My ideal set-up, for new callers

crap....... now i feel like a perv
blushing.gif

sorry to Kirby-Dogg. could'nt resist

Good points everyone. It is important to think about the wind but the animal is using all of his senses. What Kirby is showing is not only about the wind. The coyote knows that the weakest smelling and hearing area is down wind so he uses all of his senses looking hearing and smelling in the downwind direction. Since his sense of smell is very good behind him he doesnt watch in that direction. The coyote can see also to the left and right easily. So if you approach from 10 or 2 oclock, then you stand a better chance that he wont see, hear, or smell you.

Back in the day in AZ all you had to do was go out and pick a spot and call and most days you would get action. Coyotes werent as smart then. Now days with more and more people out there the animals are learning too. More scouting planning and thinking is required to get action.

The good thing about these internet sites is that we can trade ideas and adapt them to our areas. It is a thinking sport now.

Kirby's "Ideal Setup" did not produce a coyote, by his own admission.

Tony's setup produced two coyotes.

I don't know about everyone else, but, for me, an "ideal setup" is one that produces coyotes.

Kirby, we get it! Anyone that has been on this forum for more that 2 days has seen your posts and pictures. For many of us, because of terrain, it just isn't possible to always make our approach cross wind.

Originally Posted By: Coyote_Hunter_AZKirby's "Ideal Setup" did not produce a coyote, by his own admission.

I don't know about everyone else, but, for me, an "ideal setup" is one that produces coyotes.

Kirby, we get it! Anyone that has been on this forum for more that 2 days has seen your posts and pictures. For many of us, because of terrain, it just isn't possible to always make our approach cross wind.
huh!? looks like kirbys ideas produce lots of yotes and or pics of them. Look at all his pics of them, he could have easily did face removal on the ones in some of the pics.

Originally Posted By: Coyote_Hunter_AZKirby's "Ideal Setup" did not produce a coyote, by his own admission.

Uh, you didn't see the dead coyote laying above the brush pile?
blink.gif

Besides AZ, this thread IS NOT about who can pee the farthest. If I had the coyote pop that Texas does. Et IF I so chose. I could hammer many coyotes. Another thing you apparently miss in my posts. Is I don't even try to kill most of the coyotes I do SEE. As I prefer to observe & learn from them. To pass on my info to the young hunters. There, now you have a CLUE? But then again maybe not?

Here ya go AZ, a coyote from last yr. I watched him travel near a mile into a Stout NorWester wind. Coyote traveled mainly on the down-wind slopes, angling it's way NorWest bound. Coyote is around 50-60' away in these pics. Guess what, no shots fired.

lone_coyote_2.jpg

lone_coyote_1_24_10.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures Kirby!
thumbup.gif

Coyote Hunter AZ, ideal set-ups or what any of us think are perfect stands do not always produce. If there are not coyotes in that area when you call it nothing will come in.

Every year I have some great set-ups that may not produce until I call there the third, fourth or fifth time. The coyotes may have been 3 to 5 miles away the first times I called it.

This is a great post.

IMHO every area and stand is unique. You got to think like dog to anticipate where they are and where they are going to go when you blow the call.

I like crosswind the best but have had luck with wind to my back as well. Wind to my face has yet to produce.

One thing I never do anymore is climb up on a hillside to overlook a large area, especially in the desert. The only time I setup on the hillside is if the hill side is forested and overlooking an open area. Then I can approach unseen through the trees. I prefer setting up in small clearing no more then about 100 yards across in the timber. in the desert I like to setup in washes and climb up the side for a better view but not so high that you can see out of the wash because that means they can see you too.

Stay low and give the animals a path to you from the cover you suspect them to be in. If you give them brush and ravines to travel in they will feel safe and suddenly pop out in front of you and stand at the edge looking or keep on charging. Just make sure that spot where they are going to show themselves is inside your effective range. You don't want to spot them at 500 yards! They don't want to cross that open area!

the illustrations are really good and IMHO most animals pick these leeward areas to bed down including dogs, jack rabbits, deer, quail etc. You combine that leeward side with being the north facing slope in warm dry condition and that is twice as good! Or a southern slope when it is exceptionally cold animals will sun themselves and if that is the leeward side it is even better.

Nothing is better then when you pick the stand and know the dog will appear in a certain spot and sure enough it goes like you plan it!

Last edited:
Whoop there it is, you two hit the nail on the head.

edit; I'll add more more thing. The jist of this thread was to inform the new hunters. Where coyotes prefer to be @ any given time. Which is, on the down-wind.

