who all hunts coyotes with a .308?

chris fodge

What would be a good ammo choice? Is this way over kill? Ive got a sweet shooting 308 that i have a lot of confidence in. Just curious if anybody else is.

There are a few fields at a dairy close by. When the silage choppers run there is only one vantage point to shoot from. About 200 yards up on a cliff. I use my 10FP in 308 with either 165's or my 175 loads.

Oh, yes...
although the 175smks are a hit or miss if ur a fur saver...

DSC00232.jpg

Use what shoots well for ya, I'm using federal gold medal. I've had bullets enter and explode, I've had them enter and create a fist sized hole coming out.

Fur friendly really isn't the name of the game here, so if you've got a pet load that is giving you that confidence in your 308, use it.

I started out hunting with my .308 and the TAP FPD loads tore the pelts ridiculously. But then again when I switched over to 32 gr. V-maxes out of my .204 it did the same, fragmenting upon impact. Man do I need to start reloading.

I've not hunted coyote with a .308...but I've seen one split in two with a .308. I think it was on Randy's Truth VII. Yowza! May have been a 7mm-08 but still... tweren't purty at all.

I've shot well over 100 with a 308 shooting 150 grn core locks. I switched to that load years ago when fur was worth something because it was fairly fur friendly if you shot them right. Hit shoulder or pelvis and it is a grenade, shoot them behind the shoulder 30 cal. in 1/2 hole on the exit, easy to sew. I got tired of blowing them up with a 22-250 or 243. I switched to using a 17 rem. when the wind wasn't blowing and the 308 in the wind and had better results.

drscott

Willy1947, what kinda groups are you getting with the sabot loads? I love my .308. Ive killed deer with it at 400 yards. Its a 700 sps stainless sythetic. Ive got a prostaff 3x9 on it with the bdc. With 150 grain corelocs ive been getting 7/8" 5 shot groups at 200 yards. What else could i do to make this even more accurate. I plan on putting a more power scope on it. I have a 22-250, but i can shoot this .308 alot better. Maybe i just have more confidence in it. I know nothing about handloading, but would love to start. I dont even know where to begin though. Any ideas?

Well i killed a coyote today with my 308. He was 200 yards running full blast broadside. I didnt lead him enough and hit him bout 5 inches behimd the shoulder. When i walked out to get him his guts was hanging out the exit hole. 150 grain corelocs must be to much! Does anybody know a lighter grain factory ammo? Will fmj work? I know they wont expand any. Right?

NO!
save the fmj rounds for shooting through steel, they are not a hunting bullet.

And 7/8" @ 200, that is under 1/2moa, factory gun and factory ammo, you should go buy a lottery ticket.

You are trying to solve problems you don't have, you have a great thing going there, go ahead and try some hornady TAP 110'S for fur, but at the end of the day, you've found a [beeep] of a combo already.

Good hunting.

130g Speer TNT's with 51.5g of win 748 and a Fed 210 is doing 3150 fps and shooting tiny clusters.

This is a very flat shooting load, needless to say.

I think with that big of a caliber, that velocity is the key to keeping your fur intact. I think the slower it's going less expansion you're gonna have.
My dad shot a young antelope in Wyoming one time with his .308 What's 180 grain silvertip. Animals about 300 yards away when we got to him there was hardly much of an exit wound at all. I can't imagine that big bullet was going very fast when it got there.
By comparison I saw a mule deer hanging camp that was hit with a 7 mm mag. It had an exit wound that I could have nearly stuck my head in.

Have you considered reduced load cast bullets?

Back