Here's a question for the guru's!

pyscodog

Gun club had a "Swap Meet" today. Mostly a BS session but there was a few deals to be had. A member was selling some guns for a deceased friends wife. I bought one but the problem is, we don't know the caliber. Here's what I can tell ya. Barrel is heavy stainless, action is a trued up Remmy 700 made into a single shot, trigger is unknown at this time but there's no bolt release or saftey and is very, very light, in the wee ounces. Stock is a brown laminate, thumbhole. Its diffenently a 22 caliber and has a 223 bolt face, with a Sako extractor, but a 223 won't chamber. The seller told me all the info he could find is a paper with a list of the deceased guns and it has 223X40. I'm thinking maybe a tight neck 223AI. Anyone care to make a guess?

I'm not a guru, nor did I stay at a Motel 6, buuut...maybe take a cast of the chamber? That will give you an idea of which direction in which to head.

I think Brownell's sells a casting kit. Got that idea from someone else on the boards.

Good luck and good on you for helping out a widow!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogGun club had a "Swap Meet" today. Mostly a BS session but there was a few deals to be had. A member was selling some guns for a deceased friends wife. I bought one but the problem is, we don't know the caliber. Here's what I can tell ya. Barrel is heavy stainless, action is a trued up Remmy 700 made into a single shot, trigger is unknown at this time but there's no bolt release or safety and is very, very light, in the wee ounces. Stock is a brown laminate, thumb hole. Its differently a 22 caliber and has a 223 bolt face, with a Sako extractor, but a 223 won't chamber. The seller told me all the info he could find is a paper with a list of the deceased guns and it has 223X40. I'm thinking maybe a tight neck 223AI. Anyone care to make a guess?

Take a new or FL sized 223 case and and chamber it - if it is tight, look at the neck/shoulder junction - if it is marred or shinny, it is a 223 AI.

Next, put a bullet in the case you just used, and put in the chamber and see if it will drop out, if not, close the bolt on it, and withdraw it - look at the neck - are they a LOT of scrapes on it - if so, it is a tight neck - but I doubt that it is because any self respecting gunsmith will put the neck dia of a tight neck chamber, on the barrel.

Odds are very high that it is a 223 AI, with a standard, or no turn chamber and you can load it and shoot it, without hassle.

Well, here's what I have found out so far. 223 won't chamber, neither will a 222. It will partically chamber but won't let the bolt close. I figure its a tight neck something. I agree, caliber and neck size should be on the barrel. I did check the twist and it a 14 twist. I'll probably pull the barrel tomorrow and cast the chamber. Kinda hoping its not a 223 as I have three already. I've got a butt load of 222 mag brass and dies so will probably end up re-chambering to triple duece mag. I got this at a screamin deal price so I can afford to spend a little on a chamber job. Oh ya, almost forgot. I pulled the action out of the stock and on the bottom of the barrel it has Bushnell 22 45S. Not a clue what that means.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bushyif a 223 wont chamber then its probably not 223 AI.

If it were a .223 AI, a standard .223 would chamber. You fire form AI cases by shooting standard .223 in them.

Cerrosafe found here is the only way to go. Might be almost anything from a .221 on up.

Cerrosafe is what you need to find what the rifle is chambered for. Brownells sells it. Put a wad of cotten in the throat, oil the chamber lightly and pour it full of cerrosafe. The stuff melts at 187* IIRC. Knock it out with an old cleaning rod. Real simple. Might also ask the fella you bought it from for the widows # and give her a call to see if you could look at his dies and ammo if she hasn't already gotten rid of the stuff........

featherbomb- I was thinking along the same line as you about the dies. The guy I got it from was selling all the deceased persons stuff. I would have thought there would have been some dies and brass in there somewhere. Maybe I'll give him a call today!!

Well, we're getting closer to finding out what caliber it is. Still have not cast the chamber cause the guy thats going to help me is not available today but... we did shove the sholder way back on a 222 and trimmed the neck and got a round to chamber. It was a good 1/4 inch shorter than a standard 223 case. Looks as though it has a 45 degree shoulder also. Its really flat in the area of the shoulder.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog

"... I've got a butt load of 222 mag brass and dies so will probably end up re-chambering to triple duece mag.

That 222 Mag brass is NOOooooooo good!

You need to get rid of it in a safe place - I have such a place!!

wink.gif

Smells like a 22PPC to me.

ETA,,,, measureing the bolt face will tell ya if it is.
A common practice is to open up a 378 bolt to 441 and add a Saco extractor to 700's.
If it is a 22PPC, I'd shoot it before rechambering.

PS,,, 22PPC case measures 1.515 with a 30 degree shoulder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RePeteSmells like a 22PPC to me.

ETA,,,, measureing the bolt face will tell ya if it is.
A common practice is to open up a 378 bolt to 441 and add a Saco extractor to 700's.
If it is a 22PPC, I'd shoot it before rechambering.

PS,,, 22PPC case measures 1.515 with a 30 degree shoulder.

Exactly what I was going to say, but you beat me to Charlie. Leaving it chambered as a 22PPC would be a wise decision.

Its a 223 bolt face. Talked to a guy this after noon and he thinks its an old BR round from the 70's. He said he used to shoot one years ago. Its a 22 45S. 22 caliber, 45 degree shoulder, S-Short. We took a 222 case and shortened it about .180, trimmed and turned the neck and it chambers smooth as silk. Dies will be as hard to find as lips on a chicken and probably way more costly than a chamber job. Someone did a ton of work on this old rifle. The bolt was originally a standard bolt face and they have sleeved it to a small bolt face. In doing this, they covered the ejector so it extracts but does not eject, no biggy there. They have added a mini 14 extractor, nice add on and what we are thinking is a Webb 2oz trigger. They have added a stub, for lack of a better word, behind the recoil lug that the front receiver screw goes into and acts as a second lug as its got a spot bedded in the stock for it to set. Barrel is 20" and heavy with a polished finish. It sets in a brown laminate thumbhole stock. Its got a bump or two but acually a very nice rifle. I paid less than the cost of a used Remmington action for it, so I gotta get it up and running. Thanks for the help to all, its kinda like a mystery and we have to solve it!! Thanks again-Bill

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIts a 223 bolt face. Talked to a guy this after noon and he thinks its an old BR round from the 70's. He said he used to shoot one years ago. Its a 22 45S. 22 caliber, 45 degree shoulder, S-Short. We took a 222 case and shortened it about .180, trimmed and turned the neck and it chambers smooth as silk. Dies will be as hard to find as lips on a chicken and probably way more costly than a chamber job. Someone did a ton of work on this old rifle. The bolt was originally a standard bolt face and they have sleeved it to a small bolt face. In doing this, they covered the ejector so it extracts but does not eject, no biggy there. They have added a mini 14 extractor, nice add on and what we are thinking is a Webb 2oz trigger. They have added a stub, for lack of a better word, behind the recoil lug that the front receiver screw goes into and acts as a second lug as its got a spot bedded in the stock for it to set. Barrel is 20" and heavy with a polished finish. It sets in a brown laminate thumbhole stock. Its got a bump or two but acually a very nice rifle. I paid less than the cost of a used Remmington action for it, so I gotta get it up and running. Thanks for the help to all, its kinda like a mystery and we have to solve it!! Thanks again-Bill

Sure would like to see a photo of this beauty.

Back