Ritchs Precision Guns

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#2171481 - 03/03/12 07:53 PM New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help.
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Down Wind and Out of Sight
Update on the bottom of page 6
Hello All,

I’ll start off by saying I love my new rifle and wish that it was not having all these problems.

On January 22, 2012 I bought a new Olympic arms UMAR 22-250, After waiting a month for my new scope to arrive I took the rifle to the rifle range for the first time this last weekend. I am extremely impressed with the accuracy of the rifle. It was shooting sub MOA at 100 yards using Hornady 50 grain V-max. That’s Good to Go.

Unfortunately I am disappointed with my new UMAR 22-250. I was braking in barrel using the Fire, Clean, Treat, Lubricate and Fire Method at the range and noticed a few problems,

(1) I noticed that the bolt carrier is damaging the buffer, when the weapon is fired and bolt carrier comes recoiling back instead of going with the buffer, it initially slams into the buffer and then completes its firing cycle. In a properly operating AR/M16 variant the bolt carrier rides the buffer it does not slam the face of the buffer and cause damage.

I was told over the phone that this is normal for the UMAR, Are any of you having this problem?

(2) The bolt is damaging the aluminum magazine follower (This has already caused the bolt catch to malfunction due to aluminum shavings getting caught in the bolt catch plunger).

I was told over the phone this is due to sending the bolt home on an empty magazine.
So if you own one don’t do it. BTW this is not mentioned in the UMAR owner’s manual that I received with the rifle.

(3) There is damage to the bolt key. I was told over the phone that’s just the way they are receiving them from their suppliers.

Does your bolt key look similar?

4) I am not happy with the amount of play between the upper and lower receiver and my upper does not sit nice and tight into the lower, there is a obvious gap at the rear and the bolt carrier is not sitting exactly flush with the rear of the upper. Olympic arms rifles are known for there tight fit. This rifle does not have it.

(5) When the rifle is fired and the spent cartridge is ejected, sometimes the spent cartridge only gets thrown about 1 foot away.

What do you think could cause this problem?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post, I truly appreciate your opinion and comments.

Please see attached pictures.

Edited by CSVCA Kevin (04/05/12 08:19 PM)

#2171519 - 03/03/12 09:02 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: IL.
Ok so im very dissapointed in this. I hope that Oly Arms takes better care of you and your problems. The gap on that weapon is horrible. I just paid 1600 for my UMAR 22-250 and after seeing this I want to go cancel mine. I hope this is not the problem with all of them. It looks like you have already shot 1000 rds through that thing. But I am amazed on the gap between the upper and lower. Keep us updated and I hope someone one tells you something because im worried about mine now

#2171539 - 03/03/12 09:20 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
pd721el Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: South Dakota
Sorry to her of your issues. That buffer looks horrible. Good luck and keep us posted. I think Skinny has one maybe check with him.

Edited by pd721el (03/03/12 09:20 PM)

#2171576 - 03/03/12 09:47 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Southern Illinois
Oly's Customer Service and (really) their Quality Control have always been terrible to horrendous.

Can you show a pic of the back of the carrier where it is contacting the buffer. I think I know the problem.

The key looks terrible and would be surprised if pieces start chipping off.

I have seen Oly's that are so tight you have to beat them together and beat them apart. And Oly's that are rattle traps. Truthfully upper and lower fit is not important to accuracy unless you are shooting in the Olympics.

Erratic ejection is probably caused by gas leak. Either the key or gas block.

Oly's response is going to be: Deny, Lie, Blame, and refuse. Trust me on this one.

#2171578 - 03/03/12 09:48 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: pd721el]
Widow maker 223 Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Northern IN
Wow . Whats the back of the carrier look like. Might have to lap it. You can get a plastic pad to go on the buffer face to help. That upper to lower fit is terrible.

#2171582 - 03/03/12 09:54 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
skinney Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: Hail Caesar

Oly's response is going to be: Deny, Lie, Blame, and refuse. Trust me on this one.

Olympic Arms will not treat you like this... they will take care of your problems..."if" your problems are legit, and not caused from careless abuse!!!
My UMAR upper and lower fit flawlessly together, no play involved, the buffer, mag and bolt have no such markings as yours, but I have only put about 50rds through mine.

They'll hear ya three times, see ya twice, but only smell ya once.

Play the Rabbit, and they will come.

#2171583 - 03/03/12 09:55 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Widow maker 223]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

OMG!!! Where were you guys at the other night when I made that post "Olympic Arms????" I said I heard some bad things about Oly Arms wanted to know if they were good or bad. Everybody said they were good, now this. I just paid for my 22-250 today. I went ahead and did my paperwork and paid for it so it would not get sold to someone else. Now Im freaking out that i just bought a POS!! Then I thought atleast it has a lifetime warranty, but now I am hearing there customer service sucks. God please tell me i didnt just throw 1600 down the drain

#2171586 - 03/03/12 09:56 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

Originally Posted By: cmil84
I hope that Oly Arms takes better care of you and your problems.

You and me both.

I e-mailed and talked to Andy on Friday March 2nd. Andy is Olympic Arms gun smith. He seems good to go. I am standing by to hear back from him via E-mail.

OLYMPIC ARMS INC.......
(1)“ Above and beyond our Lifetime Warranty we offer a Satisfaction Guarantee. If you are not satisfied with any Olympic Arms product for any reason you have the option to return the product to us within 60 days for a replacement, credit or full refund.” (The clock is ticking) I need help fast!

(2)"The first thing you'll probably notice about your Olympic Arms AR-15 is that it has a tight fit. At least tighter than what you are used to seeing in most other brand name products. The rear takedown pin may be tighter than usual. The charging handle, and bolt carrier fit a bit snug. When charging the rifle you feel a bit more resistance than you may be used to. The magazine well is sometimes tighter than most, in fact some aftermarket mags will show considerable resistance when installing in your lower. These are all common comments made by first time Olympic Arms owners. Keep in mind these are indications of superior quality in our manufacturing processes, resulting in a better over-all performance from your Olympic Arms product."

I hope he gets back to me soon- Real soon.

#2171591 - 03/03/12 10:01 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: skinney]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: skinney

Olympic Arms will not treat you like this... they will take care of your problems..."if" your problems are legit, and not caused from careless abuse!!!
My UMAR upper and lower fit flawlessly together, no play involved, the buffer, mag and bolt have no such markings as yours, but I have only put about 50rds through mine.

I have dealt with Oly for years. Unless their CS has changed recently....they have horrendous CS.

Ask other dealers that have dealt with Oly and see what they say. Most rank Oly the worst in the business. Most have a; "Oh you think Oly treated you bad on that one....top this...!!" stories.

Edited by Hail Caesar (03/03/12 10:09 PM)

#2171622 - 03/03/12 10:20 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: skinney]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

Originally Posted By: skinney

I hope your right. My problems are legit, and are not caused from careless abuse in any way shape or form.

My rifle only has 70 rounds through it.
25-Hornady 50 gr. V-max (holds the best 5 shot group.)
20-Fereral 55 gr. Hollow point
20-winchester supreme 55 gr. ballistic silvertip
5-Remington lead free 45gr. premier varmint (To help save the condor.)

BTW, I like your UMAR evaluation. You did a great job.

