Superformance loading data for .223

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: ScalloperI was just doing a search on here and it apears as thoe I may have wasted my $$ as most say the reloading data is not available yet. This stinks. And some say the bulk powder is not the same. What kind of goons would do that? I am not sure I will use Hornady products again if thats the case.

Hornady sells very good products, and they are NOT goons.

You are very misinformed about factory loading and hand loading - the powders are similar, but NEVER the same. If factories used the same canister grades of powder that we use, we couldn't afford to buy factory ammo.

The powder "we" use is blended carefully, so each can we buy is as close as possible to the last can we bought - they are so good at the blending that I have never found a significant difference between lot to lot.

The powder that the factories use to load large batches use bulk powder that is "kinda close" to the last batch they bought - the make up for the differences by adjusting the amount of powder in each run.

No goons here, just your misunderstanding of how the industry works.

You are right,it was my mistake. I just asumed that if I bought the loaded ammo from the factory then by buying the powder I could work up my own loads.My neghbor (Jay) hes 80 and a wealth of knowledge on reloading,explained the factory powder vs bulk powder today. It was about the same explanation some gave here.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperYou are right, it was my mistake. I just assumed that if I bought the loaded ammo from the factory then by buying the powder I could work up my own loads.My neighbor (Jay) hes 80 and a wealth of knowledge on reloading, explained the factory powder vs bulk powder today. It was about the same explanation some gave here.

Just a minor correction - what WE BUY in one and eight pound jugs is called "Canister" grade - what the factories buy is BULK - as in tons, (which is bulk to me
wink.gif
)

catshooter, my bad

it is advertised as the same powder used in their superformance ammo and that you can, as advertised to now get the same advatage in your handloads as it superformamce factory loads. it worked for me, looked at a box of it today in 223 and alomst bought a box just to pull it and weight the charge to get a starting point. but I no longer hunt with 223.

again don't mean to put anyone on the wrong path but reading their lit it doesn't seem out of line.

Phil

I've read they use a different powder for the .223 Superformance versus the other offerings in that line of ammo. Thats why there is no load data for the powder in .233 I've got three boxes of the ammo, 300 of the 53g Vmax and a couple pounds of N133. Gonna try to duplicate it as close as I can get.

Superferomace ammo is one thing. Superferomance powder another. The ammuntion is a name brand not specific to the powder loaded. Let me explain. superferomance powder is close to the buring rate of H4831 or Win 780 and works well in 243, 270, and magnums. As Stated earlier this is a slow buring powder.

The Superferornace ammo is ammuntion which generates more than prevoius factory loads. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT IS LOADED WITH SUPERFEROMANCE POWDER!!!!!! Only that it beats standard factory loads.

The superferance 22 cal or varnmit loads are likely loaded with the new CFE223 as they c;osely resemble the loads listed at the Hodgdon web site.

No not yet. this would strictly be using established H4831 or WIN 780 data and working up slowly. I will tell you this my 270 loves Superferomance. with either a 130 Serria BT, or a Barnes 130 TTSX. Sierra seated .20 off and the TTSX .50 off

Boycott Hodgdon, when they aren't selling powder maybe they'll understand. I quit using there products last year for the very reason all of you are complaining about. They're putting powders out and can't even supply data.

When they're out of business and their CEO is pushing a hot dog cart maybe then they will learn. There's better powders out there then Hodgdon.

Originally Posted By: joedBoycott Hodgdon, when they aren't selling powder maybe they'll understand. I quit using there products last year for the very reason all of you are complaining about. They're putting powders out and can't even supply data.

When they're out of business and their CEO is pushing a hot dog cart maybe then they will learn. There's better powders out there then Hodgdon.

Boycott Hodgdon???

Now there's a brilliant idea - then you might as well sell your loading equipment, cuz Hodgdon owns or distributes 98% of the powder in the USA.

What a bunch of whining.

"Superformance" is a TRADE NAME guys, not a powder number - they have many "Superformance" loads - they are not all loaded with the same powder - they CAN'T be. It doesn't work that way.

Originally Posted By: joedBoycott Hodgdon, when they aren't selling powder maybe they'll understand. I quit using there products last year for the very reason all of you are complaining about. They're putting powders out and can't even supply data.

I can’t disagree as its undermining the public to call loaded ammo "Superformance" when that’s not what they use for the load. Watch the commercials closely. Its right up there with some other marketing scams we all see daily. I defiantly don’t trust anything that company says now. They should have put more thought in their marketing of the “Superformance” product line as its clear they have grossly misrepresented their product. Not winning just stating the facts.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: joedBoycott Hodgdon, when they aren't selling powder maybe they'll understand. I quit using there products last year for the very reason all of you are complaining about. They're putting powders out and can't even supply data.

