Turkey Season

livingthedream

Anybody out there got any big plans for Turkey Season. With it starting to warm up a little I am starting to get excited. Where is everyone hunting this year?

Going to take my boys out this year! First time turkey hunters, I finally have the time. Boys are 11 an 15, should be a great time.

I want to go but I dont have decoys
frown.gif

I'm hoping to get one on film this year. Did it solo last year and it didn't turn out to be very good footage. I hope to get my buddy a called bird and get some good closeups of the hunt. Going to be on National Forest mostly with a little private land I hope. EPH, don't sweat the decoys, turkeys have been killed for a long time with a simple box call and a shotgun.

Birds have been gobbling and strutting for a few weeks already up here in Northeast PA. Way too early for this we missed winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: EasternPredHunterI want to go but I dont have decoys
frown.gif

I've called in dozens of birds to the gun or bow. A handful were taken using decoys. They're a tool, not a crutch and in certain situations do more harm than good. Don't let that keep you out of the woods. Patience and woodsmanship will take far more gobblers than gizmos ever will...

Originally Posted By: redeyeddawgOriginally Posted By: EasternPredHunterI want to go but I dont have decoys
frown.gif

I've called in dozens of birds to the gun or bow. A handful were taken using decoys. They're a tool, not a crutch and in certain situations do more harm than good. Don't let that keep you out of the woods. Patience and woodsmanship will take far more gobblers than gizmos ever will...

Great reply...
smile.gif

I have probably killed more with my decoy laying on the ground beside me than with it set up!! LOL Going to try my new Bowtech this spring so I will use a decoy and ground blind!

Opens May first here in NY.With the mild winter it's going to be a tough season.They're a lot harder to call in when that happens.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Opens May first here in NY.With the mild winter it's going to be a tough season.They're a lot harder to call in when that happens.
+1
Same here in PA. I've heard birds gobbling the last week like crazy. Wish they opened the season the beginning of April.

My son drew a tag in an area 15 minutes from our house. He just turned 10, and this will be his first hunt. I don't know which one of us is more excited. Season starts Apr 15 and runs until May 25. Hopefully, we can get onto one early, so we can both get an OTC tag further south, and maybe let me get some bear hunting in this spring too.

Last edited:
Im really pumped to get my 9th bird!!! But this one is with a twist....Bow, Double Bull blind, and Dave Smith decoys. Hoping to get the first one with a bow!!!!

I have killed most of mind without a decoy, but I have had some come right to the decoys.

Dave Smith Decoys are sweet, I wish I had some! If you are going to get Turkey decoys those are the ones to get.

Birds are on fire in SC..

My buddies and I have killed 11 since the 15th(including 4 doubles, only using 6 shells) and it is only getting better..

Got my first double bearded bird..
photo-6.jpg

photo-7.jpg

photo-12.jpg

photo-13.jpg

The biggest being taken by my little cousin.
11" beard
Matching 1 5/8 spurs
20lbs!

Like I said, its hot, only getting hotter!!!

got youth day here in NC first sat in april i know 2 young guns that are fired up n ready to go then ill kick opening day off the 2nd sat with the wife then im gonna try n pick up the scrapes of what evers left lol

Killed another with beard rot this morning..
photo-14.jpg

We can kill 5 gobblers/Toms from March 15th to May 1st, with no more than 2 a day..

I could have already tagged out, but its fun taking new guys..

Originally Posted By: shanedogg+2 ...same in az....havent been up north yet, but if there struttin and goblin' back east, our rut might be over....
In the same boat here in Ohio. For the last week I have seen bird strutting all over the place. Our season still several weeks away. Even my pet turkey (last years 4H project) is going crazy.

11.jpg

Back