#2171637 - 03/03/12 10:34 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Widow maker 223]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

[quote=Widow maker 223] You can get a plastic pad to go on the buffer face to help.quote]

Thank you for the help with the plastic pad that is a good idea.

But It’s just not for me or any of my rifles.

To me that is like putting a Band-Aid on a sunken chest wound, when it comes down to $1600 I expect nothing but the top of the line quality that I paid for.

Again, Thank you for your helpful Idea, I just do not want to try to fix a problem that needs to be fixed correctly by Olympic arms.

#2171649 - 03/03/12 10:43 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: CSVCA Kevin
[quote=Widow maker 223] You can get a plastic pad to go on the buffer face to help.quote]

Thank you for the help with the plastic pad that is a good idea.

But It’s just not for me or any of my rifles.

To me that is like putting a Band-Aid on a sunken chest wound, when it comes down to $1600 I expect nothing but the top of the line quality that I paid for.

Again, Thank you for your helpful Idea, I just do not want to try to fix a problem that needs to be fixed correctly by Olympic arms.

Those are a Band Aid. And usually they end up tearing to pieces and tie up your gun.

#2171651 - 03/03/12 10:44 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
3DHUSKER Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: DownTheRoadFromKampKumbaya
I will say what I have said before. Do the research and make up your own mind about their CS and Product.
They are like any other company. They have a history that will tell you a lot.

#2171658 - 03/03/12 10:48 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
skinney Offline
Die Hard Member III

Fellas...
the only thing that doesn't make sense to me, is the gap between the upper and lower... NOW, if it were me personally I would have noticed that @ the get go (and wouldn't have taken one shot through the rifle before sending it back), and would of hoped the manufacturer would have noticed it before leaving the factory, this being said, I'm sure a few flaws get by when mass producing, which is why I'm sure Olympic will treat your right.

#2171663 - 03/03/12 10:52 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
howards Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Ill.
Thank you for saving me $1600.

Edited by howards (03/03/12 10:53 PM)

#2171666 - 03/03/12 10:55 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: skinney]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Here is one FFL taking about Oly;

Originally Posted By Banzai:

I USED TO SELL OLYMPICS.

I also stock Colts, BM, RRA, and AR.
Wanna know what the #1 most repaired AR15 in my shop is? OLYMPIC.
I don't sell them anymore.
Wanna know what the most repaired AR15 in my store is now? Still the OLYMPIC.
Wanna know what I've had to send Olys back for? You name it.
Wanna know how hard it is to get repair parts/replacement parts/financial reimbursement for shipping NEW guns back to OLY for warranty work as a gun dealer? IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!!

Several distributors have even stopped carrying Olympic rifles because of the high reject rate once they get to the dealers.

I've actually had OLY on the phone with a customer in my shop, and they have actually told the guy that there was nothing wrong, and if he shipped it back, they would not fix it. The rifle had a broken bolt. Sheared off 2 lugs, broke at the cam pin hole, and damaged the bolt carrier.

I fixed it, with BM parts that were available to me at the time. I sent the bill to OLY, never got a response. Sold the debt off to a collection agency, along with all the other repairs that I had to do on OLY guns. Now, if an OLY comes in for repair, I advise the individual that it will cost them an open ended amount and get them to sign the estimate before I'll even touch it.

SHOT show 2002 I took them a box of the parts that I had replaced from their guns that I could not get reimbursement for.

I'll guarntee I've owned/handled/shot more OLYs since 1999 than you ever will, unless you work at Oly or a gun store.

There is, at best 15% profit in retail guns. Olys eat up my 15% on repair parts/shipping/gunsmith time almost as soon as they get unpacked. No more!

Now, about their issues, still "Pretty sure they have been resolved by now" ?????

Or is my post worthless, too?

Tom <a

#2171668 - 03/03/12 10:56 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

And another;

WEeused to be a Oly dealer used to be the operative word

We had to send probably 25% of the cast plinkers we sold back for repair and probably 10% of the regular Olys

had about the same luck with DPMS

probably sold about 50 plinkers

The failure rate of the other better ( A ,B ,C ,RRA) brands is probably about 1% in my experence

#2171669 - 03/03/12 10:57 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: howards]
Widow maker 223 Offline

I agree it is a band aid and id send it back. Asap. That is crap that it slipped by but i bet they are having orders thrown at them for this weapon. It happens and it sucks that it happeed to you. Hope they take care of you

#2171670 - 03/03/12 10:59 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

Can you show a pic of the back of the carrier where it is contacting the buffer. I think I know the problem.

I think that the gap between the upper and lower receivers is causing the problem. When I put the two receivers together, there is a gap in between the bolt carrier and the buffer.

Think of it like this. Your shoulder is the buffer and the rifle is the bolt carrier.
Now, Hold the rifle to your shoulder and fire your rifle, your shoulder will move with the recoil. Now hold your rifle 1/2" off of your shoulder and you get hit and it will hurt, Causing damage.

#2171672 - 03/03/12 11:01 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
Widow maker 223 Offline

Ithink you are right. The back of the carrier looks fine.

#2171677 - 03/03/12 11:08 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: howards]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

Please do not change your mind based on what I am experiencing with my rifle, I really like my rifle. I just want it to be 100%. They are awesome. Mine just happens to have problems, if my problems get fixed I will be happy and I know a few of the CSVCA members will be buying one depending on how the customer service turns out.

#2171678 - 03/03/12 11:10 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
jimmyg75 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Minnesota
Boy if you send oly the pics you posted on here I would say they definately should feel obligated too take care of you, I think you got a major lemon I would want a whole new rifle or my money back. Cant wait too here how this plays out keep us posted, good luck hope it works out for you.

#2171680 - 03/03/12 11:11 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

I think that the gap between the upper and lower receivers is causing the problem. When I put the two receivers together, there is a gap in between the bolt carrier and the buffer.

Think of it like this. Your shoulder is the buffer and the rifle is the bolt carrier.
Now, Hold the rifle to your shoulder and fire your rifle, your shoulder will move with the recoil. Now hold your rifle 1/2" off of your shoulder and you get hit and it will hurt, Causing damage.

I knew it was one of two things, and the gap it causing it. The carrier is free recoiling against the buffer. The buffer will not last long.

The only way to fix that gun is to chop saw it to pieces and get another one.

AL

#2171685 - 03/03/12 11:19 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Widow maker 223]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Another goodie;

I used to live in Olympia WA, and after calling Oly Arms, drove out to check out their facility.

When I got there, a few things became rather clear.

1) Their "factory" looked like the set of Sanford & Son. (Absolutely NOT kidding) Junk laying around everywhere, I actually thought I was at a junkyard. The inside was not much better. I saw them stacking guns on the floor. Just stacking them into a pile after they assembled them. It looked like something you would see the Soviets do with an AK during wartime. The assembly line workers were kids. Well, not children..but they looked like teenagers that should be working at McDonald's. I couldn't believe it, what dump.

2) Despite being told "Sure, come on down!" on the phone, when I got there, I was dealt with like I was Diane Feinstein by EVERYONE. One guy was pleasant and answered my questions...so not a total disaster, but the rest were pricks in general.

3) There was nothing and I mean NOTHING about their "facility" that looked suitable for manufacturing dog toys, let alone firearms.

If you never get a 2nd chance to make 1st impressions, Oly lost me COMPLETELY with that one.

#2171686 - 03/03/12 11:22 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

And another ( the last). I hope you are getting the picture.

