This guy is probably glad he had an AR

justin10mm

Exclusive: Family shot at, threatened by drug cartel in Tucson

http://www.examiner.com/drug-cartel-in-n...g-cartel-tucson

Last month, a man I will refer to as “Willie” took his 9-year-old son coyote hunting less than 10 miles southwest of Tucson, in a very rural area close to the San Xavier del Bac Mission which is located on the Tohono O’odham Indian Reservation. As the two stood outside their vehicle gathering their gear, a truck pulled up a few yards in front of them.

Both the driver and passenger of this truck exited the vehicle and began staring at Willie, at first he thought they may simply be in this rather remote area for the same reason, until the passenger began shouting at he and his son in Spanish.

Willie does not speak Spanish and could not understand what the man was saying, but feeling uneasy, he told his son to get back inside their vehicle.

Then, he noticed the passenger reaching for something in his waistband…it was a pistol.

According to Willie, the gun misfired as he withdrew it, nearly hitting his cohort.

The two men did not see what Willie had in his hands, as the door of his truck blocked their view…It was an AR-15.

With the man taking aim at him, Willie opened fire, hitting their vehicle several times. The two quickly fled the scene.

Not anxious to see if the two may return, Willie jumped into the vehicle with his son and headed back for town. As they were driving along, they began to hear “popping” sounds coming from some distance behind them.

The two men in the truck were following them and shooting at them.

Willie floored the accelerator, but the shots continued. He raced to the top of a hill, turned his vehicle sideways and positioned his rifle on the hood of his truck and began firing back at them.

He said he “pumped round after round” (later discovered to be 12 rounds) into the grill of their truck until smoke began pouring from the vehicle. The men leaped from the now-stalled truck and ran off into the desert.

Willie called 911 and the Border Patrol reportedly showed up 45 minutes later. BP agents doused the smoldering truck with fire extinguishers and towed it away.

He says the Border Patrol told him “at least four times” to keep this incident quiet and do not talk about it to anyone. The reason given to him was reportedly “the cartel will come back and kill you.”

Fearing reprisals and understandably nervous for his family’s safety, Willie did just that…he kept quiet.

So, why is he speaking now?

Three weeks ago, a “sedan with darkened windows” began showing up outside the family’s home in Tucson. On two separate occasions, the family observed this vehicle positioned just a few doors down for about two hours each time.

Both times, they called the Pima County Sheriff’s Office and on both occasions, the vehicle left only moments before a deputy arrived (Indicating the individual(s) may have a police scanner in their vehicle.).

Also, rather than driving past the house, the vehicle in question backed down the street both times. Perhaps, as not to allow the family to see their license plate number (Arizona only requires vehicles display one plate).

Then, about a week later, a man approached Willie outside his house and began a seemingly friendly conversation with him.

During the course of this chat, the man stated that he “used to run drugs for the cartel” and he understood that he “had recently had some trouble with them.”

This unidentified man told Willie that he should continue to keep quiet about the shootout or he and his family “would be killed.”

After this contact, Willie’s wife became so terrified she left with the children and is now staying with friends.

Willie is of course, frightened for the lives of his family but he is also angry that criminals are allowed to operate with such impunity in this country and that an American family must now live in fear from a foreign drug cartel…simply for being in the wrong place at the wrong time (BUT STILL IN THE U.S.).

More than likely, this man and his son inadvertently drove into a pre-determined ‘drop’ situation. Cartel henchmen often meet in remote areas to exchange drugs or money.

As I said at the beginning of this report, this information was given to me by a very trusted and reliable source who has known this man and his family for many years…After multiple conversations and some independent checking, I have no doubt that this report is accurate.

If enough publicity can be afforded to this case, “Willie” has said that he may be willing to speak publicly about these experiences, in hopes that he may become “too visible to touch.”

BS like this really peeves me off. I say if border partol sees them crossing illegally, its a done deal!!!! Hang em from trees maybe they will get the hint. I would of been shooting for the windshield. Stuff like this very seldom happens but its the reason i hunt with a full 30rd clip. Thats a very messed up situation. I wonder how they found out where he lived.

thumbup1.gif
yea.... front grill is not where I would have been aiming....

Thats some scary stuff right there. It's the main reason I don't hunt south of I-10 here in Newer Mexico. There is a rancher down there I know who says he has apx 150 incidents a year with drug running illegles, packing "prouduct" through his property. The Feds just tell him it's thier job to protect society as whole, not the individules of that society. Protect yourself don't leave it to them.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223 I wonder how they found out where he lived.

They followed him and probably got his tag number. With that they were one dirty cop away from having all the info they needed...

While this story may be true, I have a question. The first time they pulled a gun on Willie and his kid...would that not have been enough cause for him to use deadly force?

The second time...they were shooting at him, after his attempt to flee, his perception was that they were intent on harming him or his son, would that not have justified use of deadly force?

I don't know what I would have done, but I certainly would like to think I would have shot through the windshield of an advancing truck containing the persons that just tried to shoot me and boy.

Regardless of the BP showing up, two dead suspect can't really defend their actions. I would think the evidence would have spoken for itself.

IDK I'd have to wonder if he was shooting something like a Vamx if the penetration on the windshield would have been sufficient.

1: Why did the Border Patrol respond instead of the local Sheriff's Deputies along with the State Police? This alone makes me suspicious of the whole story.
2: He had an AR-15 and fired only 12 rounds into the grill of an oncoming truck? Well he may have stopped firing to save ammo as he may have been getting low on ammo.

“The two men in the truck were following them and shooting at them.
Willie floored the accelerator, but the shots continued. He raced to the top of a hill, turned his vehicle sideways and positioned his rifle on the hood of his truck and began firing back at them.”

Unless the attackers were gaining why would one stop? Would it not be more prudent to avoid further gun play if possible. Of course I wasn't there. But, overall the story seems a bit suspicious.

as soon as someone draws a gun and threatens me, the shots would be to kill. not to stop a truck, no warning shots, shoot to kill.

I live here...been down there...if anyone pulls a gun on me or my boy without a badge ... it's not the grill my friends.

and BP is the law there.

Last edited:
I don't live down in that area nor can I pretend to understand a situation like that. Whether the story is true or not is irrelevant to me but it does raise a talking point to hunters in that area. Be prepared for anything that may show up to your hunting spot and be safe. Best wishes to the man involved and any others who might run across an unfortunate situation.

Irregardless of the validity of this story, things like this are very common south of I10. I have coues deer hunted the last several years in the NM bootheel area and have seen alot of these types on narco banditos both being chased by the border patrol or mule training drugs as I glassed opposing ridges. It is a very dangerous place to be right now.

Good one. This would be a good read in Church of the Painful Truth (sadly, I`m sure).
Doubt I`ll be hunting that neck of the woods any time soon, however just in case I belive I`ll pack the LR308 w/FMJ (less pelt damage)..oh and a side arm for snakes.
Agree with much that has been posted; a sad day when a family can`t feel safe at home in the good `ol USA.

Originally Posted By: rabbitsquealI would have shot the grill too...The one on his face!!

+2 on that ...You all know if it ever happens to you. I would almost bet a lot that I have that IF someone was shooting at you and your Family that you would all but crap yourself. That's natural reaction is to GET THE HE!! OUT OF THE WAY !!! Unless you are the Taliban of course and stand in the middle of FIRE. I have a few Nebraska State Patrol friends and they both have been in the Patrol for several yrs now and both have been shot at. At a routine traffic stop. Then POP POP POP. Both said that they all but mudded their drawers..

Back