Twist rate .222 v .223 Savage 25

Greg_Meyer

I am looking at a Savage 25 LWT-V as a gift for my son. I am always partial to the .222 (sentimental) but was considering the .223 for my son. Anyway, the Savage website lists the .222 at 1 in 14 and the .223 at 1 in 9. Any reason for me to be concerned about that twist rate in the .223. I assume the faster rate is the result of some of the available factory loads in the .223 (heavier bullets).

Last edited:
I have shot 40 gr. bullets out of my 1 in 9 twist Savage BVSS with excellent results 3/8s groups when I do my part. So I would say you will be fine.

9 twist in a 223 should be fine for the average Joe, but, you're obviously aware that the 222's got more "Soul".
wink.gif

Get the 222. It's nice to see the Deuce getting some love (even if it is from Savage
smile.gif
). Who knows how long they'll continue, or if any others ever will chamber it again.
JMO
Luck

Originally Posted By: RePeteGet the 222. It's nice to see the Deuce getting some love (even if it is from Savage ). Who knows how long they'll continue, or if any others ever will chamber it again.
sorry to hijack, but I wanted to mention that H&R has got a .222 they are supposed to be releasing here soon....

just got a chance to buy a 222 savage 340d always been a remington man but not a bad price if i want it already have 22mag 22 hornet then i go straight to 260 just wondering if this would be a smart buy as i love to coyote hunt and was kinda wanting an ar but price is hard to beat not keen on the scope mount but have heard they are tack drivers with a little work would greatly appraceate all opions

The Savage 340 in 222 Rem was my first centerfire rifle. It was a real shooter after I found the right load for it. The scope mount might look a little weird but it is solid and strong.

It's hard to compare a Hornet to a 222 Rem (I have both also). You can shoot a heavier bullet at more speed and greater range than a Hornet.

Thr 222 would make a very good coyote gun IMO.

thank you bob i went down and bought the 222 was already offered more than i gave on the ride home but i am really interested in seeing what this triple duece will do thank you for takeing the time to reinsure this ole hillbilly

Yes there is a POTENTIAL reason to be worried about that twist.
IF you are going to be shooting on the cheap, you will be unhappy. Hornady SXPX, Speer TNT(low-vel version), Midway Dogtowns, are ALL limited to around a 240,000 RPM ceiling.
This means that a 50gr Dogtown, will only survive @ 3,000fps.

Those bullets were designed for slower twist, much slower cartridges.

Back