Electronic Bear Calling

Alaskan/Glen

Howdy Bear Callers!

Has anyone had luck using electronic calls for calling in bears.

I would like to use an electronic remote enabled call for calling bears in the spring when moose, caribou or deer are dropping fawns/calves etc.

I'd sure like to hear your experiences, how it worked, how to do it what you think of doing it etc.

Thanks!

Glen

Haven't used my electronic caller for them yet, but I really ticked a grizz off one day with a Sceery AP5. The only thing that was saving me was small body of water. :eek:

Todd

My suggestion is to get a caller that will loop sounds or are able to play for an hour. The little box I have only puts out a short sequence before you have to hit the buttons to play it again. After 10 minuts of this I just pull out my hand calls. I still have the option of using the electronic caller if I see them coming in and want to keep the bear from pin point my location. Most of the time the bear is moving full tilt to me so I never had the time to coax them end. Hit the home page and build your own. It is a lot more fun.

Hi Todd;

I have an Sceery call just can't tell the model. I have tried blind calling withi t for bears... no luck so far. I am very interested in trying to use it for spring bear, imitating fawn in distress... Anyone know how a calf moose, or caribou sounds??

Pomoxis: Thank you for your your response. I am looking for other options to hunting bear, both black and brown/grizzly. In the hunting realm that is what I do the most of any more. I just purchased the foxpro e-caller (another tax deduction), so the constant calling technique will be solved. And I probably won't call without someone with me.

I would really like to read more from you on techniques, calling stories etc. and from others who have done calling. In the future a remote caller seems to be the most sensible for me.

I am learning to use the one I have here in Alaska, so far the magpies and ravens really like it. Practice makes perfect. And lots of practice is what I need to do!

Thank you again guys for the responses.

Great to meet you last Sunday Todd!

Glen

I have had some luck with a bear cub distress
tape before. I only called in one with it but it
was very exciting and a bit scary I must admit.
I've called in several bears with a turkey call
during the spring. Both of those times I had
multiple turkeys gobbling only to have them shut
right up. I wondered why until each time I saw
a bear coming in my direction.

The best thing about building a custom CD is that you can bring in some addtional sounds to set the table. An example is adding some thrashing sounds to start a sequence with the animal yelling in pain afterward. Adding Magpie or crow vocals will bring in those bird and will add both sight and sound to your set up.

By adding a decoy (old hide)it will keep the focus away from you. Adding scent to the decoy will bring them in. In Oregon you can not use a scent to attract bears unless it is applied to your body. I just met my sisters boy friend and offered to take him bear hunting. Of course I was going to apply my "Bear juice" of Anise/maple suyrup flavoring to him. I told him that is how we hunt bear in Oregon. Being from Washington DC he was not sure what to make of my offer.

Back