New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help.

Please do not change your mind based on what I am experiencing with my rifle, I really like my rifle. I just want it to be 100%. They are awesome. Mine just happens to have problems, if my problems get fixed I will be happy and I know a few of the CSVCA members will be buying one depending on how the customer service turns out.

Boy if you send oly the pics you posted on here I would say they definately should feel obligated too take care of you, I think you got a major lemon I would want a whole new rifle or my money back. Cant wait too here how this plays out keep us posted, good luck hope it works out for you.

Originally Posted By: CSVCA KevinOriginally Posted By: Hail CaesarCan you show a pic of the back of the carrier where it is contacting the buffer. I think I know the problem.

I think that the gap between the upper and lower receivers is causing the problem. When I put the two receivers together, there is a gap in between the bolt carrier and the buffer.

Think of it like this. Your shoulder is the buffer and the rifle is the bolt carrier.
Now, Hold the rifle to your shoulder and fire your rifle, your shoulder will move with the recoil. Now hold your rifle 1/2" off of your shoulder and you get hit and it will hurt, Causing damage.

Hereistherearoftheboltcarrier.jpg

5Gapinuppertolowerwithlotsofplay.jpg

I knew it was one of two things, and the gap it causing it. The carrier is free recoiling against the buffer. The buffer will not last long.

The only way to fix that gun is to chop saw it to pieces and get another one.

AL

Another goodie;

I used to live in Olympia WA, and after calling Oly Arms, drove out to check out their facility.

When I got there, a few things became rather clear.

1) Their "factory" looked like the set of Sanford & Son. (Absolutely NOT kidding) Junk laying around everywhere, I actually thought I was at a junkyard. The inside was not much better. I saw them stacking guns on the floor. Just stacking them into a pile after they assembled them. It looked like something you would see the Soviets do with an AK during wartime. The assembly line workers were kids. Well, not children..but they looked like teenagers that should be working at McDonald's. I couldn't believe it, what dump.

2) Despite being told "Sure, come on down!" on the phone, when I got there, I was dealt with like I was Diane Feinstein by EVERYONE. One guy was pleasant and answered my questions...so not a total disaster, but the rest were pricks in general.

3) There was nothing and I mean NOTHING about their "facility" that looked suitable for manufacturing dog toys, let alone firearms.

If you never get a 2nd chance to make 1st impressions, Oly lost me COMPLETELY with that one.

And another ( the last). I hope you are getting the picture.

I've had nothing but problems with my Oly lower, that jerk blamed the magazines even though my cast Oly lower was so out of spec that the back of an inserted magazine hits the bolt and keeps the bolt from closing. This was after trying about 30 different magazines at a gun show. None of them worked. Tom called me lazy since I was unwilling to modify all of the magazines I own rather than asking for an RMA #. I modified a couple of magazines anyway, but while shooting they'd still work their way upward to block the bolt. I've had that piece of junk for over five years, and I have never gotten anywhere towards getting them to honor their warranty. They just don't give a [beeep].

Arfcom....never even look at that place.

I have real experience with Oly, most is not good. Some is horrific. The only thing they seem to do right is their Ultra Match barrels, they are very, very good barrels.

Have you dealt with Oly for over a decade? Selling and servicing? I have.

I won't touch one with a ten foot pole anymore. Nor will most dealers that like their customers.

I will never own an Oly or many other brands that are popular with guys on here. The problem with threads asking is (fill in the blank) reliable,quality,good to go.... Is that when you tell the person about problems you have had or have seen, you will have 20 people tell you that you don't know what you are talking about or you are an elitist . You really need to research brands on other sites, not just this one.

Originally Posted By: Hail CaesarI won't touch one with a ten foot pole anymore. Nor will most dealers that like their customers.
fine, then just stay on topic, and cease with the Google’d hearsay, and insignificant ‘Cast Lower’ stories … it’s old news already!

A I actually know one of those guys, he is a man of honor.

I can tell you FIRST hand things I have seen and hear also. Problems I have personally dealt with, times I have HAD to call Oly. I could tell you out of all the brands I have dealt with, Oly had the most problems by far and the worst Customer Service by a long shot. (Well not as bad as Ceiner).

These things are still going on today.

GlobeMaster, what is your experience with Oly?

I wish the OP well, I'll pray for you.

