the utah legislature finally did it, please read

Originally Posted By: FursniperOriginally Posted By: cousinbillI think one easy step to fixing the broken bounty system would be to making the bounty payable only to resident hunters, then at least the tax money is going back to the citizens that payed it in the first place and will cut down on out of state hunters trying to cheat the system.

There is nothing to stop nonresident hunters from giving their coyotes to Utah residents to collect a bounty. There is an average of 30,000 to 40,000 coyotes taken each year by sport hunting in AZ. At $50/coyote thats 1.5 to 2 million in potential bounties without killing one coyote in Utah. I do realize that nobody in Arizona or Utah would actually do that.
unsure.gif
sneaky2.gif

top that off with in the past you had to be a resident of that county to collect the bounty, so if you were not that meant cutting a resident of that county in on the bounty money. so why not not throw in some nevada or wyoming coyotes in for good measure its all the same and everyone else is doing it too. thats my issue.

the other issue is can anyone here really say that utah has better coyote numbers than neighboring states??? if you do ummm you haven't been hunting much. as for calling and learning new tricks. calling coyotes isn't rocket science, with some exceptions there is no magic call or sound. go call coyotes in october, go back out in january and report your level of satisfaction with the january hunt provided its on public land. thats what calling pressure does and encouraging people that otherwise would have stayed home isn't helpful.

I used to do alot of calling in elko county but aerial gunning and calling pressure has made the area pretty much suck for calling. this new law actually provides funding to make that happen in more areas. the question is would you rather put 700 miles on your truck and call 2 coyotes and collect $100 bucks, or would you rather call in 7 coyotes and collect nothing?? I will take 7 coyotes and the $100 bucks will be long forgotten. Its not about money between rifles and optics I have like 7 grand in equipment to go hunt the coyotes because I love doing it. I would rather enjoy a good hunt than the government feeling like they are doing something and wasting tax dollars on out of state coyotes. if you think this is going to help you be able to drive far enough away from the crowds you got another thing coming. the bounty will make guys think oh, lets drive an extra 100 miles the coyotes will pay for the fuel.

Originally Posted By: UtahcallerMan you have more faith in the Utah DWR handling of this than I do,I really can't think of very many things they have managed efficiently to date.So why should I expect anything differently with the coyotes.

The alternative is have county governments oversee state property (coyotes) and support a corrupt bounty system to make landowners richer at tax payers expense. The Utah DWR would not have motives to make landowners rich.

Well first off let me say,I've killed more coyotes here in Utah in the last 2 years than I have in the previous 10.....So to say there are few coyotes in Utah is ridiculous. Sure I've had to change a few things to get more but thats the evolution of the sport.

Steve,

Sounds like you have more issues than just a Bounty. You complain that there will be tons of pressure on YOUR Utah coyotes by NON SERIOUS CALLERS,which will effect your quality experience in the field. But then you complain that guys will go to other more Coyote Rich States to collect the bounty. Which is it?

And yes you are right there are better states for calling coyotes.No argument here. That's why I put thousands of miles on my truck each year.

"go call coyotes in october, go back out in january and report your level of satisfaction with the january hunt provided its on public land. thats what calling pressure does and encouraging people that otherwise would have stayed home isn't helpful".

That's Funny...... That is how it works in Every area regardless of the State you hunt in. In October the Population of the Coyotes are at there highest levels and YOY are out on there own. So of course there are going to be more coyotes called and killed. By January they are at there lowest Numbers and have heard the call and are more educated,not to mention that there interest is in breading at that time too. But thats how it is in every state not just Utah. lol

"the question is would you rather put 700 miles on your truck and call 2 coyotes and collect $100 bucks, or would you rather call in 7 coyotes and collect nothing?? I will take 7 coyotes and the $100 bucks will be long forgotten"

Don't understand that one. Why not just kill the 7 coyotes and collect $350.00...... lol

Fursniper,

"The Utah DWR will not have any motives to make landowners rich."