I've had nothing but problems with my Oly lower, that jerk blamed the magazines even though my cast Oly lower was so out of spec that the back of an inserted magazine hits the bolt and keeps the bolt from closing. This was after trying about 30 different magazines at a gun show. None of them worked. Tom called me lazy since I was unwilling to modify all of the magazines I own rather than asking for an RMA #. I modified a couple of magazines anyway, but while shooting they'd still work their way upward to block the bolt. I've had that piece of junk for over five years, and I have never gotten anywhere towards getting them to honor their warranty. They just don't give a [beeep].

#2171712 - 03/04/12 12:01 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
Globemaster Offline

Loc: The Evergreen State
give it a rest, or take it to Arfcom® … they live that that type of nonsense!

#2171720 - 03/04/12 12:23 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Globemaster]
3DHUSKER Offline
Die Hard Member II

Lots of good company's out there with good track records to spend your money with, I suggest using them.

#2171721 - 03/04/12 12:23 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Globemaster]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Arfcom....never even look at that place.

I have real experience with Oly, most is not good. Some is horrific. The only thing they seem to do right is their Ultra Match barrels, they are very, very good barrels.

Have you dealt with Oly for over a decade? Selling and servicing? I have.

I won't touch one with a ten foot pole anymore. Nor will most dealers that like their customers.

#2171723 - 03/04/12 12:27 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Globemaster]
dway Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: .
I will never own an Oly or many other brands that are popular with guys on here. The problem with threads asking is (fill in the blank) reliable,quality,good to go.... Is that when you tell the person about problems you have had or have seen, you will have 20 people tell you that you don't know what you are talking about or you are an elitist . You really need to research brands on other sites, not just this one.

#2171730 - 03/04/12 12:43 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
Globemaster Offline

I won't touch one with a ten foot pole anymore. Nor will most dealers that like their customers.

fine, then just stay on topic, and cease with the Google’d hearsay, and insignificant ‘Cast Lower’ stories … it’s old news already!

#2171735 - 03/04/12 12:50 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Globemaster]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

A I actually know one of those guys, he is a man of honor.

I can tell you FIRST hand things I have seen and hear also. Problems I have personally dealt with, times I have HAD to call Oly. I could tell you out of all the brands I have dealt with, Oly had the most problems by far and the worst Customer Service by a long shot. (Well not as bad as Ceiner).

These things are still going on today.

GlobeMaster, what is your experience with Oly?

I wish the OP well, I'll pray for you.

Al

Edited by Hail Caesar (03/04/12 12:54 AM)

#2171740 - 03/04/12 01:10 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
jrar15 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Missouri

A hater is gonna hate. Lay off Olympic. Shot many Colts with gaps in between receivers. They rattled like crazy but ran forever.

#2171745 - 03/04/12 01:19 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: jrar15]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: jrar15

A hater is gonna hate. Lay off Olympic. Shot many Colts with gaps in between receivers. They rattled like crazy but ran forever.

I actually addressed that.
"Truthfully upper and lower fit is not important to accuracy unless you are shooting in the Olympics."

It appears that there is too much a gap in this one and the carrier is free to slam into the buffer face. With the pressure of a 22-250 that must be a heck of a wallop. I only seen one gun do this and that was a .308, and the buffer came apart, but not before it ate 3 buffer retainers.

BTW..did you see the tooling marks in that buffer face?? WOW.

The other issue appears to be a leak in the gas system. And the key is chipping.

And all the company has offered so far is "It's fine, it's your fault."

#2171747 - 03/04/12 01:27 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
Globemaster Offline

I actually know one of those guys, he is a man of honor.

no one is questioning that; just stay on the ‘current’ topic at hand …

I can tell you FIRST hand things I have seen and hear also. Problems I have personally dealt with, times I have HAD to call Oly. I could tell you out of all the brands I have dealt with, Oly had the most problems by far and the worst Customer Service by a long shot.

fine, then start your own ‘Rant’ thread; as that 'garbage' (trash-talk) has no place, or any added value here …

These things are still going on today.

I’m sure they are …

GlobeMaster, what is your experience with Oly?

I’ve owned a few of them for over six years now; most were built by Dtech, and I’ve never had any of these issues, with any of them …

#2171748 - 03/04/12 01:30 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
jrar15 Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Missouri
Just trying to figure out why you continue to deal with them if you feel they are so "horrendous". I wouldn't take the time to tour the factory or have more than one story on how terrible they were if I had a bad experience.

#2171753 - 03/04/12 01:48 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: jrar15]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: jrar15
Just trying to figure out why you continue to deal with them if you feel they are so "horrendous". I wouldn't take the time to tour the factory or have more than one story on how terrible they were if I had a bad experience.

I don't. I refuse to sell or buy Oly's. No way I am sticking it to others and I refuse to be stuck with one. I still try and fix the ones that people bring by that are bad.

Some dealers have done the same. Some LOVE Oly. They sell them (Oly has a great profit margin) and buy them back dirt cheap when they have issues. Then turn around and sell the same gun to someone else (more profit). Then the gun is returned they buy it back dirt cheap. (Repeat, repeat, repeat) One shop is notorious for this, they love Oly and push the heck out of them.

Of course not all are bad, not at all. Some are good guns. Just OLY has horrible quality control and some are very bad. You can't just go buy one and say it is the best gun ever, or the worst. Because with your one gun (or two) you have a sampling of one or two. I am sure their is one guy out their still driving a Yugo with over a million miles. No way you could convince that guy Yugo's are crapola.
But when you get into selling 10,20,30,40..or more of these guns you really start to see a pattern (whether good or bad).

The good about OLY; When you get a UltraMatch barrel gun that works it works fine and is VERY accurate. When you get a bad one....you have a nightmare.

OP,
Enough. I have had it. I REALLY hope they sort things out. If they are really offering refunds now (they used to refuse them) TAKE IT. If nothing else, see if they will replace with a new one (they used to refuse this too) as that gun is a basket case.
I think by your phone call to them that you know in your heart were this will end up.

#2171760 - 03/04/12 02:06 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
Vapor Offline

Loc: TX
Wow, more bashing of a paying sponsor? Just another reason I love this place. I've been a reader for years, finally sign up and all of a sudden, its open season on sponsors?
Glad my dime isn't tied to this nonsense

#2171761 - 03/04/12 02:12 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: jrar15]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

Gentlemen,
I understand that some of have experienced bad customer with Olympic Arms in the past. I can appreciate how upset you are with them for not handling your rifle issues the way that they should have. I hope that things have changed since the last time you have dealt with them. I am going to remain positive until I have a reason not to. I would like to give them a chance to hold true to their warranty and satisfaction guarantee.

#2171781 - 03/04/12 06:57 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Vapor]
Twistrate Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Peoria Co., IL
Originally Posted By: Vapor
Wow, more bashing of a paying sponsor? Just another reason I love this place. I've been a reader for years, finally sign up and all of a sudden, its open season on sponsors?

You would rather they purchase opinion and reviews? You don't want the truth?

This is why we STAY here.

#2171787 - 03/04/12 07:47 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Widow maker 223]
Yote Yoda USMC Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Big Blue Nation KY
I was really wanting a 22 250 in the AR platform. After reading all this I am not placing my order with them next week. I was just getting ready to order one and now I will just wait and look around for another brand. Thanks to all you for saving me 1600.

