NIGHT RAT SHOOTIN ON FARMS

BAYSTATE YOTE

Hey All

Went on a barn yard sniping mission last night at my cousins dairy farm,then I sopped at another spot and its a good thing I did it was crawlin with rats!!

At 8.00 p.m. I pulled up to the dairy farm,the rats have been living in the sides of the calf barns,they jump on the calf as its laying down and run along the calf and jump into the feed pales!!! The pour calfs cant sleep because the rats seem to startle the them a lot. Because the barn is full of calfs,I shoot from the outside at the edges of the building,the rats run along in little trenchs,I put some milled corn feed in piles and that lures them out for the shot.I dumped about (8) outside and then I took a walk inside and saw a monster run into a hole in the side,it was a safe spot to shoot so I waited in the dark for a few minutes and curios george got a pellet in the noggin!!
cool.gif

At about 10.00 p.m. I figured it was time to go home,on my way I hit my pigeon farm,I was there a few weeks ago and did not see a rat.Well I sat on one side of the barn and saw nothing,then I decided to go on the other side and see what was going on. Well I backed into place and waited a bit.I turned on the Night Vision and the Infrared illuminator,and holy cow!! I see eyes everywhere!! I shot till about 12.30.pm. and picked up (15) and I had a ton of head shots where they ran back under the barn or fell back into the holes. The farmer will be happpy when I give him an after action report.
laugh.gif

Dairy farm
100_3119.jpg

100_3121.jpg

100_3122.jpg

100_3123.jpg

100_3124.jpg

100_3125.jpg

100_3126.jpg

100_3127.jpg

100_3128.jpg

100_3132.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shooting BAYSTATE!! Think I might check out the farms that I hunt and give it a try! I have a RWs pellet rifle that would be perfect for the job.

Originally Posted By: 1up5downNice shooting BAYSTATE!! Think I might check out the farms that I hunt and give it a try! I have a RWs pellet rifle that would be perfect for the job.

Your ready to go!! Just add a small lite with a momentary switch and your good to go!! Dont get discouraged if you dont get any first time out,there is a little bit of a learning curve,first you have to find the spot on the farm where they are,food,water and shelter is key. Have fun,it will get addicting!!!!
thumbup1.gif

I had another farmer call me today,word gets around,I have two new spots to hit saturday night.
laugh.gif

Hey Baystate your really getting me fired up here to do some Ratin! I do have a couple of questions. Is Warmer months better than colder or visa versa ?? Have you ever used your FP with Rat Distress or Rat Duet in the barn to call them since Rats are cannibalistic ?? And is Green light better than Red Light ?? Just a thought....Jeff
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BAYSTATE YOTEOriginally Posted By: 1up5downNice shooting BAYSTATE!! Think I might check out the farms that I hunt and give it a try! I have a RWs pellet rifle that would be perfect for the job.

Your ready to go!! Just add a small lite with a momentary switch and your good to go!! Dont get discouraged if you dont get any first time out,there is a little bit of a learning curve,first you have to find the spot on the farm where they are,food,water and shelter is key. Have fun,it will get addicting!!!!
thumbup1.gif

I had another farmer call me today,word gets around,I have two new spots to hit saturday night.
laugh.gif

If you would, please post some pics of your rifle/rig.

Thanks, Dave

Gotta be careful when hunting rats, sometimes they freak out and run right up your pants leg trying to get away....NV Stealth is the answer!

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Hey Baystate your really getting me fired up here to do some Ratin! I do have a couple of questions. Is Warmer months better than colder or visa versa ?? Have you ever used your FP with Rat Distress or Rat Duet in the barn to call them since Rats are cannibalistic ?? And is Green light better than Red Light ?? Just a thought....Jeff
smile.gif

Jeff
Those are great questions,as for cold or warm I cant tell you yet,I have never shot in warm weather.As for lighting,my buddy that got me into it,uses a white lite,I used my green laser Genetics once, and it worked,but when I got my night vision,well that was that for the lites.Night Vision is just awesome if you have it for rats. But give any lite you have a shot,and I am still learning if you learn any tactics that we could use I would love to see you post!!

Regarding calling that is an awesome idea,I never thought of that but why would it not work?Rats are bigtime curious,infact I will try it saturday night,I dont have rat sounds on my WildLife Tech caller but I do have some mouse sounds,hey we have nothing to loose!!! Its only rats,who cares!!

Here is my Benjiman Marauder,with a PVS-14 mounted on the back,note the Infrared torch mounted on the front to lite those little eyes up!!!

100_2832.jpg

100_2833.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Dave
I would like to hear how you guys make out in your rat shootin excursions.

Here are some other items to bring along,weedwacker,hedge trimmers to remove grass and brush from the target area,this will give you better shots of course but also you dont want any richocetts off brush.

I sit in my truck most of the time with a board in my window to rest the rifle on and slide side to side for scanning.I also bring a monster cofee and turn on my talk radio.If it gets cold I fire up the truck once in a while.It does not spook the rats because all day and night they hear farm equipment making noise.

All you need is some CHEESE for bait!
tt2.gif

Nice Air Rifle and NV gear, I am envious of your setup!

I got a scope adapter for the Leopold 2-7X scope on my RWS 34 and will try mounting the PVS-14 on it this coming weekend.

Pup
That is going to be a killer set up man!! I can not wait to see you guys post,and tell us how much of a blast you had!!
thumbup.gif

I just had a farmer call me about some racoons attacking his sweet corn in the summer,he said the big problem is they only come out at night!! I told him that would not be a problem,He He.The PVS-14 will go on the .17 HMR in seconds.
thumbup1.gif

Hey Baystate your Benji is that a .22 I want to build me a Rat Specific Airgun Cant wait till i get my Tax's done,then I might be able to afford a Air force Talon PCP in .22 But I understand that after you buy the Rifle there are other things you have to get just to shoot it!!! Might just get a RWS in a side cock,be cheaper. Put my XLR100 kill light in Red on it or do you think that may be to bright??

Last edited:
Back