New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help.

CSVCA Kevin

Update on the bottom of page 6
Hello All,

I’ll start off by saying I love my new rifle and wish that it was not having all these problems.

On January 22, 2012 I bought a new Olympic arms UMAR 22-250, After waiting a month for my new scope to arrive I took the rifle to the rifle range for the first time this last weekend. I am extremely impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. It was shooting sub MOA at 100 yards using Hornady 50 grain V-max. That’s Good to Go.

Unfortunately I am disappointed with my new UMAR 22-250. I was braking in barrel using the Fire, Clean, Treat, Lubricate and Fire Method at the range and noticed a few problems,

(1) I noticed that the bolt carrier is damaging the buffer, when the weapon is fired and bolt carrier comes recoiling back instead of going with the buffer, it initially slams into the buffer and then completes its firing cycle. In a properly operating AR/M16 variant the bolt carrier rides the buffer it does not slam the face of the buffer and cause damage.

I was told over the phone that this is normal for the UMAR, Are any of you having this problem?

(2) The bolt is damaging the aluminum magazine follower (This has already caused the bolt catch to malfunction due to aluminum shavings getting caught in the bolt catch plunger).

I was told over the phone this is due to sending the bolt home on an empty magazine.
So if you own one don’t do it. BTW this is not mentioned in the UMAR owner’s manual that I received with the rifle.

(3) There is damage to the bolt key. I was told over the phone that’s just the way they are receiving them from their suppliers.

Does your bolt key look similar?

4) I am not happy with the amount of play between the upper and lower receiver and my upper does not sit nice and tight into the lower, there is a obvious gap at the rear and the bolt carrier is not sitting exactly flush with the rear of the upper. Olympic arms rifles are known for there tight fit. This rifle does not have it.

(5) When the rifle is fired and the spent cartridge is ejected, sometimes the spent cartridge only gets thrown about 1 foot away.

What do you think could cause this problem?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post, I truly appreciate your opinion and comments.

Please see attached pictures.

1Dammagetobuffer.jpg

2Theboltisdamagingthemagazinefollower.jpg

3Thereisdamagetotheboltkey.jpg

4Gapinuppertolowerwithlotsofplay.jpg

5Gapinuppertolowerwithlotsofplay.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so im very dissapointed in this. I hope that Oly Arms takes better care of you and your problems. The gap on that weapon is horrible. I just paid 1600 for my UMAR 22-250 and after seeing this I want to go cancel mine. I hope this is not the problem with all of them. It looks like you have already shot 1000 rds through that thing. But I am amazed on the gap between the upper and lower. Keep us updated and I hope someone one tells you something because im worried about mine now

Sorry to her of your issues. That buffer looks horrible. Good luck and keep us posted. I think Skinny has one maybe check with him.

Last edited:
Oly's Customer Service and (really) their Quality Control have always been terrible to horrendous.

Can you show a pic of the back of the carrier where it is contacting the buffer. I think I know the problem.

The key looks terrible and would be surprised if pieces start chipping off.

I have seen Oly's that are so tight you have to beat them together and beat them apart. And Oly's that are rattle traps. Truthfully upper and lower fit is not important to accuracy unless you are shooting in the Olympics.

Erratic ejection is probably caused by gas leak. Either the key or gas block.

Oly's response is going to be: Deny, Lie, Blame, and refuse. Trust me on this one.

Wow . Whats the back of the carrier look like. Might have to lap it. You can get a plastic pad to go on the buffer face to help. That upper to lower fit is terrible.

Originally Posted By: Hail Caesar
Oly's response is going to be: Deny, Lie, Blame, and refuse. Trust me on this one.

Olympic Arms will not treat you like this... they will take care of your problems..."if" your problems are legit, and not caused from careless abuse!!!
My UMAR upper and lower fit flawlessly together, no play involved, the buffer, mag and bolt have no such markings as yours, but I have only put about 50rds through mine.

OMG!!! Where were you guys at the other night when I made that post "Olympic Arms????" I said I heard some bad things about Oly Arms wanted to know if they were good or bad. Everybody said they were good, now this. I just paid for my 22-250 today. I went ahead and did my paperwork and paid for it so it would not get sold to someone else. Now Im freaking out that i just bought a POS!! Then I thought atleast it has a lifetime warranty, but now I am hearing there customer service sucks. God please tell me i didnt just throw 1600 down the drain

Originally Posted By: cmil84I hope that Oly Arms takes better care of you and your problems.

You and me both.

I e-mailed and talked to Andy on Friday March 2nd. Andy is Olympic Arms gun smith. He seems good to go. I am standing by to hear back from him via E-mail.

OLYMPIC ARMS INC.......
(1)“ Above and beyond our Lifetime Warranty we offer a Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not satisfied with any Olympic Arms product for any reason you have the option to return the product to us within 60 days for a replacement, credit or full refund.” (The clock is ticking) I need help fast!

(2)"The first thing you'll probably notice about your Olympic Arms AR-15 is that it has a tight fit. At least tighter than what you are used to seeing in most other brand name products. The rear takedown pin may be tighter than usual. The charging handle, and bolt carrier fit a bit snug. When charging the rifle you feel a bit more resistance than you may be used to. The magazine well is sometimes tighter than most, in fact some aftermarket mags will show considerable resistance when installing in your lower. These are all common comments made by first time Olympic Arms owners. Keep in mind these are indications of superior quality in our manufacturing processes, resulting in a better over-all performance from your Olympic Arms product."

