I think I got a problem

kevinkidd

I have a question and i hope i dont sound like a dummy but I am having a problem with my gun. I had 3 miss fires today at the range. What is happening is when I shoot a round the next shot when I pull the trigger it doesnt fire. When I eject the round the primer has been hit but nothing happened to the bullet. So I guess what im saying is after one shot the next round chambered already has the primer hit but the trigger wont pull and when I eject the shell the primer has already been hit. After thinking about it I was worried about what was happening. Any ideas?

I'm not sure why it's not firing the next round.

But the reason the round that doesn't fire has a dent in the primer is because of the floating firing pin that AR's have. The pin "floats" forward from inertia and lightly strikes the primer when it chambers the new round.

So the trigger doesn't even go click or anything huh. There will be some fellers along in a little bit that will know whats up.

Have you messed with the disconnect or hammer at all? If it were modified or damaged, the hammer would be following the bolt into battery and possibly cause what you are describing. Is this a new issue or has it always done this? How deep is the primer dented compared to a fired piece of brass? Sometimes the carrier and hammer can have off tolerances causing the carrier to not push the hammer down far enough. If you separate the upper from the lower after the first round fires, check to see if the hammer is up in the fired position. If the trigger won't pull after the first round, the issue probably lies with it. A little more info and/or pics would help.

This is a new rifle and today was the first time I shot the rifle. Havent taken anything apart. the dent on the primer doest seem as deep as a fired shell. just really confused

I would take it back and have them look at it. Not sure who built it or what parts were used, but I'm guessing something to do with hammer or disconnect.

From your description, Your first round is chambered via charging handle wich pulls your bolt completely back, setting your trigger and chambering your first round when released. This round will fire, but on the second chambered round via gas system you have nothing, no click or noticeable trigger function......If this matches whats happening to you, your problem lies in the gas system, check your tube for kinks, hole allignment. Check your gas block for propper allignment.

Regardless of your issue, stop shooting the weapon until the problem is fixed. The hammer riding the bolt carrier down is a good way to get your gun to shoot out of battery. This is bad. Remember the your upper is not hardened at all, just the bolt, barrel, and barrel extension. If your gun goes off out of battery there is not much to hold all the pressure. Good luck.

I agree with Vent O Later, but the problem might not be the rifle. If you are shooting "cheap" ammo, it could be under pressured. I had a friend with a new rifle that had the same issue. He was shooting some steel case, budget ammo and when we switched to a higher quality ammo, the problem went away. If you shoot it again, after you fire the first round check to see if the bolt carrier is all the way forward, if its not seated fully your rifle wont go off.

Originally Posted By: kevinkiddI have a question and i hope i dont sound like a dummy but I am having a problem with my gun. I had 3 miss fires today at the range. What is happening is when I shoot a round the next shot when I pull the trigger it doesnt fire. When I eject the round the primer has been hit but nothing happened to the bullet. So I guess what im saying is after one shot the next round chambered already has the primer hit but the trigger wont pull and when I eject the shell the primer has already been hit. After thinking about it I was worried about what was happening. Any ideas?

Looks like everybody above has covered the other issues so I will throw out a couple more.

Does the trigger move at all on the misfired round or does it feel "stuck"?

If it does move do you hear a "click"?

If it doesn't move at all make sure there is not anything laying in the bottom of the receiver, ie a primer. I had a spent primer that was in the bottom of my receiver and it would get under the front of the trigger and would not let it move. took me thirty minutes to figure out what was going on in the middle of a prairie dog town.

If you do hear a click then your bolt is probably not going in to battery all of the way in which case your chamber is dirty or you have out of spec brass.

Are you shooting reloads or factory?

Hope this helps
Aaron

Last edited:
I had the same exact thing happen, all I did was take the BCG apart and clean it, crud from factory in it would not let the pin float far enough forward Cleaned it and never had the problem again. mine was putting a dent in each primer also

Last edited:
make sure you have the butt stock firmly in youre shoulder. if you dont you wont get the bolt to full cycle.

i am shooting hornady steel match 55 gr. I can be in the middle of a clip and this will happen. When this happens there is the round before it happens fires fine then the very next one will load into the chamber but the trigger will not pull just like you emptied a clip, and the is closed

I would take it apart and clean the factory grease off of it. I too have seen a new rifle not fire or jam up due to the grease put in them. The factory grease is more for storing than for function in the rifle. Try taking it apart and cleaning it up good then oil her up. It can't hurt anything.

Quote:make sure you have the butt stock firmly in youre shoulder. if you dont you wont get the bolt to full cycle.

I've never found that to be the case with an AR. And if that's the only way one will function correctly I wouldn't own one.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesQuote:make sure you have the butt stock firmly in youre shoulder. if you dont you wont get the bolt to full cycle.

Good grief. That is some bogus advice right there..

He must have never bump fired a AR.

Check the gas block for tightness and or evidence of leaks. Check the gas key for tightness, evidence of leaks, and proper staking. Take a qtip with solvent and clean the hammer notch and sear of any crud or debris. Sounds most like a trigger problem but may be leaking gas somewhere too. My.02 TTT

I'd break the gun down and clean the chamber and bolt thoroughly. Something is keeping the bolt from going into battery. Crud in the chamebr may cause this, but most likely it's a dry bolt or a combo of dry bolt and crud on/in it. Sounds like you're getting enough gas to get full cycle and strip the next round. Pretty normal for a new gun if it's built at the tight end of tolerances and especially if you're running a dry bolt. Make sure you've got enought lube on the bolt that it appears wet (I prefer CLP, but any light oil will suffice).

What make is the AR? I wouldn't send it back until you've cleaned it up and tried running w/ more lube. I'd also try some brass cased ammo. The steel cased ammo has a laquer coating on it that sheds onto the chamber and can lead to stuck cases, at the very least attract more crud. Once you're weapon is broken in, probably not a big deal, but right now could be part of the issue.

Two recommendations, in order:

1) Field strip, clean and lube the gun. ARs like to be run 'wet' (well-lubed).

2) Try some different (brass cased) ammo.

If you're still experiencing the same problem, return it to an authorized warranty station.

Back