Predator hunting in sam houston national forest

Hey, this my first post. i'm not new to predator hunting, just new to the forum. I'm going to sam Houston State University next year, and I want to hunt coyotes and such in the Sam Houston National Forest. Anyone have any helpful information? where to hunt? places to stay away from? I kow the place is huge and I just don't know where to start.

While there are coyotes in Sam Houston National forest as well as other predators the main problem is finding areas where you can actually see them if you did call them in.
All of it I have seen is thickly forested with lots of understory brush/trees and the coyotes circle downwind under cover and are never seen.

I have hunted several areas of Texas where there are NO coyotes due to the presence of sheep and goats and massive predator elimination efforts in the past.

Keep in mind that you need the $48 annual Public Hunting permit, and hunter orange.

Also, buckshot is not allowed if you are using a shotgun.

Yes, i know about the fee. I have annual permit. And to Venatic, yeah, I know, but theres gotta be some secret honeyholes, where there are open areas. I hiked the lone star trail, which goes across the whole thing and didnt see much open areas, but i believe there has to be a few! And theres definately coyotes there. Ive heard plenty of them.

I'm not far off and have a ultralight aircraft, maybe I could fly it and gps mark any patures? just a thought but I dont' think there are many there that arnt covered in pot, LOL

Quote:I hiked the lone star trail, which goes across the whole thing and didnt see much open areas, but i believe there has to be a few!

You won't find any pastures on the Sam Houston National Forest. There may be some private pasture land around the boundaries, but nothing public.

You might find a food plot or two, not much.

I've hunted in the Sam Houston National Forest for over 15 plus years.

It is mainly shotgun type hunting and I like hunting off of 1375 around Lake Conroe (Stubblefield) at night.

When the Lake is low, I call along the banks and do well. You must be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Where the brush is thick and waste high, I use a ladder and get above it all, because when yotes come in, their head is down pushing through it with their head.

Best thing you can do is scout the areas before you start hunting which means get off of the trails and you might want to invest in a GPS too.

Welcome to PM and good luck!

PS: Lots of coonhunters (Hounds) that hunt in the Forest at night too!

Last edited:
Back