Now dependant upon your terrain features, ground cover & wind or a lack thereof. It is up to each hunter. How they can get into an area "un-detected" by a coyotes senses. Un-seen, un-heard & un-scented.

Myself in my terrain. Whether I'm stalking in on one that is bedded down. Or sneaking into a call stand area. I take into account, all of the above. Then formulate my plan.

Last edited:
excellent thread Kirby!! It could be used to figure where to set your traps, too! I fully understand you on what you mean on downwind hearing and upwind, great info!

You already know all of this stuff, Tac. Good luck on your career change.

That (howitzer) of mine is the best long range coyote rifle I ever owned. Cuts stout winds like butter & thumps them good way out there.

lol, ya but Kirby I never thought of the down wind edge of a hill as a location, I set on the hills, but then I guess a coyote can usually be pulled a ways! I saw one go 200yds straight to the ldc that was above the set.

Originally Posted By: Tactical .20lol, ya but Kirby I never thought of the down wind edge of a hill as a location, I set on the hills, but then I guess a coyote can usually be pulled a ways! I saw one go 200yds straight to the ldc that was above the set.

Although I've done a lot of observing throughout my hunting days. Season of 03-04, was the last year I done much killing. Even that season I gave many coyotes a free pass just to observe/learn from them un-touched. I suppose I started finding it more interesting to learn from them vs trying to kill them. Season 03-04, I seen 75 coyotes & 1-hybrid. I went in on 20 coyotes & killed 14. I did try to kill the hybrid, but missed.

The down-wind can be as slight. As the down-wind side of a bush or skiff of snow. But in general discussion. It is a hill/ridgeline or other substantial structure or ground cover.

Originally Posted By: kirbyHere is a sketch depicting two different hunters & where they walk into a stand area. Note hunter A is elevated facing into the wind. Hunter B is low facing into the wind. Both hunters are facing into the wind over a low flat cover area.

Hunter A puts their self at risk for being seen by a coyote in the low cover area. As that hunter is elevated above the low ground cover in plain view of a coyote in that ground cover.

However, hunter B is basically on the same level as the low ground cover. So a coyote in that cover. Would have to have an opening in the cover. Between that hunter & the coyote.
In order for the coyote to see the hunter. Or vice versa.

P1110763.jpg

So do you belive it is better to be down low?

I have always looked for an elevated stand where I feel I have a much better chance to see one coming.

Also wouldn't hunter "B" get closer to the coyote running a greater risk at spooking him?

I have really enjoyed this post and totally understand what you are saying except this diagram. Could you please explain more for me? Is this a spot and stalk where you know there is a coyote right there or is it a blind stand where you are thinking there maybe a coyote there? As I could see where that would make a huge diffrence as I wouldn't feel the need to elevate so as I could see such a wide field of view.

Originally Posted By: doodleOriginally Posted By: kirbyHere is a sketch depicting two different hunters & where they walk into a stand area. Note hunter A is elevated facing into the wind. Hunter B is low facing into the wind. Both hunters are facing into the wind over a low flat cover area.

Hunter A puts their self at risk for being seen by a coyote in the low cover area. As that hunter is elevated above the low ground cover in plain view of a coyote in that ground cover.

However, hunter B is basically on the same level as the low ground cover. So a coyote in that cover. Would have to have an opening in the cover. Between that hunter & the coyote.
In order for the coyote to see the hunter. Or vice versa.

P1110763.jpg

So do you belive it is better to be down low?

I have always looked for an elevated stand where I feel I have a much better chance to see one coming.

Also wouldn't hunter "B" get closer to the coyote running a greater risk at spooking him?

I have really enjoyed this post and totally understand what you are saying except this diagram. Could you please explain more for me? Is this a spot and stalk where you know there is a coyote right there or is it a blind stand where you are thinking there maybe a coyote there? As I could see where that would make a huge diffrence as I wouldn't feel the need to elevate so as I could see such a wide field of view.

No doodle, this sketch is not depicting a spot & stalk scenario. It is illustrating IF a hunter is facing into the wind & IS elevated above a low area. That has a coyote or coyotes in that low area. A coyote stands an excellent chance of seeing that hunter walking to his/her elevated stand area. Coyotes prefering the down-wind no matter where they are at any given time. Will spend a great amount of THEIR time scanning to THEIR down & cross-wind areas.

Can hunters call coyotes in this scenario? Sure they can & they do. What I'm getting at is more often than not they will be seen walking to their stand area. However, hunter B will not be busted as often as the elevated hunters A. As hunter B has ground cover between theirself & a coyote or coyotes that are in the cover. Hope that makes sense to you.

Last edited:
Back