trouble with polymer mags

Originally Posted By: bigoledodgeya its all lubed. rings are good. been told by military friend that the gas rings aliging and causing not to load is myth. anyone else hear that before

Yeah, an AR should cycle just fine with the gaps aligned. Those rings get compressed in the bolt carrier until the end gap is near zero anyway.

If the rings had 5,000 or so rounds on them, maybe you would see a problem then.

My old upper used to have the rings aligned every time I tore the bolt down to clean (for whatever mysterious reason, I never figured out why) and it never had a cycle issue.

well dpms pm'd me to call them. figured they might give some suggestions...na i called them and they told me to send in rifle. no try this try that, just ship it to them. taking it to gun shop in the morning....

You have to remember, that by them endorsing you to test your rifle, they are opening themselves up for liability. It doesn't surprise me in the least that they just want you to send it in. Think about all the guys that have guns, that probably shouldn't... I know I have to supervise my wife very closely when she holds a gun :0). If my wife has a FTF or something, I am taking the gun away from her, and clearing it for her. DPMS cant know who to trust.

Let us know if you have to send it in, or if the shop helps, anxious to hear what it is.

lmao. you are very right wasnt thinking along those lines.i did take quad rail off early today just to look at gas block. did notice that it looked like alot of gas has been coming out where gas tube goes into gas block and from between the block and barrel how normal is that? im pretty familiar with an ar as far as parts go but dont know much about troubleshooting. did shoot it tonight and in twenty rounds it didnt load twice and once the bullet got stuck going into chamber and bolt wouldnt close. thats the first time its ever done that.

I am not an expert either, your problem sounded familiar to what I experienced so thought i would share this is hope. As far as the gas block, if it is leaking, that would make sense to me, why you are having issues, but again, that is just the logic in my mind. Let us know what the shop sais.

myth or not on the gas rings...every leak you have in the system takes away from cycling. I have seen everything from the end of the gas tube having a burr to dry buffers or a cleaning patch piece in the gas tube cause this. another possible cause could even be a firing pin retaining pin that is too long and occasionally snagging or rubbing.

i love my ARs but when they don't run they can drive ya nuts.

hope they find and correct the problem for you.

well....finally picked up my ar today. they replaced the gas tube and said the end of the tube that went into the block was slightly oblongated, creating the gas leak. replaced the tube and shot a hundred rounds tonight with not one problem! yay

Back