#2171795 - 03/04/12 07:59 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Vapor]
mtnkid85 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Montana

Thats the way it should be. If there is a legit problem, let it be known. Just because they "pay" doesnt mean they should be free of criticism.

Im sure if they fix it the problems, we will hear about that too.

Edited by mtnkid85 (03/04/12 08:00 AM)
Kilt:

#2171804 - 03/04/12 08:27 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: mtnkid85]
jimmyg75 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: mtnkid85

Thats the way it should be. If there is a legit problem, let it be known. Just because they "pay" doesnt mean they should be free of criticism.

Im sure if they fix it the problems, we will hear about that too.

totally agree

#2171807 - 03/04/12 08:30 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: jimmyg75]
Cotton243 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Oklahoma
Agree regardless of manufacturer, if you buy something you expect it to work or that they provide customer service to address the issues.

#2171973 - 03/04/12 11:34 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Vapor]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
I've been a reader for years, finally sign up and all of a sudden, its open season on sponsors?

Yep, it's all your fault. If you hadn't signed up this never would of happened! WTG man.

#2172057 - 03/04/12 01:30 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Yote Yoda USMC]
bearmanric Offline
PM Sponsor/Custom Call Maker

Loc: Tenino,WA
I live in Olmpia. Olympic arms is nothin g like you said. I just won Olympic Arms 243WSM at the predatormasters hunt. Now i'm thinking of selling geting nervous hereing this stuff. Rick

#2172060 - 03/04/12 01:39 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Yote Yoda USMC]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

Originally Posted By: Yote Yoda USMC
I was really wanting a 22 250 in the AR platform. After reading all this I am not placing my order with them next week. I was just getting ready to order one and now I will just wait and look around for another brand. Thanks to all you for saving me 1600.

SEMPER FI to you Yote Yoda USMC

Originally Posted By: bearmanric
I live in Olmpia. Olympic arms is nothin g like you said. I just won Olympic Arms 243WSM at the predatormasters hunt. Now i'm thinking of selling geting nervous hereing this stuff. Rick

Please do not change your mind based on what I am experiencing with my rifle, I really like my rifle. I just want it to be 100%. They are awesome. Mine just happens to have problems, if my problems get fixed I will be happy and I know a few of the CSVCA members will be buying one depending on how the customer service turns out. I would like to give them a chance to hold true to their warranty and satisfaction guarantee.

Edited by CSVCA Kevin (03/04/12 01:50 PM)

#2172068 - 03/04/12 01:47 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Loc: west michigan

SKEPTICAL HIPPO!! What Would Doggin Coyotes Do???????????

Doggin says Hi!!!

#2172078 - 03/04/12 01:59 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Twistrate]
tactical assault Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Twistrate

This is wisdom. If they are paying they are also watching. So why is no one speaking up. When is the last time you saw someone express a problem with their FoxPro call and someone from FoxPro told them not to send it back. Olympic Arms has been plagued with problems for years. "Hail Caesar" is not the only one that has had a problem with them. Olympic Arms guns are on our "you can not use" list at the office due to the problems that we have had with them.

#2172080 - 03/04/12 02:00 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
Matt1953 Offline

Loc: Alamogordo, New Mexico
Well I don't own one but my friend and hunting partner has one.
He sent it back to them a couple of days after he got it. He sent it back 2nd day air @$125.00. It took right at a month for him to get it back. One of their excuses was they didn't have any ammo to test fire it. That was two and three weeks into it while in their hands. He sent it back for major issues.I know only because I have been with him from the first shot ever fired from it. We didn't get 20 rounds fired before we started having issues. They rebarreled it and to be honest it is better but not what I would say anywhere close to getting what he paid for.
I'm hoping he will explain the issues he has had.
I don't own any of thir products and never will due to how he was treated.

#2172088 - 03/04/12 02:08 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: bearmanric]
CastleRocker Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Castle Rock, WA
If you really feel the need to sell it Rick, PLEASE send me a PM and I'll come up and get it!

As soon as Oly gets the magazines prices down on this UMAR, I'll be buying (at least) one. Both my DTech uppers will benefit from the longer 22-250 mags. Then I'll be able to seat that 123gr. Amax bullet out there where it belongs.

Personal experience; I had an Oly AR back in the '80's that was not a good rifle. I know there are some folks who just can't let the "cast" upper/lower thing die, but that's their choice. A friend of my Dad's still thinks, "Them Toyota trucks are pieces of (edit)"! He still says that, every time the subject comes up, because the first boatload of them that came to Portland were mostly hauled to Shnitzer Steel and sold for scrap because they couldn't get them to run long enough to get them off the ship. He's one of those folks that go off his first impressions... forever. I'm sorry for those who are haters, but they are entitled to their own opinion. I'm very happy with my Toyota truck, and very happy with the Oly rifles I currently own. They work both work well for me.

In addition, my Dad still believes the M-16/AR-15 is by far the worst rifle ever invented due to the problems he personally encountered with them in the early to mid '60's. I'll never be able to change his mind on that one either. He's never gone into detail, but has said that a lot of good men died needlessly due to the shortcomings and malfunctions with that first model M-16. He doesn't own any Colt products due to that. Once again, I respect that opinion, but I also believe that Colt has worked out the bugs since then.

Looking forward to hearing how this works out for you. I'll probably still order one regardless, but I'll still watch this thread.

Thanks for the info, good luck, and good shooting to you!

#2172096 - 03/04/12 02:23 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CastleRocker]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Kevin,

Check your PM's.

Al

#2172116 - 03/04/12 03:07 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: tactical assault]
3DHUSKER Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: tactical assault
Originally Posted By: Twistrate

This is wisdom. If they are paying they are also watching. So why is no one speaking up. When is the last time you saw someone express a problem with their FoxPro call and someone from FoxPro told them not to send it back. Olympic Arms has been plagued with problems for years. "Hail Caesar" is not the only one that has had a problem with them. Olympic Arms guns are on our "you can not use" list at the office due to the problems that we have had with them.

Oly arms is non existent on this forum other than when they want to plug something. I have had emailed them questions and posted in their own thread on this site and they don't answer them.

When they popped in here announcing the UMAR a vendor said he was looking into carrying them. He does not carry them. I imagine he didn't want his reputation tied to theirs. Hum..

They have a total of 17 posts.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...5594&page=5

See for yourself how the customer service is. I myself have been waiting on answers in that thread. Really I don't care if I ever get them but my point has been made.

#2172139 - 03/04/12 03:39 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: 3DHUSKER]
tactical assault Offline
Die Hard Member II

You would think that if you sponsored a site with 40,000 members you would take a peek once a week. Ooooo there I go again using common sense.

#2172172 - 03/04/12 04:22 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: tactical assault]
bearmanric Offline
PM Sponsor/Custom Call Maker

Loc: Tenino,WA
I'm keeping the 243WSM just joking with all the negative stuff. Will have to go down to Olympic Arms pick up a few things. Rick

#2172973 - 03/05/12 11:56 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: bearmanric]
Kingzero Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Crack Town, AZ
I have an Oly Arms rifle that I am very happy with. It has run flawlessly since I bought it. After I got it I had a few questions so I PM'd Olympic through this site and got my answer in a couple hours. I have also e-mailed them a couple more times regarding the bore size of the gas block and the thread size of the barrel nut. They were quick to respond both times.

