Who likes a Fine Crosshair w/ Dot?

HogSniper

Looking at buying a Nikon Monarch 6-24x50, but trying to decide which cross hair I want. This will be put on a heavy 22-250 groundhog rifle. Wondering what you fellows think of the fine crosshair with dot reticle? Does it work well for small targets at long range, or should I stick with a duplex?

Currently rifle has an older Leupold varixII 6x18 AO matte finish with fine duplex. I want to try a side focus scope with a little more maginification.

Thx,
HS

Between the two you listed I'd pick the duplex over the one with the dot. For that kind of shooting you're better off with a fine crosshair with NO dot. Adding a dot does way more harm than good, in my opinion.

I shoot alot of sightron target dots. Very fine cross hairs with a small dot in the center. I absolutely love the dot as long as ITS LIGHT. I can see crystal clear through the scope in low light but i loose my dot. Other than that they are amazing.

I have a Vortex Viper 6.5x20 with a dot and fine cross hair and agree with VM in day light they are great.

Weaver super slam with that reticle works really good for prairie dogs, but like has been said, that is bright light shooting. I have used it a little bit calling at dusk and got by okay, but there are better reticles for that type of stuff. For varminting in decent light I really like the fine crosshair dot.

I just got a Nikko Diamond scope that has heavy hairs... going down to finer hairs... and then to a dot... and the dot will illuminate red or green...with mulitple settings... I had been wanting something like this to compare with my coyote special scope... for quick acqusition shots... I believe it is going to be a winner...

WOW.... that pic came in BIG....LOL

NIKKO-STIRLING-Diamond-3-9x42-Rifle-Scope-Illuminated-No4-Dot-Reticle-NDSI3942-Pic1.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dan brothersI just got a Nikko Diamond scope that has heavy hairs... going down to finer hairs... and then to a dot... and the dot will illuminate red or green...with mulitple settings... I had been wanting something like this to compare with my coyote special scope... for quick acqusition shots... I believe it is going to be a winner...

WOW.... that pic came in BIG....LOL

NIKKO-STIRLING-Diamond-3-9x42-Rifle-Scope-Illuminated-No4-Dot-Reticle-NDSI3942-Pic1.jpg

WOW.... I'd say it did!!! LOL I had to stand back 10 feet from my computer just to look at it!!

Dave

I have used both fine crosshairs with and without the dot. I prefer the 1/8 dot. It is just enough to pinpoint theshot but not cover the target. JMO

IMHO, for hunting and shooting kritters, the dot scope is the way to go. But for target shooting, its the fine crosshairs as the dot is really irritating when shooting paper. I have scopes with both and I don't hunt anymore so you can guess how happy I am when I shoot circle targets, etc.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSNIKON makes a buckmasters 6-18 fine crosshairs with the Target dot.

Funny you mentioned that. Just took my Nikon Buckmaster 4.5 X 14 off my Target .223 although I did it for a scope with more magnification.

I have a vortex 6-20 with the target dot and I love the reticle, but about a month ago I had a early morning shot at a coyote and I had to turn the power back to 6 to get a good shot. Great reticle other than in low light situations.

I love my old Weaver V-9 with the fine crosshair and one minute dot. It is perfect for calling coyotes and for running shots as my eye seems to just be attracted to the dot. The one minute dot is too big for long range target shooting, but good for a scope on a coyote gun. It can cause problems in low light, but I have never had it cost me a critter. It is my favorite reticle and I am looking at a long range scope with a 1/4 minute dot.

I have 3 Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 with the target dot. They are great unless your trying to shoot beyond 500yds at a 1" target. The dot covers a 1" target at 500yd. I also use mine at night under a 50% moon or more, up to 12 power, works pretty well.

I have been shooting a BSA platnum target scope with the fine CH & 1/8" dot for 26 years now. Great for popping p-dogs to 800yds with no problems for me.
It may cover them a bit that far out, but using it as a mil dot also for winds I have yet to not hit one to that range as most of the time I am holding into the brezze anyway.
I got rid of all the duplex scopes I had.

I love the dot reticles now, though many years ago I liked the fine crosshairs. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

I sent two Leupolds to TK Lee Co and had 1/2" dot put in both (fixed 12x scopes). These dots are small.

Also, I have two of the Nikon Buckmasters with dot reticles mentioned above, the 6x18 with side focus. These are great scopes but not sure if they are still being made. I haven't seen them listed anywhere recently.

One final scope I have used quite a bit for predator hunting is a Mueller 3x10x44 Sport Dot. The reticle is a German plex with an illuminated dot. My son has the same scope in a 3x9. I put it to good use on coyotes in New Mexico this past October while hunting with Tony Tebbe. The dot makes target acquisition much quicker.

If your eyes are good and you will be shooting extended ranges, then a fine crosshair is nice. But, if you are shooting basically 400 yards and under, a dot is hard to beat in my opinion.

5spd, that 1/8" dot is very small, and great no doubt.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSNIKON makes a buckmasters 6-18 fine crosshairs with the Target dot.

I have this scope.. for larger targets like a Coyote it works great for Me. The dot draws your eyes to the target. However on long shots on 6" ground squirrels it kinda covers the intended target. JMO

Back