How is this Bounty going to make Landowners Rich. Most of the reason for this Bounty is to help Big game herds come back,or to help some of our ranchers save some of there Animals. Whether it works or not is not my point.But I definitely don't think it's to make landowners Rich.

Good Hunting Chad

Everyone has a different opinion and I respect that, because I have one too.

As long as it's legal and ethical, I could care less what all the other callers are doing. I don't have time to even give it a second thought. Even if I did have the time, what's the point? What "everyone else" is doing isn't going to matter a hill of beans to me. I'll still get mine. I average 35-45 "true" Utah coyotes per year. I'll be collecting the bounty with a smile on my face. Good Hunting!

Here is a link explaining senate bills SB 87 and SB 245 (copy/paste the link into your browser). Looks like 1.1 million of taxpayers money is being proposed for bounties which is a system that has a history of not working.

http://biggameforever.org/blog/2012/02/29/how-do-we-fix-utah%E2%80%99s-mule-deer-herd/

An average of 35-45 "true" Utah coyotes is a good average,especially if you are limited to public areas and weekends of hunting. Those are great numbers if you are only hunting public areas,and weekends only during the Fur season(Nov.-Feb.).

If you have access to lots of private land along with public land,and can hunt more than 2 days a week and aren't concerned with saving the fur(meaning hunting all year long),those numbers are just mediocre ...

But it's all relative to your given situation.

Good Hunting Chad

Last edited:
"-top that off with in the past you had to be a resident of that county to collect the bounty, so if you were not that meant cutting a resident of that county in on the bounty money.-"

so are you saying if we own land in a county and live out of state we shouldnt be able to collect? i live in idaho but have ground in utah, i think it would be nice when i visit family there and if i get a chance to shoot coyote or two to turn them in and help pay for some gas. but thats just me

If it will cost that much money, it wont last long. People driving "the extra 100 miles" arent new callers. they will be out regardless. But your probably right it will hurt the hunting so i would recommend YOU stay home.

Steve, Read your link, it says it has NOT passed the house, quote "If the bill is also passed by the House, Okerlund hopes the increase will encourage hunters to kill 20,000 or more of the animals."

Does anyone know what Gov. Herbert stance on this is? Or will he buckle under like he did about the access to some of the greatest fly fishing blue ribbon trout streams in the country that are no longer available, all because his brother or relative owns property along one of the streams.

I wonder who many ranchers and farmers are already lining his pockets so he signs this bill into law.

As if Utah doesnt have other more important issues to worry about and fix or resolve.

wow you guys blame and bich about the ranchers yet you get mad when they tell you no. will the circle of stupidity be broken?

Last edited:
"I wonder who many ranchers and farmers are already lining his pockets so he signs this bill into law".

Yeah lets blame those darn Farmers and Ranchers for just trying to protect there assets....lol

"As if Utah doesnt have other more important issues to worry about and fix or resolve."

Like what? All the other things Government has touched it has failed at. You can bank on the fact that if the Government is funding it it is a failed policy,whether it be Bounties or anything else they stick there hands into..

Good Hunting Chad

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VarmintsBewareDoes anyone know what Gov. Herbert stance on this is?

The Governor just signed the bill on March 17th.

Last edited:
This is VERY stupid . I just got a new Remington .223 a while ago then found this out . I have not even shot the gun yet or hunted yotes for a month . Everyone will be chasing coyotes , trespassing , running them over with their cars , snow machines or what ever . I love to hunt coyotes even with no bounty . Where in Utah do we have too many ?? Not Up here thats for sure . Varmints guns are flying off the shelves here in Cache valley at both Al's and Cal Ranch .

These bills are going to be a boon doggle for people to receive taxpayers money for personal gain and open the door for fraud. I can also foresee Utah landowners accepting out of state coyotes from nonresidents in exchange for them to hunt deer and elk on their private property.
cursing.gif

Back