I would not hesitate to buy another Oly Arms. I am looking to buy an AR10 in a little and if they offered one I would buy it.

I do however think they dropped the ball on the OP's UMAR. I hope they honor their warranty and resolve the issues with that rifle. Even the best quality control programs are only as good as the employees implementing them. I am curious to see what unfolds, and wish the OP luck.

-Zero.

-Thomas Jefferson

#2173199 - 03/05/12 03:44 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Matt1953]
toro2269 Offline

Loc: alamogordo nm
I am 1953 hunting partner. My gun to group at all. I havent noticed any damage to the rifle since I got it back with the new barrel. Had hoped it would be a shooter like Skinny's but no luck so far. Thanks for the load info. I have to say that I have left several massages for Andy at Oly Arms. With no responce. Not going to bash the whole company, but if I was running it I would probably have some test firing ammo around. I am to the point with my rifle that I am thinking of tearing it down and putting it back together. Loose barrel, over torged something or other. I have no idea, and the GUNSMITH doesnt return phone calls.

#2173228 - 03/05/12 04:08 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: toro2269]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

Well at least Im not the only one that has has that problem.

Thank you for the heads up.

#2173307 - 03/05/12 05:30 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: toro2269]
skinney Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: toro2269
I am 1953 hunting partner. My gun to group at all. I havent noticed any damage to the rifle since I got it back with the new barrel. Had hoped it would be a shooter like Skinny's but no luck so far. Thanks for the load info. I have to say that I have left several massages for Andy at Oly Arms. With no responce. Not going to bash the whole company, but if I was running it I would probably have some test firing ammo around. I am to the point with my rifle that I am thinking of tearing it down and putting it back together. Loose barrel, over torged something or other. I have no idea, and the GUNSMITH doesnt return phone calls.

if you weren't so far away, I would consider taking a look @ yours, if the barrel is loose, I could simply vise it up and torque the barrel nut down... I'll measure my COAL and the length to the lands so you can tweak your load as needed.

#2173341 - 03/05/12 05:54 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: skinney]
toro2269 Offline

Thanks Skinney, I dont want to throw any one under the bus but it is very frustrating to pay that kind of money for somehting that is so unreliable. I am happy that they sponsor this sport we all love so much. But I dont want anyone else having the problems I do. I noticed that Skinney's is number 123 what is your Kevin. Mine is number 11. Andy had told me that it was a chamber problem with mine the first time. I am wondering if they have made more changes since then. The only thing I ask is for them to make it right. If they can got someone that can shoot a 1" group with it at 100yards. I would be satisfided. I can shoot 3 shot group you can cover with a dime. And the next three you couldn't cover them with another target. Very wild. Just want everyone to know that 1953 and I are trying everything in our knowledge bank. If you have any suggestions I am open. I dont feel like sending it back agian. Unless I talked to Andy and he said "Oh yeah I know just what it is. We can have it back in a week or two. Not months.

#2173488 - 03/05/12 07:50 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: toro2269]
Matt1953 Offline

toro2269 I hope someone here could tell us why the first fire case is pretty clean and the next 2,3,4,5 ect are so dirty and sticky. I mean they are really dirty. As another said when it ejects a fired case there are times it seems like it just falls straight down and other times has enough power to make it off the bench.

#2173520 - 03/05/12 08:15 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Matt1953]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: 1953
toro2269 I hope someone here could tell us why the first fire case is pretty clean and the next 2,3,4,5 ect are so dirty and sticky. I mean they are really dirty. As another said when it ejects a fired case there are times it seems like it just falls straight down and other times has enough power to make it off the bench.

Whoa.... sounds like you have an out of spec chamber. You need to have that thing looked at by a REAL gunsmith before something bad happens.

I can't look at it and diagnose over the darn computer, but it sounds like that COULD be an issue. If that could possibly be an issue....HAVE IT LOOKED AT IMMEDIATELY. DON'T shoot it any more.

If it ain't that, I am sorry. But I'd rather be safe and tell you this than hear your missing fingers and a eyeball or two.

#2173539 - 03/05/12 08:27 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
shanedogg Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: arizona
I'm neutral in this fore i have never owned, fired an oly....i have however heard a horror story from a co-worker, but what suprises me is that in 4 pages, there is no responce from olympic!!! thats a first on this site....if theres a prob w/ a sponsers product they answer pretty quik.....from what ive noticed.....

#2173802 - 03/05/12 11:19 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Widow maker 223]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Edited by cmil84 (03/07/12 10:35 AM)

#2173816 - 03/05/12 11:24 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: shanedogg]
toro2269 Offline

Funny thing is if i let it cool completely. No cleaning. The first one is always clean and in the same spot. After that your guess is as good as mine. I was told that a semi auto case is not going to stsy as clean as a bolt gun. And i agree to apoint. Some stresking or light powder mark. First shot on a cold, clean or dirty barrel looks like it came out of box. After that they are just gross at the range i have a hard time picking up out of the brass thats been there for years. Thanks for the help guys. I just dont anyone that works on ar here.

#2174322 - 03/06/12 04:18 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Widow maker 223]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Ok guys so I emailed Oly Arms about all this and tried to figure out what kind of people they are. The thing is after this guy told me he had never heard of this guys problem before i highlighted his post and emailed it to him. I dont know but it seemed like it pissed him off because he sent me this email that seemed hatefull. I will post both emails up here so you guys can read them.

Edited by cmil84 (03/06/12 04:31 PM)

#2174323 - 03/06/12 04:19 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Ok so apparently I just read the legal notice in small print under the email telling me that it is illegal to share the email with you guys. So I guess i will leave this dog lie. Basicaly he talked about how long Oly Arms has been in buisness and how great of a company they are. He said he had never heard of the problems OP was having. So i highlighted his post and emailed it to him. He responded kind of crappy basically saying I was lieing. Said it was intresting because he recieved the same email from a diffrent person word for word and that if i had any more questions i should call CS. I sent him an email back telling him I was not trying to get him all worked up but as a paying customer I had concerns. I figured he should be concerned because they could be loosing a but load of customers. I doubt he responds to me now because he thinks im some kind of scammer or something. I was going to post what he said but like i said i read that little clause that said that was illegal.

Edited by cmil84 (03/06/12 04:38 PM)

#2174345 - 03/06/12 04:42 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

I will let you guys know how mine is when I recieve it this week. Hopefully its all good or you might see a UMAR in the classafides

#2174536 - 03/06/12 08:19 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
Kingzero Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Crack Town, AZ
I will let you guys know how mine is when I recieve it this week. Hopefully its all good or you might see a UMAR in the classafides

Please do, I am curious to see the quality of yours compared to the OP's. Good luck.

-Thomas Jefferson

#2175320 - 03/07/12 06:02 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
32tigguy32 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: SW Wa
I can't speak for their CS or warranty when it comes to how they'll deal with fit and function problems with their weapons, but I do know that their CS sucks round dangelly things in response to questions about something missing on a brand new weapon of theirs. I started emailing their "factory" and the website that's all about Oly Arms 2 years ago and am still waiting for an answer. I hope you end up getting a better response than you already got, Kevin. I'd like to see them step up and pay for shipping both ways and to fix each and every problem with your rifle. A brand spankin new UMAR and an apology wouldn't be out of the question either. I don't live all that far from their "factory" and could drive to their front door to have mine fixed, but it's funny how they haven't/won't acknowledge my emails and now are blaming another customer for another one of their screw-ups. Keep us updated Kevin because I won't have a buyer for mine if other folks read about this and how it wasn't resolved to your satisfaction.

