5 mm/35 SMc cartridges

FarmerShawn

Has anyone ever used this cartridge in an AR15? The 5mm has better balistics than a 22, and its a real laser. I have read that its also relatively easy on barrels, and extremely accurate. I think its a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 5mm or .204. But I could be wrong about that. I have been doing a lot of reading about wildcat cartridges lately and its all starting to blend together.

I've looked at it to try in an AR as well. I believe it's too short to run reliably without some spendy custom work. I haven't had a dummy round or two to play with, but from what I can tell, it could be tricky. If you do want about the most amazing reloading and in-depth cartridge info book ever, order a copy of the Garin family cartridge manual. Lots and lots of hours into making that one. Absolutely amazing. The Garin in pretty close to the SMc, but not quite as hot.
.20 Tactical/Practical are proven winners. If you're looking at performance, you might check out more of the .20 wildcats based on .220 Russian brass. .20 Beggs, BR, PPC, Dasher. These may not be long enough to feed reliably either, but you would have to talk to some builders. I can get the .20 Beggs to feed great with dummy rounds, but don't have a rifle for one yet. Robert Whitley didn't think the Beggs or .20 Grendel would feed well. He thought that the bullet was too short and by the time the bullet was hitting the feedramps that the case would come out of the magazine feedlips causing possible failure. They can all be done, it's just how easy and how expensive. Tony Rumore from Tromix used to do AR's and Mini 14's in .17 MIV without too much modification.

I have 1 it is about the size of a 22 mag. They were built in magazine or tube feed bolt rifles years ago. They quiet making the ammo. for some years but its back now. The magazine rifles with a little work shoot really well about 100 yds. you run out of rifle!!!!!

It looked like a hot load that would be great for small varments. It shoots at 4600 fps, so its like a 204 ruger turbo charged. Thanks for the information.

I have a savage pta barreled in the 5.35 smc and it is a laser beam. It is tough on barrels to a degree but what steel loves explosions in it all day and wont show signs of erosion and fire cracking. Running this cartridge in an AR-15 would be a difficult task as stealthman said,it is shirt and fat. If you want to make a dummy round,you can buy one or 2 pieces of brass from russ haydon as he is the only place you can buy the brass. and try it just to see if it will feed out of a magazine and not pop out before you get near the barrel.

Back