we got snow!!!!!!!!!

vargy

the last 2 weekends were kinda bad weather for running. rained all day last sat and then went into the deep freeze. this last weekend i had to work sat then sunday had a hard blowing east wind about 30 mph. we jumped a few yotes but the hounds couldnt run the tracks. we got some nice snow now but the wind is suppose to pick up and probly end up in the road ditch. maybe this weekend will be better.

Vargy

I'm in the same boat as you. Hounds havent been out all year. Could have had great running during deer season but hate to see the dogs get shot by po'd neighbors. This weekend they get a workout. Might be a little cold but it's better than stuck in the kennel. As long as the wind doesn't blow. Ended up with about 6 inches of snow, not realy good running snow, kind of dry stuff. I finally get snow now I'm complaining. Go figure.

We have at least 15 inches on the ground, really SUC.........s, No hunting No dog running No shooting, you need snowshoes now, which is ok but the dogs dont have any. Snowmobiles let you check out the woods and fields but High winds and snow everyday had been covering any tracks.

to cold to work yesterday so i loaded hounds as soon as i got word we werent working. -3 out with a light wind. turned loose on some tracks and the hounds picked right up on them. they jumped 2 yotes. the sec one crossed the road so i put a few hounds on it.i had my hands full. 9 hounds on the ground and by my self. took me over 3 hours to get the hounds all caught. i think they split up into more races. the tracking wasnt very good. seen 4 diff yotes yesterday. but didnt catch any. -2 here right now so i will try again today.

Vargy

went out again today. the third place that i casted hounds my old bear hound jumped. i added a couple and seen the race go north with hunter 20 ft behind the yote. i was way back in the field and by the time i got out they had crossed the road. some guy was driving in the next field and the race blew up for a bit. the hounds got it figuared out and ended up going back where it was jumped. there is 2 tv towers in this section and really messes with my tracker.my bear hound is over 10 years old and he fail behind and ended up starting his own yote. i was checking on him and went back to where the hounds were. well with the tv towers there i lost all track of the hounds.i couldnt get a track. took me over 2 hours to get the 4 hounds rounded up. when i caught hunter i seen he was all bloody but looked alright. when i caught rhino he was all bloody and tore up pretty good.i would say they caught the yote and with those 2 hounds i would say the yote didnt fare very good. but it dont count cause it never made the tail gate. i had one hound left to catch. took me over a 1 1/2 hours to find her. i new she was at a house. i tryed calling her from the drive. she wouldnt come. so i went to the house. the people there had locked her up in the shed cause thier dog was barking at her. all my hounds has my name and house and cell phone on them. why wouldnt they call me if they locked her up. sure would of saved me alot of time and gas looking for her.

Vargy

I feel for ya , I dont know why people who find dogs dont call the name on the dog tag right away. I lost a hound for 3 days, when the people finally called they told me he has been at their house for 2-3 days now. I was happy to get him back so didnt challenge why they didnt call right away, I have found hounds once at 5 am a bluetick dog came to my house and I called the owner who lived 35 miles away , I called him right a way, ah go figure, at least we have to be happy we get the dogs back...........

CHAS06 yes you are 100% right. i am glad i got her back. i had one a couple years ago get inot a house subdivision anf they locked him up in the house. i drove in there for a hour trying to call him out. i new he was in that spot cause of my tracker. the tracker that i had then didnt pen point as good as the one i have now. so i took the coax off the tracker and started walking till i got the best beep and nocked on the door. they said that they had called my house and left a measage. so i called home and they said that noe had called. i wonder what they were planing on doing with him. one other time i casted 5 hounds in a 3 mile long section. i had a guy at the north end watching. i came up there and said that i was tracking the hounds right here. he said that they never came. i got out and tracked them across the road close range. so i walked in the field and it pointed them back at the road.im getting confussed by now. i walk back to the truck and before i crossed the fence i find 2 of the tracking collars in the ditch unbuckled. i call the law right away. i told him that im still missing a hound and im tracking it behind 2 ladys that live way off the road. we all put our heads together as to what we had seen.one guy had seen a jeep go by. will the 2 ladys that lived off the road owned a jeep. the sherif told me to walk out and see if i can find my last hound. i get out there and find the ;ast collar in a creek unbuckled.in the mean time a farmer calls me and tells me that the jeep just came from the south going north. the depity gets back and says that the ladys just came from mt vernon. i told the sherif about my phone call and said that they were going the wrond direction then.and that i found my last collar in the creek. so he went back and talked to them again.this time they confussed that they were out for a walk and seen my hounds and thought that they were skinny so they loaded them up and took off both sets of collars. they then took all 3 hounds to a diff city and county and turned them into a shelter. the sherif told the ladys that these were running hounds and that ther were not suppose to be fat. any how the sherif went with me to the shelter and i got my hounds back with no problems the sherif asked me if i wanted to press charges and i said no that i was happy to get my babys back. well the shelter ended up charging the 2 ladys for false statment and taking them to a diff county.i never did find the name collars and the ladys paid me $50 for the 3 collars. all ended well.

Vargy

vargy, i love your stories. i live in nj and not much hound hunting around here. i bird hunt in lenox ia taylor county. i have hunted there the past 7 years. is the area you hunt in the same as the lenox area? i have 2 gsp's and if i had a hound it would be a bluetick. i always have had a soft spot for them. when i lived in maine,plot hounds were the most used for bear hunting spring and fall. bob

Back