Best predator hunting scope for 223?

For predator hunting, I like a 2.5 to 10 power, or a 3 to 9 power scope. My experience has been that predators will generally be encountered at shorter ranges (under 200 yards), and the lower power on the scope is used the most.

As far as brands, I have Bushnell Elite scopes on almost all of my guns. I think they are very good quality for the price. Just recently purchased my first Vortex Viper PST, and am very impressed with it so far.

I have a 2x7 Redfield on my AR. Like it alot. Nice glass at a good price, made in USA and lifetime warranty. Redfield is owned by Leupold now too. I want to try a Vortex sometime but wish they were made in the US.

I have 4x12 on most of my rigs , got bushnell and a old simmons ( when they were not cheap junk ) and rightside am I missing something I thought Vortex was made in the USA the glass may be imported but so is most of the other scopes on the market including some of the biffer name scopes like your redfield

The best scope you could put on it would be a Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40, if you don't want to spend that much, any 3-9 or 4-12 in your price range will serve you well.

I recently put a Leupold VX-R, 3X-9X, 50mm obj, 30mm tube, CDS Turret, w/ Fire Dot Duplex on my R-15.

Works Great!

CoyoteFence.jpg

don't get the nikon 223 the turrets turn way to easy and every time you sit down to make a set you have to check them to make sure they are zeroed. not checking them every time leads to missing coyotes trust me its happen to me more than once. i do carry my rifle in an eberlestock pack so every time i pulled it out was when the turrets would turn. i replaced mine with a zeiss.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43The best scope you could put on it would be a Leupold VX3 3.5-10X40, if you don't want to spend that much, any 3-9 or 4-12 in your price range will serve you well.

What makes this scope the best??? Does it lock on to the coyotes and turn the ret. red and beep when you should shoot? Just curious as to why you proclaim that it is the best?

I went the easy way and got a Nikon 3-9 with the BDC and have never needed any higher power then the 9x. Great glass and not expensive so if anything happens to it, it's really no big deal.

That is just my opinion, if your opinion is different no problem. There are more than one good scope out there. I am of the opinion you should go to the upper end of what you can afford.

I would go with whats in your budget 30mm tube 50mm objective in 3x9 or 4.5 x14 i went with a Burris Black Diamond 6.5 x 24 with a 50mm objective and a 30mm tube and love it but it was 749.00

Not sure if they still make it but the 2.5-10x40 4200 elite was a sweet scope if you like a little more power.

I'm sold on the 1-4x20mm's.

You might consider the vx3 2-8 vx3. It is really popular. Its good enough for byron south so I suppose it would be good enough for 99% of predator hunters with a .223.

Don't over scope, it is not an advantage. 2-7 is plenty.

Back