Boycott Hodgdon???

Now there's a brilliant idea - then you might as well sell your loading equipment, cuz Hodgdon owns or distributes 98% of the powder in the USA.

What a bunch of whining.

Where are you getting your facts from? 98% of the powder in the US? Last I checked there were a lot of powders out there not put out by Hodgdon.

I do not have one cannister of powder in my stock that is produced by Hodgdon. Haven't given them my business in years. My last keg of IMR was purchased before Hodgdon bought them up.

To Hodgdon's credit, they have done A LOT for the reloading community.
The issue I think EVERYONE keeps missing, is the "who made who" argument.

Hodgdon DOES NOT "produce, make, or manufacture" ANY smokeless powder; not sure that they ever have.

Having the rights to sell someone else's "brand" can leave them in the cold. Take the Winchester deal, they buy the rights to sell the Winchester name. THEN Winchester sells the plant, and no longer produces it themselves. Now Hodgdon gets put as the "second" middleman.

Originally Posted By: joedOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: joedBoycott Hodgdon, when they aren't selling powder maybe they'll understand. I quit using there products last year for the very reason all of you are complaining about. They're putting powders out and can't even supply data.

Boycott Hodgdon???

What a bunch of whining.

Where are you getting your facts from? 98% of the powder in the US? Last I checked there were a lot of powders out there not put out by Hodgdon.

I do not have one cannister of powder in my stock that is produced by Hodgdon. Haven't given them my business in years. My last keg of IMR was purchased before Hodgdon bought them up.

Hodgdon is...

1 - Hodgdon powders.
2 - Winchester powders.
3 - IMR powders.
4 - Goex powders.

They don't do Vihtavuori and Alliant.

So in the reloading world, that is well over 90% of the volume of powder sales in the USA.

Vihtavuori is almost unavailable, and Alliant is a small volume seller, because it burns so dirty, and the burn rates vary from lot to lot, and it's a double base powder, and those are becoming unpopular.

I don't know about where you live - maybe your stores are big on Alliant and Vihtavuori, but here... they are just not happening.

(Edit), I forgot AA powders, so Hodgdon handles ~85 % of the powder, and most of the best ones - that still means that if you boycott them, you shoot yourself in the foot.

Instead of whining on the internet, why don't you do something productive and call them and explain your confusion with the Superformance name for cartridges and powders - it's much better than wasting time whining to people that cannot change it.

Interesting as in this region Alliant sells much more powder and everyone wants it because it's double based. Even I have switched to it after using IMR for 30 years and can't complain.

I'm not complaining about Superformance, I wouldn't use it. I was going to use IMR 4007ssc and IMR 8208xbr a few years ago but there was no data available on those either. Once again Hodgdon jumped the gun.

I have no problem boycotting Hodgdon, I do not use their powders. By the time my IMR runs out it will be the least of my worries.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: joedOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: joedBoycott Hodgdon, when they aren't selling powder maybe they'll understand. I quit using there products last year for the very reason all of you are complaining about. They're putting powders out and can't even supply data.

Boycott Hodgdon???

What a bunch of whining.

Hodgdon is...

1 - Hodgdon powders.
2 - Winchester powders.
3 - IMR powders.
4 - Goex powders.

They don't do Vihtavuori and Alliant.

So in the reloading world, that is well over 90% of the volume of powder sales in the USA.

Vihtavuori is almost unavailable, and Alliant is a small volume seller, because it burns so dirty, and the burn rates vary from lot to lot, and it's a double base powder, and those are becoming unpopular.

I don't know about where you live - maybe your stores are big on Alliant and Vihtavuori, but here... they are just not happening.

(Edit), I forgot AA powders, so Hodgdon handles ~85 % of the powder, and most of the best ones - that still means that if you boycott them, you shoot yourself in the foot.

Instead of whining on the internet, why don't you do something productive and call them and explain your confusion with the Superformance name for cartridges and powders - it's much better than wasting time whining to people that cannot change it.

Don't forget some of the best powder out there....Ramshot.

Ramshot is also a distributor(just like Hodgdon).
Their powder comes from General Dynamics(Canada) and Eurenco(Belgium) which is also majority controlled by SNPE Group(French Gv't)

Never tried Ramshot but may have to, I've sworn off Hodgdon for the past 2 years with no ill effects.

I've actually always felt Hodgdon was a dirty powder compared to Alliant.

Funny how powder seems to be a regional thing. The Reloader series is very big in this area because it is a double based powder and gives more velocity. I was reluctant to go to it in the beginning, now I don't know if I'd consider going back.

Back