Sardines

Rusty Crawford

The last few days I've had critters getting in the burn barrel so I put out a live trap and bait it with sardines and every time I bait it I think to myself how in the heck anyone eat sardines? They look nasty they smell nasty...How Do you do it???

You just gotta be hongry Rusty!
lol.gif

Actually, the last few times I opened a can I about puked, and I ate them all the time when I was a kid.

Sardines are great....When I get done eating em, I take a bit of sardine juice and rub it on my long mustache.
Then throughout the day when I get lonely I chew on the tips of my mustache and I feel like I'm back home with the wife........lol

What's wrong with you folks?
Saltine - sardine - hot sauce. Bite. Hot sauce. Bite. Hot sauce. Bite......Saltine - sardine - hot sauce. Bite. Hot sauce. Bite. Hot sauce. Bite...
You get the picture.

If you look at the label they are all coming from Thailand, Vietnam or Cambodia. I quit when they quit making them in Norway. They still make good coon bait, possums too.

Last edited:
Working on the big pipeline project you learn to carry with
you "pocket food " ie; food that can be stuffed in jacket pockets which includes but not limted to Smoked oysters. After being out for 15 to 20 hours Smoked oysters are like eating lobster- trust me on this one.

Originally Posted By: Noveske CrusaderSardines are great....When I get done eating em, I take a bit of sardine juice and rub it on my long mustache.
Then throughout the day when I get lonely I chew on the tips of my mustache and I feel like I'm back home with the wife........lol

Yikes
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: jumprightinitIf you look at the label they are all coming from Thailand, Vietnam or Cambodia. I quit when they quit making them in Norway. They still make good coon bait, possums too.

Now you got it. I'll eat them from other places. i haven't seen any from Canada for years, USed to get them from Nova Scotia when I was a kid.

I like mackeral fillets from Italy. No skin or guts allowed
thumbup.gif

I just checked and Brunswick sardines are still processed in Canada. AND

BRUNSWICK’s Blacks Harbour plant is recognized as the largest sardine processing facility in the world.

Last edited:
Yep,Sardines will keep you from being hungry and help with the homesick.Ha And protein which helps the cold.Besides,when eating such delicacies you don't read the can till after,if ever. And in Bear country,if one is tracking you,when he comes to the can he will spend a long time digging it up and licking it which puts you further down the trail.No telling how many lives have been saved.

Well here is a ricipe for homeade sardines.
Go to bait shop, buy a dozen large minnows
Remove minnows from plastic bag and place in minnow bucket
Place minnow bucket in back of truck for three days
Drain water from bucket, add mustard and hot sauce.

Redfrog is right. Look at the label. Canned herring is great too. They make a nice snack while hiking, etc. Many years ago I fished on a purse seiner with a crusty old Norwegian for a skipper. He had a barrel on the boat filled with brine. Every time we caught a steelhead he would throw in the barrel (gutted) after a few weeks he would eat it. Don't knock until you have tried it. Skipper was a real character, when excited or mad, he would swear or yell in Norwegian. Never could understand what he was saying. One time, I made a decision not to close up the seine when he signaled me to (I was skiffman). I had seen a large school of salmon near my end of the seine so I disobeyed his order. After a half hour or so, I signaled him to close up. He was fuming when I got back to the boat but when we pulled up the seine I instantly became his hero. That set paid all expenses for the entire year. From then on I was affectionately called "the kid" and had all the beer I wanted..free. I was 17 at the time...life was GOOD!

I love the Kippered Herring filet snacks from Beachcliff in soy oil or the dollar store ones in hot sauce. No guts or bones in them. I can't stand a string of guts or a gritty backbone when chomping down on sardines. It's more of a texture thing than taste
blink.gif

On the bright side of things, you can throw a can behind the truck seat and ride 'em around for a year or two, and they won't taste or smell any worse than they do today!

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYI love the Kippered Herring filet snacks from Beachcliff in soy oil or the dollar store ones in hot sauce. No guts or bones in them. I can't stand a string of guts or a gritty backbone when chomping down on sardines. It's more of a texture thing than taste
blink.gif

thats what the saltines are for

great cover scent for bobcats!! they love them. we put a can on bumper and rubed some on top of rig and cats came right to the call!! got bunches with them!

Back