CZ 527 22 Hornet RELOADING????? Pics added! HeLp

burris

I would like to know what you hornet reloaders are shooting. I have reloaded 35gr V-Max, 40Gr. Sierra HP, and 40gr Sierra 40gr SP, all at at a COAL of 1.720. I would like to reload a billistic tip (Nosler or Hornday) to fit my CZ mag but the COL is 1.810 and is just a bit to long. I am using 13gr of little gun and a CCI small pistol primer.

???can I? Should I? seat the bullet deeper than the book so they fit in my mag? or should I just stick with the short bullets that I can load that fit the mag?

I would really like to be able to shoot the 40gr noslers and hornady's, but not one at a time. I would like to be able to load a full mag up.

Please give me some advice? Thanks

Last edited:
I've always read you can't get enough Lil Gun in a Hornet case to create pressure issues. But, I'd play it safe. If you seat your bullets to mag length starting with a charge well below max and slowly work towards max (.2gr increments) carefully watching for pressure signs, you'll be fine. Just remember, you may see signs of pressure prior to reaching max.

I'll check my records. I know I have a load for 50gr Sierra SP's that shoots very well and never showed any signs of pressure during testing. I'm sure this bullet is as long or longer than the 40gr's you're looking at.

Thats the trouble with magazine feeders. AR's deal with this all the time.

I would seat your bullets to run in your mag, and reduce your load 5%. Work it back up.

Also try some IMR-4227 some time. Just for fun.

35 V-MAX or 34gr Midway Dogtown Bullets is what I'm using. I believe I seat mine to 1.735", where I've also gotten good results with the 35's out to 1.765" (which is magazine max). I haven't done anything with the 40's just because I have no desire to feed bullets one at a time out in the field.

13.2 grains of Lil'gun is what mine likes, for both bullets. But I use Rem 6 1/2 primers.

It will shoot 1/2" at 100 with either bullet if I do my job.

Okay, I have loaded a few rounds up with the C.O.L. at 1.765 and this is what they look like:

ballistictipreloading003.jpg

ballistictipreloading004.jpg

ballistictipreloading003.jpg

Is this safe? They are seated below the curve of the bullet. I feel as if I could push the bullet into the case. They are seated to the max lenght to fit into my CZ mag.

Please give me some guidance if this will work or if this is dangerious. Last thing I want to do is to hurt my new rifle.

Thanks.

That is the way I have to load them for the clip in my Ruger. I haven't had any problems and they shoot very accurate. I'd have to go check and see what my COAL is, but it's very similar. I load the 40gr V-Max's with 12.7grs of Lil' Gun and a small pistol primer. It makes for an awesome round!

I'd like to get a Lee factory crimp die and maybe try giving them a slight crimp, to give them a finished look on the ends, but haven't got around to doing it. It would be just for appearance anyway.

The Hornet is fun to load for!
thumbup.gif

WOW, thanks Ricky Bobby! That makes me feel much better!! I have never loaded a round that was seated so far below the "book". I normaly have used 13.0grs of Little Gun and a small pistol primer, but will load it down with the new 40gr bullets of Nosler and Hornady and work back up to 13. the rounds just did not look right to me so I wanted to ask the "experts"! Once again, thank you, thank you all for the input.

Just ran into the same problem with a Ruger 22 hornet I purchased this week. Been loading the 40 grain V-max at 1.825 for the Browning but they wouldn't work in the Ruger magazine. I just simply took the press and seated them further down at 1.80 and they shoot just fine. I did take the Lee Factory Crimp die and put a very slight crimp on them.

Originally Posted By: burrisI would like to know what you hornet reloaders are shooting. I have reloaded 35gr V-Max, 40Gr. Sierra HP, and 40gr Sierra 40gr SP, all at at a COAL of 1.720. I would like to reload a billistic tip (Nosler or Hornday) to fit my CZ mag but the COL is 1.810 and is just a bit to long. I am using 13gr of little gun and a CCI small pistol primer.

???can I? Should I? seat the bullet deeper than the book so they fit in my mag? or should I just stick with the short bullets that I can load that fit the mag?

I would really like to be able to shoot the 40gr noslers and hornady's, but not one at a time. I would like to be able to load a full mag up.

Please give me some advice? Thanks

I had a CZ in 22 Hornet.

The mags have a plastic piece in the back that keep the cartridges limited in length. I removed that piece, and cut it thinner so bullets could be seated out further. Worked fine and I could seat the 40gr V-Maxs out full length.

Yea, those hornet magazines are designed for HP type or those little 30ish grain bullets. I would never crimp a Hornet. The recoil doesn't justify it and it will just work harden your brass. Mine is a TC so it doesn't have that problem. Looks like CatShooter has it all figured out.

Tom

Burris I ran into the same issue,that they just don't look right but they did work ok but when they were gone I switched bullets.

While I do agree that crimping the Hornet might effect the longevity of the brass to some degree, I have read where a lot of guys prefer a slight crimp on their Hornet ammo. Some claiming that it tightens up their groups. I'm satisfied with the accuracy of my load, but would like to try crimping strictly for the appearance of them. It would only require a very, very slight crimp.

I had the same issue with my CZ, I ended up going with the 35gr V-max, they were quit a bit stubbier, with not as pointed front profile. But they are a flat base. They ended up shooting really well, with H110 with magnum small rifle primer. But I will give the magazine trick a shot that CatShooter mentioned.

When I was shooting a CZ Hornet, I found that I could load them longer and still get 3 rounds into the mag. A compromise for sure, but it worked.

I ran into the same thing on my savage 340 hornet I went ahead and shot the 25 I had loaded with the 40 v-max's then switch to the 35 gr v-max's the 35's shot better out of the savage. here is a pic of the 35's loaded out to max lenght per the loading manual. second pic is a 45gr sierra soft point for the hornet.

IMG_0464Medium.jpg

IMG_0468Medium.jpg

Originally Posted By: CatShooter[/quote

I had a CZ in 22 Hornet.

The mags have a plastic piece in the back that keep the cartridges limited in length. I removed that piece, and cut it thinner so bullets could be seated out further. Worked fine and I could seat the 40gr V-Maxs out full length.

This makes the most sense to me.

I did this same thing in my Remington 600 that I re-barreled to .222 Mag. C.O.L, close to the lands was to long for the magazine. So I removed the steel spacer at the back of the magazine, modified it to be more thin, and wallah! Magazine feeds well with bullets set out where I need them.

Back