7mm RM 162gr A-Max loads

F you want to get a bit more speed and you have it available
Look at so loader 19. That's what I started loading mine with 6 years ago. I've moved around with powders cause I get board, I don't own a crony if I need to use one my local gun dealer has one available.

Originally Posted By: willy1947

I own 3 / 7mm rem mag rifles. I only load 140gr bullets. They shoot best for me.

If I need a 150+gr bullets, I go to 30cal. 155gr for 308win & 168gr for my 300 win mag.

It's not the weight I'm after, it's the BC. Those Amax's have a BC of .625 compared to a 140 Btip of .485, the Amax blows it out of the water with downrange energy, speed, and drop, with less wind deflection to boot. I'm setting my rifle up for 60+ yard deer/antelope where that makes a huge difference.

I am old school, my rifles twist rate loves 140gr. I have one load for all three of my 7mm's.

2 Remington 700's
1 Ruger No.1

120gr for ,277
140gr for .284
160gr for .300

The 140 gr ttsx is my go to bullet for hunting whitetail up. I'll use the amax or bergers but I like them for hunting. I'm getting right at 3300 with my ttsx load they are fast enough yu don't need the high bc

You're right for "normal" hunting ranges, 400 and under, but for 600-1000 yard hunting/target work, the bigger, slower, higher BC bullet provides double the energy, HALF the wind drift, less drop and more velocity to 1000 yards than the lighter bullet.

Last edited:
if you really want bc look into the 180 bergers. id think youd still get 2600 out of them. im thinking off the top of my head they are like a .736?

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishif you really want bc look into the 180 bergers. id think youd still get 2600 out of them. im thinking off the top of my head they are like a .736?

I'll look into them. Not sure the twist is right. Been thinking about trying their 168 gr Hunting VLD. Then it'd be ready for deer or elk. One bullet does all. There's guys saying the Amax will work for elk, but not sure I'd want to try them.

Back