Front sight and free float tube?

Bluetickstyle

I have a colt match target its a flattop upper but has a fixed front sight, I'm wanting to take the front sight off so it doesn't interfere with my scope and was wanting to add a free float tube or something with a sling mount for my bipod......I've never pulled the front sight off and was wondering is there any precautions to take? And what about replacing the front handguard?

Blue.

I did the same thing,but instead of buying the tool's and everything.I found a guy posted on a board a the sporting good store,He put the trigger in and the yhm float guard,and only cost $25.00 and bought no tools!!

Well, I would say you should try the scope first.
I have built a couple, the front sight post never interfered with the sight picture, when actually looking through it.

At the bottom of the sight there is a pin you need to punch-out. Then slide it off the end of the barrel. You will probably need to remove the flash hider as well.

A free float handguard replaces the plastic stock pieces. You will also need to remove the delta ring, and get the correct barrel nut for the free-float tube.

Try your scope ,3 power and above and I can't see the front sight post. In reference to the bipod mount. Harris along with several other companies make a mount that goes in one of the vent holes in your current handguard. This would be the cheapest way.

If you want to remove the front sight post, it is staked on with two tapered pins. You can knock them out with a punch. After they are removed the front sight post can be slid off with the gas tube still attached. You with also have to remove the muzzle break. After this is complete, you will need a armor wrench to take the barrel nut off. After that is done you will have to replace the barrel nut with a new one so your free float tube can be screwed on. You will need to torque the new barrel nut to 30 foot pounds. Then screw on the new ff tube and replace the front sight post. You will have to knock the roll pin out of the old front sight post to get the gas tube out and put in a new low profile gas block. Reattach the new gas block and reattach the muzzle break.
There you go. Good luck.

What's a good place to get a low profile gas block,barrel nut and free float handguard? Thanks for the help it seems simple enough just wanted to ask before I jumped into it.

If you don't plan to use the sight anymore, you could have the posts cut off and grind it smooth. Then you don't have to buy another gas block. I've see this done before and if it is done right, it's hard to tell the gas block ever had a post on it.

Originally Posted By: tactical assaultTry your scope ,3 power and above and I can't see the front sight post. In reference to the bipod mount. Harris along with several other companies make a mount that goes in one of the vent holes in your current handguard. This would be the cheapest way.

If you want to remove the front sight post, it is staked on with two tapered pins. You can knock them out with a punch. After they are removed the front sight post can be slid off with the gas tube still attached. You with also have to remove the muzzle break. After this is complete, you will need a armor wrench to take the barrel nut off. After that is done you will have to replace the barrel nut with a new one so your free float tube can be screwed on. You will need to torque the new barrel nut to 30 foot pounds. Then screw on the new ff tube and replace the front sight post. You will have to knock the roll pin out of the old front sight post to get the gas tube out and put in a new low profile gas block. Reattach the new gas block and reattach the muzzle break.
There you go. Good luck.

What he said. Most of the big supply shops (midway, ctd) sell AR parts too but joebobs does have very good service. ar15outfitters has some too.

Originally Posted By: BluetickstyleWhat's a good place to get a low profile gas block,barrel nut and free float handguard? Thanks for the help it seems simple enough just wanted to ask before I jumped into it.

I have a 4 rail carbine length free float handguard and barrel nut that I was going to put in the classified section later tonight. I'm asking 70 bucks shipped. PM me for pics if you are interested.

Back