up towards Iowa to take in a football game. Them boys know how to play ball and wrestle up in those corn fields yup.

Man, I am glad that I live out here in the west were there are ALOT of ranchers and I haven't met one yet that didn't want one of those coyotes dead. People of forget about HOW exactly they came to this country. Everyone that came across on a boat didn't have any land or money. That's why they came over. Now here we are disputing the fact that everyone on this board is a hunter or an outdoorsman. What you do with your "quality" time is yours, enjoy it, you can't make everyone happy and you can't always make everyone see it your way, no matter how hard you try. That's like trying to talk to a "bunnyhugger" and explaining to them about helping manage a deer herd, it will never happen.
I have never really hunted with hounds for coyotes or lions, or bears. I have however been blessed to call in one lion, one bear, and probly close to a 100 coyotes in less than 3 years. I would like to hunt with hounds after a lion but I doubt it would compare to the thrill I got when I called one in.
Just my .02 cents.

In my opinion, there must be some common sense used.If your a hound hunter, you know where your hunting. Dont run your hounds in an area where they may run across someones deer lease or through a livestock area.there are other places to hunt. On the other hand, Joe farmer who has a never used 40 acres behind the barn has to understand how hard it is to stop,direct, or catch a hound on a chase.Yes its your property, but are the hounds doing anything to you by cutting across.Would you get mad if a herd of deer ran across your fence without asking first.As long as the hunters are not shooting, walking behind, or purposely casting the dogs on your property give them a break.They are not hurting anything and anyone who gets mad in this circumstance is just looking for a reason to bitch at someone.Here in WI, dogs are private property and may not be shot for tresspassing. If there is a problem with a dog, take it up with the owner or the law, dont just shoot the dog. On another note ,we lost 6 deer hunters this year in a mass shooting over a tresspassing incident. Lets not get so wired up about a dog , a deer,or anything else that something like this horrible tragedy happens again.

Dogs raised with us think they ARE one of us. How sad I felt reading this thread. If a person accidently trespassed on someone's land does that justify murder? Same for the dogs in my opinion. How in the heck would they even KNOW they were trespassing? That man should not even own a gun if he has so little control over himself and his impulses.
I think the judge was right...but I also feel that man should have had a heavier sentence. He, or anyone else for that matter, sure as heck would not want to shoot one of my dogs...hunting or not. Does not matter the kind of dog...even wild dogs are caught by animal control people and put down humanely if they are not adoptable.

Mark W,
I am totally in agreement with you. Yes us as hound hunters use common sence when turning the hounds loose. Everyone I have ever hunted with (4 different states) know where they can and can't run. We want to avoid any convertation that is gonna make someone mad, get our butts chewed or anything of that nature, and anywhere there's a chance of getting hounds shot, we really try our hardest to stay away from there. Just because they are hunting hounds doesn't mean they aren't loved by the hunters, or even young children of the hunter. Of course I don't have children (i'm only 17) but if I did and you shot my hound that my child loved, how in the world am I gonna tell my child that someone shot our dog that they loved???? AND ANYONE READING THIS THAT WOULD SHOT A DOG JUST BECAUSE, THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT, HOW WOULD YOU EXPLAIN TO YOUR CHILD THAT SOMEONE SHOT YOUR FAMILY PET??? HOW WOULD THAT MAKE THEM FEEL???
I agree with everything you have to say ladyjane, thanks for your two's input!
MOyotehunter

edit: spelling mistake

That was a point I overlooked but feel deeply about. I may be ridiculed but I am the kind of person who considers the animals i own a part of the family. I have a house dog(alaskan malamute) and 4 hounds(outside). My 3 yr old daughter goes out with me to feed and play with the hounds every day and thinks of them as a pet no different than the big fuzzball dog she plays with in the house. I am a hunter but I respect and cherish the animals i own and the ones i pursue.Shoot any of my dogs for tresspassing and you may find my foot in your a##.

Hey Mark,
Thats exactly the point I was trying to make right there, the way you are explaining about your daughter. Some people think that since they are hunting dogs, they don't mean anything to the family, almost all of them do! Thanks, MOyotehunter

GC

I also think that was well said. My family owns ground and I am an advid hunter and nothing urks me more than to see a bunch of trespassers on our property. A lot of them have had the nerve to hunt directly across the road from the house. How would they like it if you had a bbq in their yard?

I would suggest that those of you that dog hunt actually check what state law says about trespassing dogs. It usually isn't what some people think it is. Even in Missouri the land owner has the right not to put up with your dogs. A friend had a horse chased through a barb wire fence by a neighbors dog a couple of years ago, the vet bill was $500.00 and the dog owner sure didn't offer to pay any of it. He still hopes that another horse that he got later broke the back of that d***ed dog (that horse kicked dogs, it didn't run from them).
Not much trouble with hound hunters up here but people that move out of town and think they can let thier dogs just run are a problem. When they get too close to livestock they don't like what happens to the dog.

Now com'on you know there is a difference between a "dog" and a hound. Some of you guys are wanting to group house dogs in with hounds, because they run around everywhere. Hounds are let out for one purpose, thats to find their quarry and track it down. House dogs are left to run either for protection maybe, or perhaps the person thinks its wrong to chain a dog up I don't know??????? I will go dig up court cases in MO here, that I read just a few months back from the Missouri State homepage where people were getting fined along with the costs to dog owners, the shooter was having to pay. I will also state what exactly the law says if you'd like, because I've read it several times too.
............. Now what you were talking about the horse running through the fence. "not being smart" but if you can prove that the dog caused this, make that person pay. But once again, not too many hounds in the US are really gonna chase livestock. Good day, MOyotehunter

The owner of these dead hounds probably spends less time thinking about this case than you folks! Geeze, they're dead... they're buried... six months ago... move on! LOL! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back