#2175331 - 03/07/12 06:12 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: 32tigguy32]
xcrider Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Big Lake, Minnesota
I've used Oly Arms customer service once for a barrel link pin on my 1911 that broke. I called and spoke to CS, told them what broke and they promptly put the pin in the mail no charge. Granted a very cheap part but they took care of it.

#2175532 - 03/07/12 09:26 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
tactical assault Offline
Die Hard Member II

Ok so apparently I just read the legal notice in small print under the email telling me that it is illegal to share the email with you guys. So I guess i will leave this dog lie. Basicaly he talked about how long Oly Arms has been in buisness and how great of a company they are. He said he had never heard of the problems OP was having. So i highlighted his post and emailed it to him. He responded kind of crappy basically saying I was lieing. Said it was intresting because he recieved the same email from a diffrent person word for word and that if i had any more questions i should call CS. I sent him an email back telling him I was not trying to get him all worked up but as a paying customer I had concerns. I figured he should be concerned because they could be loosing a but load of customers. I doubt he responds to me now because he thinks im some kind of scammer or something. I was going to post what he said but like i said i read that little clause that said that was illegal.

That gives me a warm fuzzy. Anyone else!!!!

#2175631 - 03/07/12 10:43 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: tactical assault]
Mr Potato Head Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Indiana
Saying something is illegal doesn't make it illegal.

Did you sign a confidentiality agreement with this company? Telling the truth is NEVER illegal. It's not libel (written) if it's the truth. It's not slander (spoken) if it's the truth.

God Bless America!

#2175676 - 03/07/12 11:42 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Mr Potato Head]
filmit Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: utah
I think everyone needs to email Olympic Arms to let them know what a mass amount of business they stand to lose if they don't take care of the customer. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire, and the word out on Oly is not good.

#2175693 - 03/08/12 12:10 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: filmit]
3DHUSKER Offline
Die Hard Member II

Why, so they can delete them?

#2175758 - 03/08/12 06:24 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Mr Potato Head]
MO1 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: NH
Originally Posted By: Mr Potato Head
Saying something is illegal doesn't make it illegal.

Did you sign a confidentiality agreement with this company? Telling the truth is NEVER illegal. It's not libel (written) if it's the truth. It's not slander (spoken) if it's the truth.
Well said. A contract or agreement isn't something that you're subject to by another party - there has to be offer and acceptance for it to be valid. Tell the truth, speak your mind and for those who don't like it, tough.

"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it." ~Henry David Thoreau
"If politics is the answer then it must be a very stupid question" ~Anonymous

#2175781 - 03/08/12 07:55 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: filmit]
dway Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: filmit
I think everyone needs to email Olympic Arms to let them know what a mass amount of business they stand to lose if they don't take care of the customer. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire, and the word out on Oly is not good.

The word out on Oly hasn't been good for a long time, yet people continue to buy them. I have spoken up before telling people not to buy them and when I do, I am called an elitist and several people speak up saying how great they are and not to listen to me.

#2175796 - 03/08/12 08:08 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: dway]
tactical assault Offline
Die Hard Member II

During the 94 AWB Olympic was known to have the cheapest stuff (price wise)(no pun intended). Just like everything else, there are always someone new getting into the AR game. When most people jump in they start with " what is the cheapest stuff (price wise) out there?" That is where Olympic has the upper hand, still being known as the company with the best prices. It is no long the case, but it appears to still be working for them. God bless the impulse buy.

#2175855 - 03/08/12 09:38 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: tactical assault]
Gregtex Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Lubbock, TX USA
Kevin, I am sorry to see all of your problems with your new AR. I am a 22-250 fan and wanted one of these. Did you show these pictures to Olympic Arms before you posted them here?

#2176010 - 03/08/12 12:20 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Gregtex]
Howa4AU Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Alabama
Or you can get sales by being in a niche that no one else is filling. You really can't go anywhere else to get an AR in a WSSM caliber or a 22-250, or a UMAR lower that allows these calibers to run a longer COL. That is probably where the majority of their sales are coming from being the only game in town with some products that a lot of us desire to have.

I know Dtech and ASI have WSSM's, but they are licensed by Oly and most of their parts are coming from them, at least until Dtech went to Shilen barrels. I know I've seen Mike say he can't sell WSSM parts.

Not throwing Mike or Carl in with Oly as related to quality or CS at all- just saying Oly is getting sales through parts and UMAR lowers.

#2176176 - 03/08/12 04:44 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: dway]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: dway

The word out on Oly hasn't been good for a long time, yet people continue to buy them. I have spoken up before telling people not to buy them and when I do, I am called an elitist and several people speak up saying how great they are and not to listen to me.

I feel the same way.

Edited by Hail Caesar (03/08/12 04:46 PM)

#2176655 - 03/09/12 12:00 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Well I got my UMAR 22-250 today and so far I love it. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet but the looks and feel of this thing is awesome. I had a RRA elite operator stock put on it. Theres only two things I dont like right now and that is the trigger and the magazine. The trigger is stiff. I dont like how you cant load the magazine in the magazine well without chambering a round. Of course when I called my dealer and asked him if this was how it was suppose to be, He was a dick and told me that I was just looking for something to be wrong with it from everything I had heard on PM. He then told me he wasnt going to play these games with me and for me to just bring it back and he would give me a full refund. A part of me wants to and tell him to shove it up his [beeep]!!! The other part of me likes this rifle to much to return it because of some prick dealer!!!

#2176814 - 03/09/12 09:01 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
Take The Shot Offline

Loc: North Las Vegas, Nevada
If a dealer talked to me like that I would return the rifle and take him up on that full refund, tell him to shove it up his *** and never buy anything from that store again. Any dealer that would talk to a customer like that should be put out of business.

#2176846 - 03/09/12 09:33 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Well I got my UMAR 22-250 today and so far I love it. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet but the looks and feel of this thing is awesome. I had a RRA elite operator stock put on it. Theres only two things I dont like right now and that is the trigger and the magazine. The trigger is stiff. I dont like how you cant load the magazine in the magazine well without chambering a round. Of course when I called my dealer and asked him if this was how it was suppose to be, He was a dick and told me that I was just looking for something to be wrong with it from everything I had heard on PM. He then told me he wasnt going to play these games with me and for me to just bring it back and he would give me a full refund. A part of me wants to and tell him to shove it up his [beeep]!!! The other part of me likes this rifle to much to return it because of some prick dealer!!!

Which dealer is that???? PM me if you want.

Al

#2176861 - 03/09/12 09:45 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
Howa4AU Offline
Predator Master

Cmil84, go ahead and post his name here. If he acts like that not only does he deserve it, but he should expect it. Actions come with consequences and that applies to business as well as life.

We are a big group here and just like the NRA we should use it and never apologize for it.

#2176914 - 03/09/12 10:39 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Howa4AU]
compaq12 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: pa
I would of thought PM would sponsor only good reputable sponsors. Why subject members to crappy lower than average sponsors to make a $? I know of some sites that have standards when it comes to who they sponsor. If they sell crappy items and have a reputation of being out for the money only and bad CC, they do not get to advertise on their sites. I think PM should help their members and get rid of sponsors who fall short of taking care of their customers. Its also PM who gets a reputation not only the sponsor. It's like who you hang out with kinda.

