4 cats, friends, a camera man and a young man's first cat

Yellowhammer

Staff member
My son Hunter and I drove a couple of hours yesterday to meet up with Venatic and Skinnerworldchamp for a night of calling.

I had a property we wanted to hit, as did David. Seth was bringing his camera along to get it all on film.

We ate a quick supper and headed out to make the first stand just after dark. We had a half moon that was much brighter than we would have liked, but the wind had dropped to almost nothing after blowing pretty hard most of the day.

We had high hopes to start the night, and heard at least 3 groups of coyotes after the first 20 minutes of the first stand, but nothing showed. Several stands later, we still had yet to get any eyes.

Finally on about the 6th stand we lip squeaked in a coon to a few feet for some good film footage, but since it was a spot we had missed a bobcat earlier in the year and we had not even started really calling we gave him a pass.

That stand and the next didn't produce, but on the last stand for that property I heard Venatic smooch several minutes into the stand and I knew he saw something. The "something" ended up being a cat that he had at 20 yards but Skinner, myself nor Hunter could see it as David was just around the corner watching the downwind side. He didn't shoot hoping that Seth could get it on camera and Hunter could kill his first cat.

Seth and I finally saw eyes as he circled toward the caller, and because it was downwind and not bugging out I knew it must be a cat or coon. Seth and I lost the eyes, and then I saw a coon right out in front and figured that was what David had seen but it turned and left. After another 5 minutes or so, Seth turned off the call since we thought the coon was what David had seen. Then David told us he had a cat a 20 yards. we talked about it for a minute or so, and Seth went to get the call. Then he waves us over as he sees the cat sitting out about 75 yards from the caller behind the tree where we couldn't see from our postition. We got Hunter in possition for a shot, but in our rush one leg of the tripod wouldn't stay up. Hunter took a front on shot and missed.

Dang it! Nothing on film either.

By this time it was 2am and we had about called the good spots and decided to move to another property and stop by the store and get something to drink and a snack.

By about 2:30 or so we were calling again and the first spot we had a cat coming at the 10 minute mark. We had already passed a coon and were watching another couple coons when I picked up eyes about 250 yards out and circling. Seth and I at first thought coyote the way it was moving fast and circling, then as it got closer we could tell it was a another cat. It continued to make a big circle behind the caller and I got Hunter ready for a shot. Seth was running the camera for some great footage. Just when we thought the cat was going to circle past, he made a charge toward the call. I squeaked to get him to stop and Hunter shot followed a half second later by Venatic's shot. Both shots hammered home and Seth was PUMPED about some great film footage.

Hunter was all smiles and after being to the point of wanting to sleep the rest of the night in the truck, he was now all pumped up for the next stand. Seth shot some more video and we took some pictures.

Here is Hunter's first cat in hand. He missed a bobcat last year, and one earlier tonight, but that was all forgotten!

Hunterfirstcat12.jpg

Huntercat3-3-12.jpg

The next stand we had several coons, and after about 10 minutes we let Hunter burn some more powder. The .221 was smoking now.

Huntercoon3-3-12.jpg

The very next stand we see a coon, cows and several deer walking in. About 2 minutes of calling and we have another cat hard charging in. Hunter gets the scope on it and is the first to say "cat". Seth is running the camera and whispers to me "shoot this one". I squeak to stop him and drop the hammer. Then Hunter and David give me a fit for not letting Hunter shoot it, and there is some discussion that we should have let it come a little closer for more video.

I am making all kinds of excuses to Hunter, and telling him he will get another chance.

Anyway, here is that cat taken at the 4 minute mark.

Buffalocat3-3-12.jpg

Daylight is fast approaching by this time, and we know we only have time for one more before daylight. We go to one of David's coyote hot spots, and we still have not seen a coyote all night.

A minute or so into the call and we have the 4th cat of the night charging hard to the call. I tell Hunter it is a cat, and to shoot when I squeak to stop it. Seth is running tape, I am lighting up the cat, and David is back up. I squeak to stop the cat for a broadside, but as I squeak he turns to give Hunter the face on shot. Hunter takes the shot, but it is another miss, and he darts to the brush. About a minute later, and here he comes back. I am not sure if Hunter has reloaded, and just getting him in the scope when David tries for head shot, not knowing we see him too. That ends up being a miss too, and it is getting daylight as we walk back to the truck.

By this time we are all pretty much whipped and my feet are killing me from standing and walking all night. We head to the local cafe for a good breakfast and recap of the night.

I always enjoy hunting with David, and it was a pleasure to meet Seth for the first time. Hunting with a camera, a kid and a quick triggered Camel makes for an entertaining evening.

The challenge of trying to communicate with 3 people in the dark, making sure your son is practicing good gun safety and being sure of his night time targets and who is taking the shot is a lot to keep up with.

Finally, on the 2 hour drive home as Hunter slept and I was doing my best to stay awake, I saw the first coyote of the hunt as he stolled across the four lane loop as I came into town. I tried to wake Hunter to see the coyote, he was like "huh, what?" Go back to sleep, son. We will be home in an hour.

Edit: Seth just sent me a picture he pulled from the video of Hunter and me with our cats side by side. I wish I had remembered to get take one myself. Thanks, Seth.

MeHunterbobcats.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited:
Shawn it was a pleasure hunting with you and hunter! That was a great recap of what seem to be a 2 day event rolled into a few dark hours in Bobcat heaven... Lol... I havent watched back the footage yet but I know we have some very cool stuff captured on the HD camera. Congrats to hunter again on his first bobcat and thanks for letting me tag along and film the action I had a blast. And your right about trying to keep everybody on the same page and filming it all too.It can be very difficult at times, but I think we pulled it off pretty well for our first time ever hunting together. God bless you guys and tell Hunter to give ol Sidney a hug for me
smile.gif

Last edited:
Glad we got Hunter a Bobcat. He probably will have autograph seekers and paparazzi following him now that he is in the movies.
cool.gif

Added a picture that Seth pulled from the video. We have not had very good weather to hunt since this hunt. Got over 6 inches of rain last weekend.

Back