Savage LRH

I suppose that could be arranged. Prolly be tomorrow.

I carried mine five miles in the October heat on an antelope hunt last year. The Harris bipods were on it, like always. I also had my Camelbak Hellion fully charged with nunn electrolytes and all hunting gear. It was heavier than I care to go mobile with. I also had to worm crawl through the grass to get a shot on a goat. I know old habits die hard, but I probably should have tried a different approach. This rifle would be the one to camp on a promontory and take a long poke from a solid rest. Hopefully, within a few hundred yards of the truck.

If tall grass or terrain dictate an epic sneak it's not my first choice. Then again, I haven't tried a drag bag.

I'll take it along for antelope again next year, but if'n I need to sneak I'll grab the shorter and lighter 6mm284.

The 111LRH will likely get the nod for bear, as the walking is easy.

Elk, and if I am really lucky, sheep will earn the .338Win.

I guess in a nutshell, it all depends on a guy's threshold for weight. Lots of guys hunt the high country with an Accumark .30-378, to me that's WAY to heavy. The 111 LRH is a little lighter, but only a little. It gets heavy in a hurry when the grade gets steep and the oxygen starts to thin.

Last edited:
I've got a 7mm Rem Mag in a Stevens 200, but I put a black "Savage" stock on it with a EGW rail and a Rifle Basix. It not a bad shooter buy any means but, not quite as tight as yours.

I have often thought of changing the bolt and making a 6.5-06, But I have a soft spot in my heart for factory rifles that shoot like that!

Looks good to me thanks for the info buddy.

Quote:Got any pics of the Rifle?

Oops. I forgot. Nothing special anyways, but here....

100_3335.jpg

I have been thinking about it quite a bit.
This thing might be a more portable hunter if used with a pack like the Eberlestock with the scabbard in the center of the pack. It wears on you after a few hours of hanging off one shoulder or the other.

That thing looks Sharp! Does it have the light weight accu-trigger that goes down to 1.5 lbs? Like the Nikon! Thats what all my center-fire's wear.

Quote:Does it have the light weight accu-trigger that goes down to 1.5 lbs?

I dunno. All I can tell you is that it is not the orange one that goes down to 6 oz., and that I would never hunt with a 1.5# trigger. 2.5 to 3 pounds is my preferred minimum.

Good question dmpowder. Was that with an "out of the box" Remmy?

Originally Posted By: dmpowderMPFD and pahntr760: Is that out of the box groups or have they been bedded trigger work and all that good stuff?

I adjusted the trigger on mine and found a load for it, other then that box stock. I adjust the triggers on all my rifles, Winchester's, Remington's, and Savage's.

I have both Savage's and Remington's. Both need some kind of work to shot their very best. To say otherwise is foolish...

They are not bedded. Trigger adjusted. Tailored loads.

I have replaced one stock, for a BC, because I was not happy with the plastic factory stock.

I have nothing against Savage. Just the guys who talk bad on Remington for no reason. I own a couple of Savage now, and they are good rifles. ('cept the accu-trigger...I can't get used to em!)

I had to put a Bell and Carlson stock on the model 12fv I had to get it to shoot its best consistently.

If "out of the box" stock is the requirement, I have a Mossberg that can compete in that class. This was from a $244 100 ATR in .243 with a 5 lbs. (stock) trigger and a $40 Simmons Pro-Sport scope bought at Walmart. The circle is an outline of a dime...
CIMG1922.jpg

Quote:I have a Mossberg that can compete in that class.

I must admit to being surprised by this. Does it do it regularly?
I had a dynamite Remington in .375 H&H mag. Foolishly I sold it. It consistently shot Mickey Mouse shaped groups with 270 grain Sierra's over IMR4064. The next Remington I tried was 700 LVSF in .22-250. I could not get it to group consistently for anything. It was always right around an inch, but that's the worst shooting .22-250 I have ever owned. The other two were Savages.

The barrel fluting had a ridiculous amount of bit chatter, and the action felt like stabbing a rusty screwdriver through a beer can. The B&C stock had a heck of a lean and touched the barrel on the left side no matter what I did for bedding. Big difference from the first experience, and enough to say, no thanks. A buddy of mine has an old BDL 7mmRM that I would buy in a heartbeat given the chance, but I'll pass on their newer stuff.

Last edited:
Yes the Mossberg does shoot that well consistently, but I don't use it much anymore. To be honest, if I can't get a rifle to shot at least .5" through tinkering, loading, or otherwise, it doesn't get to stay at my house. I know what you mean about lusting after another mans rifle. My best friend has a 10 FP in .308 that has shot a whole file cabinet full of 3 shot groups you could cover with a dime! That is doing pretty well for a 30 cal...

Originally Posted By: cornstalker This thing might be a more portable hunter if used with a pack like the Eberlestock with the scabbard in the center of the pack. It wears on you after a few hours of hanging off one shoulder or the other.

Eberlestock is a good idea. You might also consider the Outlaw Sling by Timber Butte Outdoors. It does what you're looking for pretty inexpensively. I use one when I have to carry my sixteen pound LR rig. It works especially well with some flushmount sling swivels on the left side of the rifle. That puts the rifle flat on your back with the bolt away from you. (Sorry for the highjack.)

http://no-off-season.com/store/slings/Outlaw-Sling

http://www.timberbutteoutdoors.com/products.html

No hi-jacking here. This thread is open for all types of conversation. Do you carry them? I'd be interested.

Looks like a handy sling, Mr. Titus. I pretty much always carry a backpack, though.

I can't see how it would work while sporting a pack.

BTW, the site looks great.

Originally Posted By: RuddyOriginally Posted By: MPFD Just wanted to know if anyone had one yet and what kind of groups it was making.

It's a Savage gonna group better than any Remmy out there
ohmy.gif
Ruddy- i shoot against savages all the time in F-class. with my remington/krieger. it is a lot of fun. grin. roninflag

Originally Posted By: RONINFLAG Ruddy- i shoot against savages all the time in F-class. with my remington/krieger. it is a lot of fun. grin. roninflag

You should just make that your sig line here and on LRH...

wink.gif

23sb18i.jpg

My Savage LRH in 6.5x284 is a good shooter. With a Leupold 4.5x14 CDS scope it fits very well in an Eberlestock J104 pack. The pack when expanded is large enough to pack out a boned out deer or antelope

Sweet looking setup!

Will the rifle still fit in the scabbard with bipods on?

I suppose they would snag, but just curious....

Last edited:
Back