One of the best coyote hunting scopes

1coyoteslayer

I never see anybody else running one of these scopes on there coyote hunting rifle. I have Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5 to 16 by 50 30mm tube. I have had it for 2 years now and believe it is an awesome predator scope. At 2.5 there is a huge field of view and 16 is great for those long shots or practice at longer ranges.
Does anybody else have one on here? They are a little $$$ but worth it.

My only question is how much variance is there in the point of impact between the powers? Most scopes have a specific power setting for the long range shots. What is it on on the 6500?

if your POI changes from one power setting to the next, you've got a pretty poor example of "the best" scope. I'd go as far as to say you've got a defective scope.

If the zoom range is the only reason for this being one of the best...I'd pass.

I have used two of that particular scope and no the POI does not move and they are excellent scopes. Glass is on par with the Zeiss Conquest and they are a good value. They have the RainGuard as well.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21My only question is how much variance is there in the point of impact between the powers? Most scopes have a specific power setting for the long range shots. What is it on on the 6500?

I think your thinking of ranging reticles, like a mil dot. There is a specific power that the reticle is set to when used for ranging, generally 10x or the max power of the scope. As you move through the powers the dot size is only correct at one power, unless the scope is a FFP.
I agree if your poi is changing as you move through the powers... youve got big problems.

Yes, the 2.5-16x ranges on 10X

My .17Predator is a friggin' laser beam and only a measly 1.5 mils UP @ 550yds from a 250yd zero I run.

10 shots, using that 1.5mil holdover w/ standard mildot @ 10x power, 550yds.
julypics064.jpg

I only put the bipod on to goof around & shoot at distance...
julypics066.jpg

Just showing how useable & versatile that 6500 mildot model is. Not only as a coyote scope, for any type of shooting! Definitely a favorite of mine...

I would think that 4" of eye relief would be a pretty nice selling point as well.

Knockemdown, that is a nice looking rig!

Sounds good so far, is it a PIA to change power settings??

Hopefully its better than my Burris FF II where the whole eye piece turns instead of just a ring that turns when you change power settings.

Congrats on the good find.

Lee

Originally Posted By: 1coyoteslayerWhat are the ballistics of that .17 and how does it compare to the .204? Nice shooting!

Thanks, all. Bullet is a 30gr Gold, b.c. of .27 @ 4080 fps. I had a .204 and have a .20TAC and neither one can hang with that littel devil, ballistically. Only cartridge that can is a faster .17 wildcat & choices are few...
laugh.gif

My point was that the Elite 6500 does that rifle justice
smile.gif
From close in calling, to sniping the occasional woodchuck, crow, or whatever...I'm very pleased with that riflescope!

Originally Posted By: BearWhat case is the 17 predator based on?

It is the .223 case blown out with a shorter neck IIRC.

I used one this winter, only the one I have is the Tactical version with the target knobs. I do have the 2.5 X 16 X 42 with a mil dot reticle. I am having problems holding zero and resighting. Has anyone else experienced this problem. Is the mil-dot the way to go for running coyotes? I can shoot about any scope but I have always liked the Bushnell Elites.

That set-up has been used for a couple of decades now, with different scope manufacturers.

Everyone is getting on the Band-Wagon, and us shooters are reaping the benefits.

Just for chit's-and-Giggles, check out Luppy's M8....or even the M6.

I've owned M1's and M3's for over a decade now. Mill-Dot's are great, but for a true ranging reticle, I really like the Luppy TMR reticle.

Back