I hope he gets back to me soon- Real soon.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Hail Caesar

Olympic Arms will not treat you like this... they will take care of your problems..."if" your problems are legit, and not caused from careless abuse!!!
My UMAR upper and lower fit flawlessly together, no play involved, the buffer, mag and bolt have no such markings as yours, but I have only put about 50rds through mine.

I have dealt with Oly for years. Unless their CS has changed recently....they have horrendous CS.

Ask other dealers that have dealt with Oly and see what they say. Most rank Oly the worst in the business. Most have a; "Oh you think Oly treated you bad on that one....top this...!!" stories.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: Hail Caesar

I hope your right. My problems are legit, and are not caused from careless abuse in any way shape or form.

My rifle only has 70 rounds through it.
25-Hornady 50 gr. V-max (holds the best 5 shot group.)
20-Fereral 55 gr. Hollow point
20-winchester supreme 55 gr. ballistic silvertip
5-Remington lead free 45gr. premier varmint (To help save the condor.)

BTW, I like your UMAR evaluation. You did a great job.

Widow maker 223 said:
You can get a plastic pad to go on the buffer face to help.quote]

Thank you for the help with the plastic pad that is a good idea.

But It’s just not for me or any of my rifles.

To me that is like putting a Band-Aid on a sunken chest wound, when it comes down to $1600 I expect nothing but the top of the line quality that I paid for.

Again, Thank you for your helpful Idea, I just do not want to try to fix a problem that needs to be fixed correctly by Olympic arms.

Originally Posted By: CSVCA Kevin
Widow maker 223 said:
You can get a plastic pad to go on the buffer face to help.quote]

Thank you for the help with the plastic pad that is a good idea.

But It’s just not for me or any of my rifles.

To me that is like putting a Band-Aid on a sunken chest wound, when it comes down to $1600 I expect nothing but the top of the line quality that I paid for.

Again, Thank you for your helpful Idea, I just do not want to try to fix a problem that needs to be fixed correctly by Olympic arms.

Those are a Band Aid. And usually they end up tearing to pieces and tie up your gun.

I will say what I have said before. Do the research and make up your own mind about their CS and Product.
They are like any other company. They have a history that will tell you a lot.

Fellas...
the only thing that doesn't make sense to me, is the gap between the upper and lower... NOW, if it were me personally I would have noticed that @ the get go (and wouldn't have taken one shot through the rifle before sending it back), and would of hoped the manufacturer would have noticed it before leaving the factory, this being said, I'm sure a few flaws get by when mass producing, which is why I'm sure Olympic will treat your right.

Here is one FFL taking about Oly;

Originally Posted By Banzai:

I USED TO SELL OLYMPICS.

I also stock Colts, BM, RRA, and AR.
Wanna know what the #1 most repaired AR15 in my shop is? OLYMPIC.
I don't sell them anymore.
Wanna know what the most repaired AR15 in my store is now? Still the OLYMPIC.
Wanna know what I've had to send Olys back for? You name it.
Wanna know how hard it is to get repair parts/replacement parts/financial reimbursement for shipping NEW guns back to OLY for warranty work as a gun dealer? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!

Several distributors have even stopped carrying Olympic rifles because of the high reject rate once they get to the dealers.

I've actually had OLY on the phone with a customer in my shop, and they have actually told the guy that there was nothing wrong, and if he shipped it back, they would not fix it. The rifle had a broken bolt. Sheared off 2 lugs, broke at the cam pin hole, and damaged the bolt carrier.

I fixed it, with BM parts that were available to me at the time. I sent the bill to OLY, never got a response. Sold the debt off to a collection agency, along with all the other repairs that I had to do on OLY guns. Now, if an OLY comes in for repair, I advise the individual that it will cost them an open ended amount and get them to sign the estimate before I'll even touch it.

SHOT show 2002 I took them a box of the parts that I had replaced from their guns that I could not get reimbursement for.

I'll guarntee I've owned/handled/shot more OLYs since 1999 than you ever will, unless you work at Oly or a gun store.

There is, at best 15% profit in retail guns. Olys eat up my 15% on repair parts/shipping/gunsmith time almost as soon as they get unpacked. No more!

Now, about their issues, still "Pretty sure they have been resolved by now" ?????

Or is my post worthless, too?

Tom

And another;

WEeused to be a Oly dealer used to be the operative word

We had to send probably 25% of the cast plinkers we sold back for repair and probably 10% of the regular Olys

had about the same luck with DPMS

probably sold about 50 plinkers

The failure rate of the other better ( A ,B ,C ,RRA) brands is probably about 1% in my experence

I agree it is a band aid and id send it back. Asap. That is crap that it slipped by but i bet they are having orders thrown at them for this weapon. It happens and it sucks that it happeed to you. Hope they take care of you

Originally Posted By: Hail CaesarCan you show a pic of the back of the carrier where it is contacting the buffer. I think I know the problem.

I think that the gap between the upper and lower receivers is causing the problem. When I put the two receivers together, there is a gap in between the bolt carrier and the buffer.

Think of it like this. Your shoulder is the buffer and the rifle is the bolt carrier.
Now, Hold the rifle to your shoulder and fire your rifle, your shoulder will move with the recoil. Now hold your rifle 1/2" off of your shoulder and you get hit and it will hurt, Causing damage.

Hereistherearoftheboltcarrier.jpg

5Gapinuppertolowerwithlotsofplay.jpg

Back