suppressors in Iowa

rogge

My understanding is that these can not be had in Iowa, is that correct? Does anyone know if there is anything in the works to change this? It sure would be nice to be able to use them while hunting and not come home with ringing ears.

I had the county sheriff show me the regulations book. The way we read it, you would be committing a felony by simply possessing a silencer/suppressor, even if it was nowhere near a firearm.

I think I read that they were trying to get it passed in this year. I don't remember what bill it was but I don't think it made it. I agree with you. But too many movie watchers don't want to have them. Check out House file 2198.

Last edited:
Didnt make it through this year, maybe next. Its considered an offensive weapon under IOwa laws, same for SBR's, SBS's etc. Not sure what you're hunting with but you will no doubt still need hearing protection even with a supressor, short of rimfires and handgun calibers its still quite loud.

Last edited:
yeah, i did some reshearch a little while back. all that fun stuff is a big no-go in our great state.

they are trying to get some of that passed but i have a feeling it will take some time. the Iowa Firearms Coalition at iowacary.org is a good site to get onto for info like this. get involved and see if we can make it happin!

by the way...when the house brought up doing away with the carry permits and have our state be like Alaska where EVERYONE can carry WITHOUT a permit or anything like that and adding the words "the right to bare arms shall not be infringed upon" to the state consitution. the replicians (majority in the house) voted in favor, while ALL the democrats WALKED OFF THE FLOOR and whent out of the chambers then out of the capitol building and did not come back for 6 hours!! it passed the house and is off to the next level to be voted on. im betting that it will be voted down as the Iowa senate is full up on Democrats (they hold the majority by 2 seats i think). i would call, email, send letters whatever you can do to your elected officals in your area from your state rep to congresmen and governer stateing that you would like their support on thease bills.

i send out 5 emails a week one each to those boys in Desmoines!!

-BRIZ

e-mails, as small as they are, are what made the differance to old Governer Chet when the shall issue bill was laying on his desk. i read somewhere that in one day he got 18,000 emails from citizens in favor of this bill! and when the dove hunting bill was on the desk he got more than that in one day in favor of it!
it seems that for every one person willing to give 5 mins to send out an eamil there are 5 more that dont and law makers know this.

rembemer, THEY work for US! we are their boss, tell them what you want and hold them accountible for their actions.
also rembember that you can drawl more flys with suger than viniger, so be nice about it.

my letters always go like this.
Mr. ________
i would like to take a minute and ask you to vote in favor of bill# _________ concerning __________________. thank you for your time, name, address, phone number

nothing fancy or long, just make sure that you put something like "in favor of bill #####" in the topic of the email as they sort them by content and id bet they rarely open all of them but you can get your point across with the topic too!

-BRIZ

Originally Posted By: warpig602 ...but you will no doubt still need hearing protection even with a supressor, short of rimfires and handgun calibers its still quite loud.

I guess ALL of the suppressor manufacturers in the country must be liars. The FACT is that you may want extra protection, but you won't need it.
I'm looking forward to getting to hunt with em down here ASAP.

In SE Texas, the trees are so thick, they sound louder than they are cause the crack is bouncing back. In that flat corn country, you'll rarely have that issue.

Originally Posted By: warpig602Not sure what you're hunting with but you will no doubt still need hearing protection even with a supressor, short of rimfires and handgun calibers its still quite loud.

that is definitely not true... I literally do NOT hunt or shoot without a suppressor, even on the Barrett .416 you do NOT need hearing protection when using a can... some are louder than others and may require it, but the ones we use, the muffs, the plugs are gone... no need!!! BTW, hope Iowa gets this passed eventually, keep it up fellas, because it wouldn't see the light of day without guys like you pushing it!!!

I been emailing like crazy over the latest IA bills. It all helps. I think we should file a class action suite that holds the state responsible for loss of hearing since we are NOT allowed suppressors...it's ridiculous. They know this election year is important. Lets turn up the heat!!

bowfisher you a right use the law. let me explain what happend in the uk as you know we have the most restrictive licencing laws on firearms in the world.when suppresors came onto the market the police who give out the licencies refused to allow the use or ownership of suppresors for no reason outher than we dont like them suppresors are the tools of bank robbers and criminals.well it was put to the police that criminals dont get gun licences. 1st argument shoot down in flames.so the shooters then turned the argument around if i go deaf because you will not allow me to use a suppresor i will sue you. well that was the end of the argument no one wants to be sued by thousands of shooters.now suppresors are more or less used by most shooters across the uk.

yeah guys election year..time for a change..they know it...they want to keep their jobs, all that means is that they are more likely to pass something that they would normaly look over just so they can get some of the shooter votes, and with Iowa being a big outdoorsmans state, im guessing they know what percentage of the votes that we carry and with strong issues on the table such as thease they know that voter turn out could be bigger than past years.

Back