Edited by compaq12 (03/09/12 10:42 AM)

#2177011 - 03/09/12 12:23 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: compaq12]
skinney Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: compaq12
If they sell crappy items and have a reputation of being out for the money only and bad CC, they do not get to advertise on their sites. I think PM should help their members and get rid of sponsors who fall short of taking care of their customers.

If a product is manufactured thats not up to par with the consumers/buyers needs or "wants" then that product will fail... its not up to Predator Masters to dictate who makes a good or crappy product... its the free market brother, if the demand is there and its a good product it will sell "if" not, people will find out...

#2177018 - 03/09/12 12:32 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: skinney]
Take The Shot Offline

This is why PM should have a "Bad Deal" thread for forum sponsors just like they do in the classifieds. It's only fair even if they are paying sponsors to prevent others from being swindled into junk products, poor customer service etc etc.

#2177067 - 03/09/12 01:45 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Take The Shot]
doggin coyotes Offline
PM Junkie

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Take The Shot
This is why PM should have a "Bad Deal" thread for forum sponsors just like they do in the classifieds. It's only fair even if they are paying sponsors to prevent others from being swindled into junk products, poor customer service etc etc.

I'm kinda thinking this thread could be considered it a "bad deal" thread.

#2177154 - 03/09/12 04:11 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: doggin coyotes]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotes

I'm kinda thinking this thread could be considered it a "bad deal" thread.

I'm with you doggin!!!

Doggin says Hi!!!

#2177389 - 03/09/12 09:28 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: catwhacker]
Howa4AU Offline
Predator Master

Agree with Skinney. It's not Predator Master's job to make recommendations or not on quality of its' sponsors. The free market will work- when work gets out, good or bad, it will have its effect. What this forum will do is we as individuals can help get that work out quicker and more efficiently to allow the free market to do its job and reward the good and cull the bad.

We come here to share our experiences and learn from others. Not to mention to enjoy the fellowship with individuals with our common love for guns and the outdoors. Put your experiences out there.

#2179427 - 03/12/12 01:29 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Howa4AU]
shermanrm Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: nevada
I don't understand-Why do you have to chamber a round to load the mag?

#2179431 - 03/12/12 01:45 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: shermanrm]
Vapor Offline

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: shermanrm
I don't understand-Why do you have to chamber a round to load the mag?

If this is true than the problem is in the bolt catch as you should be able to manually hold the bolt back, engage the bolt catch, insert the mag and NOT chamber a round, even if the mag isn't seating right.

#2180244 - 03/13/12 11:39 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Widow maker 223]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Ok guys I havent been on for a couple days so I will catch this up. I found out you do not have to chamber a round to load the mag. However you do need to have bullets in the mag to load it in the mag well. It seems like it has something to do with the follower. As if it sets to high when the mag is empty. If you put a round in the magazine it pushes it down far enough that it locks in. If you dont have a round in the magazine its as if the follower is stopping it from going all the in. Other than that So far I love my rifle hopefully I dont have any problems with it

#2181857 - 03/15/12 02:30 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
toro2269 Offline

I do not have this mag problem with mine I can put it in at anytime. Loaded or unloaded for travel. Its not like you want that thing floating around the truck at $100 each. You kick it our by accident it will mess up your whole day. And you cant just go to the local gun store to buy one. Anyway sorry to hear that hope you figure out whats wrong.

#2181865 - 03/15/12 02:39 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: toro2269]
toro2269 Offline

I just wanted to see were this ranked on Number of replies for a post. This tread is in the top ten. Of all time. It has struck a nerve with all of us both sides. I am going to email the gunsmith at Oly today and see what he recommends. If I have to return it. I will keep you all posted.

#2182164 - 03/15/12 09:26 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: toro2269]
tactical assault Offline
Die Hard Member II

#2182167 - 03/15/12 09:29 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: tactical assault]
shanedogg Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: arizona
awesome!!!

#2182179 - 03/15/12 09:41 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: shanedogg]
catwhacker Offline
Cusom Call Maker

Doggin says Hi!!!

#2182190 - 03/15/12 09:51 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: catwhacker]
tactical assault Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: catwhacker

I will trump your Hijack with .....

#2182289 - 03/15/12 11:37 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: tactical assault]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Hey toro2269 I dont know but I have talked to several people who have the UMAR 22-250 and theres does the same thing mine does. We cant load are mags in without atleast having one round in the mag. It doesnt have to be chambered it just needs to be in the mag. So maybe all of ours is messed up and you got the good one. I talked to a dealer who has 4 of them in his shop and all 4 of them are like that. Also PM member skinney his is also like that. I have a friend that has one and his is the same. Once he told me that I had to have rounds in the mag mine locked right in. So maybe we all have messed up guns. IDK??? Also tatical assault, whats your pic of? Its not loading on my computer. Just wondering if you had something good to show us.

#2182290 - 03/15/12 11:40 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Torro2269 I was also wondering why you said you might have to return yours? Did I miss something?? Are you having problems with yours??? Good luck on that email they dont tend to like to email back when its a problem

#2182293 - 03/15/12 11:50 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
Matt1953 Offline

Yes you are correct or return phone calls.
PM him if he doesn't see this. He would be glad to tell you his problems.

Edited by 1953 (03/16/12 12:10 PM)

#2182524 - 03/16/12 11:36 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Matt1953]
midwestpredator Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: nd

#2182525 - 03/16/12 11:37 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: midwestpredator]
midwestpredator Offline
Die Hard Member III

#2182529 - 03/16/12 11:46 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: midwestpredator]
Matt1953 Offline

Midwestpredator
You are correct on black and gummy cases. Thanks for that info. If you don't mine could you tell me what powder you are talking about.
Thanks

#2182751 - 03/16/12 07:03 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Matt1953]
Take The Shot Offline

Being told by the manufacture to take a file to a brand new gun is kinda crappy if you ask me. Sounds like a band-aid for a more serious problem due to the lack of test firing the weapons that they build or actually building a quality rifle that functions to begin with. I'm sure glad that I spent a little more money on a Daniel Defense for my coyote hunting and don't have any of these issues.

Edited by Take The Shot (03/16/12 07:03 PM)

#2182906 - 03/16/12 11:10 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Take The Shot]
dway Offline
Seasoned Member

Being told by the manufacture to take a file to a brand new gun is kinda crappy if you ask me. Sounds like a band-aid for a more serious problem due to the lack of test firing the weapons that they build or actually building a quality rifle that functions to begin with. I'm sure glad that I spent a little more money on a Daniel Defense for my coyote hunting and don't have any of these issues.

Great choice! Can't go wrong with a DD.

#2183662 - 03/18/12 06:59 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Vapor]
GregH Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Rome, Ga

Vapor,
The real problem here is perspective. If it were your rifle I would bet it would be you complaining instead of having a complacent attitude!
Think about tghat before you complain aout someone posting facts on a forum or, don't come here and listen.
I, like many appreciate knowing when a sponsor or anyone other company is not acting as it should!
Nuff said!
Greg

#2184473 - 03/19/12 11:53 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
toro2269 Offline

Check your pm

#2184477 - 03/19/12 12:02 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
toro2269 Offline

I have to say that Andy gsmith@olyarms.com has been very good about emailing.

