65 grain Game King in 1:12 twist work?

spotshot

Anyone try the 65 grain Game King in a 1:12 twist barrel? Sierra recommends 1:10 minimum but I thought it might just work in my Savage.

Really only one way to find out. Load some up and give it a try. If you have some Varget or H4895 on hand, I'd suggest using those powders. I shoot that bullet a lot, but out of an 8" twist. It shot well out of a 9" twist AR that I had too.
Who knows, you may get lucky and your rifle might like it.
Good luck!
grin.gif

RileyLake uses that bullet in a Savage 1in12 .22-250. Stabilizes at speeds 2900-3500fps out to 300yds. That's as far as he had shot it back when I was talking to him.
Give it a go can't hurt to try.

They shoot great out of my .223 and .223AI but I am running a 1:9 barrel. Very consistent results on coyotes and blacktail.

Not sure about the 22-250. I just shot two loads out of a 6x284 with a 1 in 14 twist barrel using 65gr V-Max. Shot very good. I just wouldn't try and push them to hard.

my 1-12 twist savage shoots nosler partitions great (1/2) inch. they are a flat based bullet. a 65 flat base might be fine.

They could work.
According to the Miller stability factor [if I figured the correct bullet length] @ 3500fps the stability number is 1.043 for a 65gr Sierra with 12 twist. This is marginal, but I shoot some other bullet, barrel combinations that have a stabilization number in the high .900, and they group well.

Stabilization numbers should be in the 1.30 range and up for good stability.

Give it a whirl!

Nosler is now offering seconds of a .224 cal 64 gr Bonded Protected point. Length is .787" and it will stabilize in a 1:14 twist.

JD338

Back