South dakota prairie dogs question?

thefleen

anyone ever hunted the pine ridge reservation in SD? we have a trip planned this spring so any information would be helpful.

Drove through there once, saw a lot of game, the people that live there look like they are living in the 3 world, saw Prarie dogs everywhere

I'm researching a SD prairie dog trip currently and was leaning toward an outfitter with private property because of some of the negative things I've heard about reservation hunting.

Does this reservation have the rule that you can't use lead bullets?

I've heard reservation hunting licenses are ridiculously expensive - is it the same for this one?

Is there any amount of public land available in SD with good numbers of PD's? I know they have plenty of public land, I'd just like to know if there is enough prairie dogs in it to make a trip worthwhile.

There are better places 2 go I hunted there twice will never go back the second time indians beat up my friend put him in hospital eastern SD is better we will go there this year the public land is hunted to hard

Last edited:
The Grass Land is always hit prety hard. They get wise quick to shooters. They still have an active poisoning program in SD also. Then there is the Plague. We have shot on a dog town on Grass Land that a Forest Service employe told us covered most of 1000 acres for the last three years with good results. When we got there last year there wasnt a Prairie Dog to be seen. The Plague wont get them all and in 5 years or so they will probably be shootable again. We always tried to avoid the Reservation. Seemed prety pricey and too much hastle. That being saied, we are going again this year and you can still heat up a barrel or two if you do your homework. Take snake boots and a pistol with shot shels.

I have shot on the Sioux River Tribe, its farther north. Nobody bothered us and had a good hunt. I have heard that they are not letting anybody on there, but that was hear say.

Plague stuff was about 4-5 years ago, unmolested places should be good again.

Rosebud requires no lead bullets last I heard. They do a piss poor job keeping up their website.

Their guide requirement is real, and even though the guides want to leave you by yourself, don't let them. It's a ticket for the hunter, not the guide. they have a guide list, and you should get references before arranging a guide.

Melette county to the north is riddled with Indian controlled lands too, by lease or by ceded deed. You need a plat map to check ownership.

HM

There was more plague through this area again this year and really put a whomping on the towns between highway 18 and 44 near Mission/White River. It's pretty easy to get along on the Rosebud if you mind your P's and Q's but there's trouble if you want to find it.

Originally Posted By: travjcThere was more plague through this area again this year and really put a whomping on the towns between highway 18 and 44 near Mission/White River. It's pretty easy to get along on the Rosebud if you mind your P's and Q's but there's trouble if you want to find it.

Leave the Budweiser at home too....
grin.gif

Just a note to those of you that are used to hunting the Grasslands. They have passed a law that driving is ONLY permitted on designated MARKED roads now. There is no more driving through the dog towns or driving too them if they are not along a MARKED road. Grasslands officials will ticket you. Also, the plague is a very real concern. I lost one of my favorite spots this year to the plague, lots of dogs there this summer and NONE a couple weeks ago. Do a little research so you don't waste your money driving over.

Back