Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Topic Options
#217328 - 10/26/03 12:24 PM 44mag for Black Bear
yotehunter6 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Reno NV
I go black bear hunting next saturday, I was going to use a handgun but it has been giving me trouble and im not going to use it for bear if I dont trust it. My other 2 choices are a Marlin 30-30 or a Marlin 44mag. I was leaning twords the 30-30 but after sighting them in, my 44mag is running about a 3inch group at 50 yards with open sights plus it holds 10 rounds. I am planning on using the new Platnum+ 250 grain.
My shot will probably be less than 50 yards so I am very confident with this rifle. The 30-30 shot about a 6in group and I really dont have the time to try different ammo.
So what do you think? will I do ok with the 44mag.
Last year we chased a 400+ bear in the same area and I hope to get on that bear or one in the same size range.

#217329 - 10/26/03 07:03 PM Re: 44mag for Black Bear
beartaker Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: milton freetater or
i have shot bear with 22 lr to 300 win mag to 44 mag pistol do what feels good to you i shot most of mine out of a tree now people sit in trees to shoot them lol all you have to do is hit the right part always wanted to take one with a stick till it took it away from me he was in one tree and i was in another by the way a week ago a freind of mine was call in elk and a bull ran him over nastey bruises so what you do please be carelul best of huntin

#217330 - 10/28/03 02:19 PM Re: 44mag for Black Bear
Ma Bell Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Colorado, in the sticks
The .44 Mag. will do a fine job, just keep your shots at a reasonable range and use a heavy bullet that will hold together. (Think of a handgun as a long range drill press)

Just the way I do it,,,,, :rolleyes:

#217331 - 11/28/03 06:55 PM Re: 44mag for Black Bear
hunter777 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: New Jersey

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.