Scope for Prairie Dogs

When mirage becomes a problem around 14 power is as high as you zoom. Anything below 14 power will be usable. I personally like the 5.5 x 22 power. I also have a couple 6 x 20's and they also get used alot.

My favorite was 6.5-20X40 leupold vx3 with a varmint hunter reticle. That reticle really helped on hold over and wind drift. They also make that scope in a 4.5-14 if your pockets aren't too deep.

Originally Posted By: MikeWenzWhen mirage becomes a problem around 14 power is as high as you zoom. Anything below 14 power will be usable. I personally like the 5.5 x 22 power. I also have a couple 6 x 20's and they also get used alot.

Big +1 here.

It sure nice to be able to crank up the power on your scope on occasion to check out a potential target, but when the day warms and those heat shimmers start dancing it is nice to be able to crank the power down a bit. I have five varmint rifles (two 6-24X, three 6.5-20X) that I like for prairie dogs but you can bet that they see a lot more action at 12X or even 10X when the day warms up.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterGet a decent 6 to 20 variable. You will need the power powers when the mirage gets up.

And fine cross hairs. My $.02 worth.

Originally Posted By: mrmattjohnsonMy favorite was 6.5-20X40 leupold vx3 with a varmint hunter reticle. That reticle really helped on hold over and wind drift. They also make that scope in a 4.5-14 if your pockets aren't too deep.

Agree - I like this model and reticle combination, and get one with target knobs if you can. Combine it with a good range finder and a ballistics calculator and you can dial right in.

Back