7mm rem mag. Muzzle brake or not?

je4bowhuntin

I have a 110 7mm with factory sporter barrel I am working on. I have added a pillar to the rear action screw in the synthetic stock and went to a metal trigger gaurd. Will be bedding the action tonight and working on the trigger some this week. If this gun shoots well after I get her together I will possibly carry as my primary deer rifle. So with that in mind my average hunting allows a maximum 400 yd shot. Would it be beneficial to add a muzzle brake or would y'all leave that out?

If it becomes go to Big gun it will prolly hunt 40-50 outings a year between deer season/hopefully hog and occasional yote hunt when I just feel like shooting it. I usually shoot my rifles 2 weekends a month except in deer season and hot summer, so it will get shot quite often

Last edited:
A 7 Rem Mag doesn't recoil enough. A good stock and pad combo are a much better option. I'm only 160# and have zero issues with 40+ round range sessions.

I am thinking about a limb saver recoil pad. Have one on my 30-06 and my 12 yr old don't mind shooting it. Was thinking about felt recoil but time taken to get back on target if needed.

I'm with PaHtr on this. I have M70 Syn. 26" bbl and took the hard rubber pad off and put on a sims slip-on. My wife shoots it with near max 160 Accubonds and it is not bad. Imo unless the gun is terrible on recoil a brake adds an unnecassary amoumt of noise.

I just picked up a Savage 10fp in .308, and I am just waiting on Joe Bobs to get the one I am looking for,in.Does the gun really need one? Probably not,but it is threaded and they look cool as $@#%,so why not! It will be a range/Deer rifle and reducing recoil can't hurt a thing.Did I mention they look cool as %$#@ too.
As a side note-get rid of the Mathews and get a PSE !!!!!

Mikeyg, lol I don't shoot a Mathews because I think they are the best. Although I do love it the real reason I shoot it because the gun and archery shop here I go to is the #1 Mathews dealer in ok. He is that because he takes care of his customers like nowhere else I have ever done business. wether you spend $5 or $500 he treats you the same and is happy you do business with them. So since he sells Mathews I sold my other bow and tried one and I like it. I started shooting savages because he was a dealer. Needless to say he has influenced me down 2 very accurate paths!!!lol. On a side note I can flat shoot this Mathews and if ya lived closer I would say we should get together and see if that pse can hang!!!lol

I personally like the brake. If you decide to put a brake on it, make sure you have the barrel cut back so you don't add any unwanted length to the barrel. If you decide to put a brake on it, check out the Holland brake. I really like mine.

When it comes to the bows, I'd stick with the Matthews before I shot a PSE. I'm a Bowtech shooter myself. If you stay with any of the big three bow companies, you'll be fine. Those three are Bowtech, Matthews and Hoyt. PSE's are crap compared to those.

I have breaks on just about all my guns.

With the 7 mag and a muzzle break, it will kick like a 243, and every one that I have put a break on would shoot 1/2" or smaller groups....I shoot a lot.

With the muzzle break, you will see your bullet impact on the animal unless you blink at the shot.

Also, if you do not wear hearing protection, you will ruin your ears with a muzzle brake...you will also ruin your ears not using ear protection if you do not use a muzzle break.

Peltor electronic ear muffs, Tac 6 is the answer...hear 3x better than the human is supposed to, keeps your ears warm.

Archery is my first passion and guns run a close 2nd. pse or bowtech...neither one is on my purchase list.lol. Different strokes for different folks

if you really wanted a satisfactory suppression in recoil, sound, and overall accuracy, take a look @ suppression instead of using a brake!!!

I'm fairly sensitive to recoil and I don't have a break on my 7mm RM. I put a limbsaver pad on it and for me its an easy gun to shoot well at the range. On game, never even notice it. No need to put up with the noise of a break on a 7mm RM in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: bowhunt32I'm fairly sensitive to recoil and I don't have a break on my 7mm RM. I put a limbsaver pad on it and for me its an easy gun to shoot well at the range. On game, never even notice it. No need to put up with the noise of a break on a 7mm RM in my opinion.
+100

I'm with bowhunt32 on this. I'd rather put up with the relatively mild recoil of a 7MM Mag (Yes....it is mild.), even when it's shot a bunch, than put up with the extra noise a break brings to the table.

I hunt with and shoot large bore rifles regularly and none of them have a break installed for the noise reasons. Does a 416 Taylor kick? Yes it does, but I would rather deal with that than I would like dealing with the deafening noise it would put out with a muzzle break installed, even with electronic hearing protection on, (which I wear regularly even when hunting).

Originally Posted By: skinneyif you really wanted a satisfactory suppression in recoil, sound, and overall accuracy, take a look @ suppression instead of using a brake!!!

for sure..... its the only way to go

Back