#2185094 - 03/20/12 01:07 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: toro2269]
midwestpredator Offline
Die Hard Member III

alright sorry it took so long to get back here and post.

id like to clarify that oly didnt suggest that i file anything. Andy told me I can box it up and send it in but since i had a gun destroyed in shipping last yr im hesitant to ship them. instead i asked andy if a little filing would hurt anything and he told me not in that particular spot and that so long as i didnt jackhammer the thing there would be no issue with warranties later on if needed.

i wanted to post some pics but i cant seem to figure it out. any ideas???

#2185203 - 03/20/12 09:18 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: midwestpredator]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

midwestpredator mine came already filed down. Im going to try and post pics of it later tonight when i get home. so check back to see it. My only thing is if its that big of a problem where they have to file them down at the factory now before they ship them why not go to a different magazine? I would wait on filing it [beeep] until you see mine because its just a little filing and i wouldnt want you to mess up a $100. mag. The other problem i noticed on mine was when i shot it the other day I put about 40 rds through it. I would load three and do a shot group. My first round always came out ok but my next two brass casing would be dented in at the top of the neck. So now I dont know if i can get them reloaded. I have no idea what is causing it.

#2185272 - 03/20/12 10:53 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
midwestpredator Offline
Die Hard Member III

Ya I asked andy if they were doing then diff now cuz I saw a youtube video of one and it was already taken out. He replied that they have not switched anything about them.This is a very low serial number gun so im sure I got the early mag design.

I have already filed it down. And you are right it didn't require very much. I used a dremel and a small grinding wheel.

Please post pics. I also have some but can't get them loaded on here.

As far as the dented neck I am not sure what could cause that, are there any scoring marks or scratches along with the dent or just a clean dent with no signs of tooling marks?

Edited by midwestpredator (03/20/12 11:26 PM)

#2186879 - 03/22/12 02:24 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: midwestpredator]
shermanrm Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: nevada
Once I get in a position to order one this comes up.
Quess I'll wait until someone else realizes there is a market-I think alot of us are waiting!!

#2186949 - 03/22/12 04:31 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: shermanrm]
cmil84 Offline
Die Hard Member

Alright guys im getting ready to make a new thread with my range report on my UMAR 22-250. Its going to have lots of pics so stop by and check it out

#2195691 - 04/05/12 08:17 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: cmil84]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

UPDATE

Hello,

Sorry for taking such a long time to respond. I was advised to stop posting comments and updates until the troubles I was having with Olympic Arms were resolved, having said that I will update you on the situation at hand.

I was finally contacted by Olympic Arms. They offered to replace my defective with a new rifle. I declined their offer for a new rifle and I asked them to refund my money.

Beyond their products lacking quality control, I feel their company’s procedure and employee interaction policies put little or no emphasizes on being polite to the customer and resolving their issues simultaneously without a hassle. One of the biggest problems is that they refuse to listen to the customer’s wants & needs and do not want to be told to anything, especially by their customers.

I my opinion Olympic Arms needs to understand this is an aggressive market with countless manufactures selling AR-15’s, AR-15 related products and accessories, the only thing that will distinguish Olympic Arms from their competitors is how they take care of their customers. They need to make certain WE the customers are happy. A happy customer will come back and bring all of their friends. The customer’s experience interacting with and buying from Olympic Arms will determine if WE will become return customers and give others positive feedback in regards to the company and their product. A positive experience assures repeat customers. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising, if the word is good to go it can be an inexpensive way of getting business, nevertheless if the word is bad it will start spreading faster than bed bugs making it extremely difficult for these companies to retain their current customers and more expensive trying to acquire new potential customers.

How Olympic Arms treats their customers that are willing to give them their hard earned money for their products and services is very critical in this competitive AR-15 market. If they continue to be rude and deceiving to their customers and making them unhappy, they will end up running out of people to be rude and deceiving to. Additionally, each time they make a customer unhappy, their potential customer pool will decrease accordingly. As the potential customer pool decreases, the advertising cost per new customer will increase. No one is going to get anywhere with customer relations until they recognize that WE as customers are valued assets, not dumb milk cows for money.

Thank you all for your support and comments.

CSVCA Kevin.

Edited by CSVCA Kevin (04/05/12 08:25 PM)

#2195868 - 04/06/12 02:38 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
Take The Shot Offline

Amen. Customers are what keep a business alive and without people forking out money for a product that works as advertised & proper customer service, they would not have a business to run. Word of mouth is the best promotion for a business as well as being able to make it close it's doors so hopefully the people at Oly Arms take the constructive criticism and actually make the necessary changes to have a thriving business or else they will a distant memory while the competition leaves them in the dust.

For those of you new to the AR world looking to make your first purchase, the internet is your best friend for reviews so do extensive research before you decide to dive in on an expensive purchase only to be let down.

Edited by Take The Shot (04/06/12 02:39 AM)

#2195979 - 04/06/12 11:03 AM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Take The Shot]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

Did they refund your money??? Or did this just happen?

#2196297 - 04/06/12 09:31 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
tactical assault Offline
Die Hard Member II

We thinking the same thing!!!

#2196590 - 04/07/12 01:26 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: tactical assault]
CSVCA Kevin Offline
Predator Master

This just happened the day I posted the update. I am blessed to have received a full cash refund. I will tell you that it was not easy to obtain and the course of action was very time consuming. I am disappointed things turned out the way they did, I really like the idea of the UMAR 22-250 but I dislike the poor quality control and the appalling customer service.

Hail Caesar, you are 100% accurate on you posts about Olympic arms.

#2196592 - 04/07/12 01:31 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
tactical assault Offline
Die Hard Member II

Im glad to hear you got your money back. Now you have just enough for two more ARs!!! Just my 2 cents, but I would probably stay away from an Olympic rig....cound not help myself.

#2196642 - 04/07/12 03:34 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
Hail Caesar Offline
Seasoned Member

This just happened the day I posted the update. I am blessed to have received a full cash refund. I will tell you that it was not easy to obtain and the course of action was very time consuming. I am disappointed things turned out the way they did, I really like the idea of the UMAR 22-250 but I dislike the poor quality control and the appalling customer service.

Hail Caesar, you are 100% accurate on you posts about Olympic arms.

I am SOOOO HAPPY you got your money back. Good for you.

Partner, I didn't want to be "right" about Oly. It is just I've been there tooooooooo many times with them. I wasn't just out their Oly "bashing" for absolutely zero reason and trying to hurt anyone's feelings. It is just that Oly is notorious for this crappola.

But at least you were lucky and got your money back. thumbup

I bet it wasn't very simple....was it?

#2215489 - 05/10/12 03:27 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: Hail Caesar]
toro2269 Offline

I shot my umar 22-250 today for the first time in months. I am very pleased, three five shot groups all sub moa at 100 yds. I went back though my scope and re- mounted and made all the difference. Last set of five, first three were in the same hole. Wonderful day at the range. All my confidence in Olymipic Arms is restored.

#2215534 - 05/10/12 05:35 PM Re: New Olympic Arms UMAR 22-250 is having problems. Please help. [Re: CSVCA Kevin]
Matt1953 Offline

Good shooting Chris!!!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  SnowmanMo 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.