Cost to cut barrel and recrown

jcs271

I have a Remington VSF with a 26" barrel. I love the rifle but have hated that long barrel since the moment I bought it. It would be my perfect calling rig with a 20" barrel. What is a fair price to cut and recrown a medium weight stainless barrel at a COMPETENT gunshop? Thanks

GAP quoted me $40 for cut and crown, but I am having them throw a badger fte on, so they are cutting and crowning it for free.

It'll be done right through them, but you now face shipping costs.

Wow, one of the local smiths here quoted me $100
frown.gif

$100.00 is what all of my buddy and me are @.
buy the time you take the barrel off dial it in cut it
put it back on check the head space put the gun back togather put the scope back on bore sight it . your into it about 2hr.(lathe work)

for the $30.00 job I will bet you get the hack saw job drag file and lapping compound with a brass screw way!
It works but it shot like a shot gun.

Last edited:
for the $30.00 job I will bet you get the hack saw job drag file and lapping compound with a brass screw way! It works but it shot like a shot gun. [/quote said:
Nope, it was done the proper way on a lathe with a 11 degree crown. $100 to do it ? Someone is getting screwed.

Originally Posted By: vahunter

Nope, it was done the proper way on a lathe with a 11 degree crown. $100 to do it ? Someone is getting screwed.

Yep,,,, Pac-Nor charged me 35.00 and I seriously doubt that they even own a hack saw or brass carriage bolt. Especially a "Carriage Bolt" that will do a recessed crown. LOL
Don't believe me,,,, call em up and ask em.

ETA,,, To be fair, that was for a barreled action. No instalation or bore sighting involved.

Last edited:
Very reputable smith local here quoted me $25 if barrel is under 24" and $50 if longer due to having to remove barrel from action. He also quoted me $80 to rechambered my 243 to 243 AI. The other smith I use here charged me $35 to cut and re-crown my 06'

Different types of lathe sit in different gunsmith shops. Looks like cost depends on lathe type. $70 for last one i had cut/recrowned

What about just a crown job $? That would help with accuracy by what % you think? And anyone in PA know of a place to have it done? I a;;ways thought that would be 150+ $.

Last edited:
Plenty of good gunsmiths in PA.
Cost of crown and, cut and crown are about the same. The time to center everything in the lathe is the time($$) consumer. Once it is centered, pretty much done.

Jack

$35 here in Kansas also. But get this, they charge $35 for cut and re-crown, but $45 to bead blast! Ridiculous...

How much of an accuracy difference between a 45 hunting and 11 target crown. How fragile are target crowns? And can target crowns be placed on non bull barrels?

Originally Posted By: compaq12What about just a crown job $? That would help with accuracy by what % you think? And anyone in PA know of a place to have it done? I a;;ways thought that would be 150+ $. im in the process of getting info on a smith in greenville to thread my barrel for future toy .lol.., dont know how close you are but i can pass it on when i find out ... my buddy over there says he does professional work and is really good priced !!

Back