Bear cub in distress

hunter777

Is there a call to imitate a bear cub in distress? If so will it call anything but a sow?
Could it be an option if I should bump a bear in the woods and have them run off? I was thinking that if I scared off some bears I could ease over in the direction they went and sit down and wait about 20 minutes, then try to imitate a lost cub.
I was in the woods today and bumped 4 bears and they spit up. I circled around and put out the bait anyway. While I was at the bait (about 15 minutes after I scatered the bears) I could hear one of the cubs calling. It sounded like a baby deer or lamb. I know it was the cub cause I saw the sow again in the same general area 20 minutes after I heard it. Could I use that same call sitting at a bait site? Maybe later in the week if I only have a day or 2 left to hunt I'll pull out all the stops and try anything. Any sugestions?

If you use the search feature of the forum and type in Bear cub distress call in the hand call section and you will find a long thread on using a cub distress call. The date the thread was started was 6-14-03. You can use a regular predator call if you don't spook the bear too badly. Is it legal to shoot a sow with cubs? Small cubs will not survive without their mother.

It is legal. All the hunters that got a tag had to attend a mandatory bear hunting seminar. During the seminar the state bear biologist told us that all bears are legal. He also told us that the cubs born last winter would be in the 125to 150lb class range (excelent nutrition in the area)during the December season. I saw these cubs up close (10 yds) they are big (but still cubs) if I was to guess there wieght I'd say they were around 100lbs. They told us also that it is documented that the cubs can and will survive with out the mother. While I would take any larger bear if the chance arises I am hopeing to draw in a boar to one of my sites. I have a couple that are active now (with bears on them) 1 that I gave up on, and will be starting another on Monday in a place where a large boar is being spoted every couple of days.

Pomoxis,

Bear cubs in Minnesota will weigh in about sixty pounds or even less by fall on their first year. These cubs will survive if you kill their mother. All they have to know how to do at this stage of the game is to curl up and go to sleep.

It's spring season when cubs are the size of a coon where they won't live without their mother.

Randy

Originally Posted By: pomoxisIs it legal to shoot a sow with cubs? Small cubs will not survive without their mother. thats not true

Originally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsModern Call Products - Cub Bear Brawler #128, Knight & Hale Bear Cub Distress #928 to name a couple.

Good hunting,

AP

Can you post a link to that? I keep searching and can't seem to pull it up.

Originally Posted By: ArhoadesOriginally Posted By: AllPredatorCallsModern Call Products - Cub Bear Brawler #128, Knight & Hale Bear Cub Distress #928 to name a couple.

Good hunting,

AP

Can you post a link to that? I keep searching and can't seem to pull it up.

Looks like I quoted the wrong one.

Originally Posted By: pomoxisIf you use the search feature of the forum and type in Bear cub distress call in the hand call section and you will find a long thread on using a cub distress call. The date the thread was started was 6-14-03. You can use a regular predator call if you don't spook the bear too badly. Is it legal to shoot a sow with cubs? Small cubs will not survive without their mother.

Can you post a link to that? I keep searching but can't seem to pull it up.

Back