Bad luck w/green kill light on coyote!

littlebass

Well I've been trying to figure out whether the green lights will work for coyotes/fox/bobcats etc... Got my answer Saturday. Buddy and I hunted a contest and on our first stand after dark we called up a coyote. I hit him with my XLR250(green) and as soon as the light hit him he turned and hit the brush. Came back out immediately and I hit him again w/the green light with same result. As soon as I lit him up he turned and ran. No time for a shot. My buddy was using the XLR100 (red) as a scan light and it was working great. I immediately took the green 250 off the gun and we used the XLR100's (red) on our guns and also as handheld scan lights and they worked great. About 5 mins later another yote came in, the red 100 worked perfectly. Could have been the same yote, dunno, but the red light did it's job. Guess I'm gonna have to order a red bulb for my 250. Gonna reserve the green for pigs. Just wanted to share the experience.

i think it is how bright it is not so much the color. i have had the same problem with my xlr250 red at my bait. i think its just that much brighter then the xlr100 red. i can have the 100 on the coyote but as soon as i put the 250 on him he is in the woods

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: preddhunteri think it is how bright it is not so much the color. i have had the same problem with my xlr250 red at my bait. i think its just that much brighter then the xlr100 red. i can have the 100 on the coyote but as soon as i put the 250 on him he is in the woods

Pretty much my experience too, especially since hogs, coyotes, foxes, etc. cannot tell any difference between the colors green or red since they are not capable of detecting either of these colors.

Hogs do love green even if they cannot see it though....
grin.gif

Green%20Boar%201.jpg

Last edited:
Green or red, if you have them in the dark and then burn them with the light they seem to spook. If you have the light on them running in then they don't seem to mind if the light stayed on them the whole time. Don't give it up yet, just get the light on them early and keep it on them. If you didn't get them early then keep it out on the halo first then ease the center down on them. Too quickly and they don't like it.

My green 250 had the halo shield on it and I'm thinking that was the problem. Couldn't use the halo of the light when using the shield. Had to just burn him with the center of the beam. That's kinda the point though, when transitioning from the 100 while scanning to the 250 for the positive ID and the shot you pretty much have to use the center of the beam since it's mounted on the scope.

OK here's the deal on all animals that are nocturnal and can see perfectly at night.

They can not see color in the Red end of the spectrum.

Here is the way the color spectrum runs:

Red

Orange

Yellow

Green

Blue

Indigo

Violet

Zoos discovered the color differences many years ago when trying to display nocturnal animals. Science proved that the way the rods and cones are arranged in animals eyes that have excellent night vision are color blind first, second, they can not see red. So, Zoos around the world have completly dark houses for viewing nocturnal animals with red light illumination.

Make your red lights dark, then when you get them in the scope, animal identification will all too obvious.

The further you get away from red, the brighter the light looks to them.

I used 35,000 candle power red lights in close in shooting and 100, 000 for normal shooting.

Any leakage of white light around the flapper, will light you up.

When they are close, you had better hit them with the halo.

Green sucks

Green sucks as bad as red sucks due to the fact that they do not see either green or red, they are both the same.

My two cents worth: I have killed them with both green and red 250's. The green is obviously more intense as ackleyman has pointed out and why I mostly use it for pigs now. I personally prefer the red for predators because they seem more at ease when in the beam. Both colors work so pick one color and use it for both. What really seems to make them uncomfortable is changing colors while they are looking at you. This has spooked them almost 100% of the time for me. The same has been true for turning lights on and off while they approach. I scan with a red 100 and don't turn on my red 250 on until I'm ready to shoot. This is what has worked best for me. Hope this helps. John

Ackleymans color list kinda made me chuckle. Roy G Biv.. thats what they tought us in Scuba diving class. Thats also the way that color dissapears underwater. Red is the first color to go on that list. Funny how many fisherman are attracted to a color "Red" that dissapears first underwater. This is not to discredit any post here, it just brought back memories of long ago. Thanks Ackleyman!

Behavior

Though coyotes have been observed to travel in large groups, they primarily hunt in pairs. Typical packs consist of six, closely related adults, yearlings and young. Coyote packs are generally smaller than wolf packs, and associations between individuals are less stable,[20] thus making their social behavior more in line with that of the dingo.[21] In theory, this is due to an earlier expression of aggression, and the fact that coyotes reach their full growth in their first year, unlike wolves, which reach it in their second.[20] Common names of coyote groups are a band, a pack, or a rout.[22] Coyotes are primarily nocturnal, but can often be seen during daylight hours.[3] They were once essentially diurnal, but have adapted to more nocturnal behavior with pressure from humans.[23

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote

i have burned many foxes with my 250 and spotted a few yotes it didnt seem to bother them they just never want to come in before they get down wind. I have had foxes 30 yards runnning right towards me and not seem bothered at all. I like to slowly bring the light down so the light isnt instant it slowly gets brighter they dont seem to spook as bad or at all i have never had a fox spook with this had one stop when i put the center of the beam on him real quick but take it off and put the halo on him and they keep coming.

Back