Mossberg MVP .223/ .556

Scalloper

I am thinking about buying a bolt in 223/.556. I like the idea that the MVP takes a AR-15 Mag as I have a AR. Any of you have any experence with these guns?

There is a two part review from an ARFcom member on youtube. If they release it in .204 .243 or .260, I will be picking one up.

there is already a post on here about it, I belive it was a week or so ago, but If i remeber correct the OP ended up returning the gun..... not lookin good so far....

I bought one three weeks ago and took it back. The front reciever screw was holding by one thread. The Magazine well is so sharp you can cut yourself. I called Mossberg I still have not sent new screws. I do not have the rifle anyway.

Buy a CZ!!!! or a Remington.

The bolt is fairly smooth, until you put the mag in the gun...then they don't want to cycle very well. I want to like it, but even if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still just a pig (unless you're from Georgia
laugh.gif
....)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: quackaddictThe bolt is fairly smooth, until you put the mag in the gun...then they don't want to cycle very well. I want to like it, but even if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still just a pig (unless you're from Georgia
laugh.gif
....)

lol.gif
lol.gif

Personally, the only Mossbergs I would buy are the International lines, because they aren't made by Mossberg. I had a few a long time ago, and had nothing but problems with them. I hate 'em. Others love theirs, but I wouldn't have another one.

Thought I'd get the topic back to the top since some time has gone by. I'm hoping maybe they'll get better. Still interested in one if I would hear something good about them.

Originally Posted By: ErrickThought I'd get the topic back to the top since some time has gone by. I'm hoping maybe they'll get better. Still interested in one if I would hear something good about them.

Take $600 and go buy one. I did they look nice, I took it back whem Mossberg would not send me the right screws. Mossberg service is very bad, they have never sent me new screws. In fact the gunshop I bought mine from set all they in stock back to Mossberg. They contacted all the people they sold MVP to return them. I am waiting for the recall from Mossberg. It is a good idea for a rifle but poorly put together.

I purchased a Mossberg mvp predator with an 18.5 inch barrel and love it. All aspects of the rifle are how they should be.

Just remember everyone, take a nice gander at anything you buy before you take it out the door. Buy from a reputable dealer and go through the gun with them before you purchase it.

I am consistently shooting .6 and .7 inch groups with this rifle at 125 yds. The trigger is nice and crisp, and it feeds well out of metal magazines. I have a couple of 5's for hunting and a couple of 10's and a 20 rounder. I honestly think a 30 round mag would just look stupid, but hey it is a great concept.

It likes the lighter bullets, I have had my best luck with 55 grn hornady a max. It also shoots factory cheap stuff accurately enough to hunt with out to about 200 yds or so.

I put a little 3x9 scope on it and it is a tack driver for sure. I have owned several higher end bolt guns, but for the money this little rifle is awesome in my book. I would give it 4.5 stars out of 5.

The only issue with this rifle is that the bolt is a little rough and that should change with a little more use. I have shot maybe 250 rounds through the rifle and I would say that should be sufficient for a decent opinion on the rifle.

The only thing I would change is I would opt for at least a 10 power scope. It is an awesome rifle in my opinion.

My experience with Mossberg CS has been very bad. I've bought a Bantam, a 930 and a SA-20. The Bantam and 930 were great but had problems with the SA-20. I was able to get my money back from Mossberg by calling headquarters ten times a day. The reason I won't buy any more firearms from them isn't because I had a problem with one firearm, I have had to send firearms in to CZ, Winchester and Weatherby for issues. The reason I will not use them again is b/c of their horrible CS.

I own the same rifle and very happy with it. I put a Nikon M 223 4x12 scope and it is a tack driver. Took it shooting prairie dogs last weekend. Ranged several prairie dogs out to 310 yards. Called 3 head shots, with a witness. Got my first coyote of the season, head shot 150 yards. My gun likes 50 grains Nosler BT.

I picked up a 20" predator model back in march. I love the rifle it shoots great although the bolt is a little clunky at first. It has shot literally everything I have put in it great, even steel cased Tula. I shot a 500 yard KD Appleseed with it when I first got it and only had 1 shot out of the black. I fumbled a magazine change and never got the round off in the time limit, my fault not the rifles. I put a Nikon P223 on it and run a RS1 Riflecraft sling, it comes in right at 7 lbs. I have no regrets.

The MVP is a great little rifle. I love mine and haven't experienced any of the problems mentioned here. I will be buying one in .308 as soon as my distributor gets some in. I admit that I don't get flustered about things like screws, etc because I am a gunsmith and I usually just make those small repairs on my own. I have discovered many such flaws on just about every brand out there. If you don't want to break a rifle in, then there are ways to accelerate the break in results like lapping the bore and the bolt raceways.

IMHO, Remington no longer builds a rifle which is superior to the MVP or a Savage. A little bit of knowledge goes a long way, but lacking experience, is is just obnoxious. Especially when you trash a rifle based on your preference for another.

Buy an MVP with confidence from a good gun dealer. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Back