EXPANDING MANDREL OR PIN LOCK ?

D Boyd

Ok guys I have bought myself a lathe and dove head first into this addictive call turning. I turned my first body today {which ended up looking more like a piece from a chess set
rolleyes.gif
}. I now have a new found respect for all of you who are turning out these outstanding calls seen here on PM. But while attacking this project I came to realize that I needed a different mandrel for working the inside of my call. My question to you seasoned vets is which type of mandrel should I purchase,an expanding madrel or a pin lock? And where do I come up with such an item. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Davy

I've used both, and both are nice. I prefer the expanding mandrells though from flinthills. I don't think he's selling anything right now though. In a pinch you can go to www.enco.com and do a search for expandable arbors, they are available in 1/2 and 5/8 and will work till you can get some from flinthills

Wade at webfoot custom calls has what ya need. He does not have the brass expandables in the collet version, just the MT version, but, he has steel expandables which work the same, just a bit shorter than the brass version. He also has straight pin lock mandrels too.
Mark

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys for the info. Like I said this is new to me so any input on any other items that I may need, is always appreciated. Thanks again.
Davy

Back