Al

Last edited:

A hater is gonna hate. Lay off Olympic. Shot many Colts with gaps in between receivers. They rattled like crazy but ran forever.

Originally Posted By: jrar15
A hater is gonna hate. Lay off Olympic. Shot many Colts with gaps in between receivers. They rattled like crazy but ran forever.

I actually addressed that.
"Truthfully upper and lower fit is not important to accuracy unless you are shooting in the Olympics."

It appears that there is too much a gap in this one and the carrier is free to slam into the buffer face. With the pressure of a 22-250 that must be a heck of a wallop. I only seen one gun do this and that was a .308, and the buffer came apart, but not before it ate 3 buffer retainers.

BTW..did you see the tooling marks in that buffer face?? WOW.

The other issue appears to be a leak in the gas system. And the key is chipping.

And all the company has offered so far is "It's fine, it's your fault."

Originally Posted By: Hail Caesar I actually know one of those guys, he is a man of honor.
no one is questioning that; just stay on the ‘current’ topic at hand …

Originally Posted By: Hail Caesar I can tell you FIRST hand things I have seen and hear also. Problems I have personally dealt with, times I have HAD to call Oly. I could tell you out of all the brands I have dealt with, Oly had the most problems by far and the worst Customer Service by a long shot.
fine, then start your own ‘Rant’ thread; as that 'garbage' (trash-talk) has no place, or any added value here …

Originally Posted By: Hail Caesar These things are still going on today.
I’m sure they are …

Originally Posted By: Hail Caesar GlobeMaster, what is your experience with Oly?
I’ve owned a few of them for over six years now; most were built by Dtech, and I’ve never had any of these issues, with any of them …

Just trying to figure out why you continue to deal with them if you feel they are so "horrendous". I wouldn't take the time to tour the factory or have more than one story on how terrible they were if I had a bad experience.

Originally Posted By: jrar15Just trying to figure out why you continue to deal with them if you feel they are so "horrendous". I wouldn't take the time to tour the factory or have more than one story on how terrible they were if I had a bad experience.

I don't. I refuse to sell or buy Oly's. No way I am sticking it to others and I refuse to be stuck with one. I still try and fix the ones that people bring by that are bad.

Some dealers have done the same. Some LOVE Oly. They sell them (Oly has a great profit margin) and buy them back dirt cheap when they have issues. Then turn around and sell the same gun to someone else (more profit). Then the gun is returned they buy it back dirt cheap. (Repeat, repeat, repeat) One shop is notorious for this, they love Oly and push the heck out of them.

Of course not all are bad, not at all. Some are good guns. Just OLY has horrible quality control and some are very bad. You can't just go buy one and say it is the best gun ever, or the worst. Because with your one gun (or two) you have a sampling of one or two. I am sure their is one guy out their still driving a Yugo with over a million miles. No way you could convince that guy Yugo's are crapola.
But when you get into selling 10,20,30,40..or more of these guns you really start to see a pattern (whether good or bad).

The good about OLY; When you get a UltraMatch barrel gun that works it works fine and is VERY accurate. When you get a bad one....you have a nightmare.

OP,
Enough. I have had it. I REALLY hope they sort things out. If they are really offering refunds now (they used to refuse them) TAKE IT. If nothing else, see if they will replace with a new one (they used to refuse this too) as that gun is a basket case.
I think by your phone call to them that you know in your heart were this will end up.

Wow, more bashing of a paying sponsor? Just another reason I love this place. I've been a reader for years, finally sign up and all of a sudden, its open season on sponsors?
Glad my dime isn't tied to this nonsense

Gentlemen,
I understand that some of have experienced bad customer with Olympic Arms in the past. I can appreciate how upset you are with them for not handling your rifle issues the way that they should have. I hope that things have changed since the last time you have dealt with them. I am going to remain positive until I have a reason not to. I would like to give them a chance to hold true to their warranty and satisfaction guarantee.

Originally Posted By: VaporWow, more bashing of a paying sponsor? Just another reason I love this place. I've been a reader for years, finally sign up and all of a sudden, its open season on sponsors?
Glad my dime isn't tied to this nonsense

You would rather they purchase opinion and reviews? You don't want the truth?

This is why we STAY here.

I was really wanting a 22 250 in the AR platform. After reading all this I am not placing my order with them next week. I was just getting ready to order one and now I will just wait and look around for another brand. Thanks to all you for saving me 1600.

Back