Question about new barrel

jkruger

This might be redundant but, is it worth my time and dollars to put a longer barrel on my Sav. model 10 to get more fps. out of my handloads? She has a 20" one on her now . I use it mostly for calling , but also some paper punching during the off season. I would also like to utilize this rife more for some longer range varminting in the future.
thanks guys.

Last edited:
If your satisfied with the accuracy now, I would say no. If accuracy is poor or un-satisfactory, then maybe/probably. Depending on caliber, a longer tube is only worth a couple hundred FPS at best. You might try some different powders and bullet weights before spending money on a new tube. JMO

I don't know what your chambering is?? But 20-21" is all you need for most small to medium chamberings. You could gain as much as 150fps with a 24" tube but for accuracy it is not necessary. Plus more wieght and length to negotiate when in the field.

If it's working for you, I would leave as is. As far as loading goes, I would try to stay away from slow or slower burning powders, and stick with medium to faster burn rates for your tube length.

thanks. This rifle is in 223. My go to loads have H335 in them and are pretty accurate with 55gr. spbt. I doubt they are going 3300fps , but havent chronyed them either.
Your surely right concerning weight, it's heavy enough as is.

With load you listed I assure you are not getting 3300 FPS,more like 3,000-3100 FPS. In that caliber no way would I spend extra $$$$ on bbl for a 5% velocity gain. Buy a 22-250 with 24 " bbl for a 15% velocity gain.

Shucks, you could get you a 24" ER Shaw barrel in .223 AI and then you'd really have something better. I get 3700 fps out of 50 grain bullets and right at 4000 fps with the 40 grain ones.

Savages are pretty easy to swap barrels on as it is, and this way you could have lots more steam with the AI and will have that 20 inch tube if you wanted to put it back on some day.

I bought my Shaw barrel as a standard .223 barrel and had it chambered to AI before I installed it. I got it on sale for $150 but I know that they are more now. The good thing is that you can buy them from Shaw in .223 AI so all you have to do is install it and headspace it.

You can get .223 AI dies from a lot of makers but I bought a set of Lee dies from Midway for about $20. They work fine and load accurate ammmo. See no reason to spend more.

Wild cats AIs vs standard calibers. I shoot a 6x284 and had a 22-250 AI even with high velocities a hunter still need to judge distance and winds just as well when shooting varmints..... I still say leave that rifle as it is and buy another varmint rig in next biggest caliber. My AR-15 has a 20" bbl and I shot a coyotes in the head at 300 yds a couple extra inches of bbl length wouldn't of made him any deader.

Last edited:
I have a 20" bbl on my mod 7 in 243 win. The published data for the load was 3800 fps. My load crony'd average 3700. It's accurate. That's what's important. Accuracy trumps speed. PERIOD.

Originally Posted By: pahntr760I have a 20" bbl on my mod 7 in 243 win. The published data for the load was 3800 fps. My load crony'd average 3700. It's accurate. That's what's important. Accuracy trumps speed. PERIOD.
That's fast ! I take it that's a 58gr bullet your shooting.

Last edited:
Back