ContourGPS HD Camera,

Let's try that again!

Has anyone used the ContourGPS HD video camera with the rifle mount?

http://contour.com/products/contour-gps

They make a mount for the rifle. I was thinking it would be great to film some hunts. Wanted to get some opinions on it before I forked over the money.

If its mounted to the barrel, I may not get too many of my hunting buddies to stand in front of the camera for an interview. Oh well, they're ugly anyway.

I’m very interested in the Contour HD for use (mostly) from the small cockpit of my Mustang ll sport aircraft. From the video examples I have seen, the downside when shooting through the propelllor is that the blades are usually visible in asimtar shape and this becomes very distracting. I note a filter kit is available. From another flyer’s experiments using Go-Pro (sorry) he used ND filters of 1.4 (strength?) and pretty much elimnated the prop view. So my question. Before laying out the cash, which I can’t do as an experiment only, would a ‘system’ with filter be available to rent for a couple of days? Without the assurance of getting rid of most of this prop motion, the camera would be useless to me.

These type of cameras have their place but really its a matter of working out what your looking for in a camera.
I have a Gopro camera and am currently working through their abilities at the moment.
I wanted an additional camera to add a POV aspect to what footage I catch on my cam corder.

I've been setting up my Gopro place on top of my FoxPro mounted up on a tripod for elevation which I have had limited sucess with so far but so great opportunities missed due not picking the right angle of approach.

It's dificult to predict the direction to set it and these cameras have good width to catch footage but badly lack the ability to give a good picture of game at distance.

I think these types of cameras are very limited as a gun cam given their lack of ability to show up game at much past 15 yards.
An animal at any disance past 15 yards is small in the picture frame and difficult to make value out of.

In an attempt to better value out of the Gopro I have decided to seperate the caller and camera with the idea of opening up the angle hoping that distance won't spoil it placing the Gopreo a little behind the call.

THIS CLIP WILL GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF HOW CLOSE GAME NEEDS TO GET TO BECOME THE MAIN CHARACTER
click on the page to play

That was nice footage but I see what you mean about having to be right on the animal for it to work. I hadn't though about what the video would look like if the coyote was 150 yards away.

Back