Packing out a bear

Brennan

I was wondering how many of you quarter up your bear and pack it out. I know it would be nice to get a bear close to the road, but I don't want to stay to close to the roads this year. What is the best way of cutting up a bear so it can be easily packed out. I ussually will have to get it all out the day I shoot it because of my work schedule.

Debone the bear and take only the good parts.
Flesh the hide and do feet at kill site.If you can, hang meat to let as much blood drain.
The only bad thing about deboned meat it is hard to keep clean and spoil much sooner.So deal with meat as soon as you can.
When loading your pack put meat in side pack,heavy pieces on the bottom an tie skin to outside.I like a pack with external frame for this.Hard to tie skin on good with internal frames.
Good luck!! hope its dowen hill to the truck!!

Brennan, Make sure you have everything you need with you when you shoot your bear so you don't have to burn time and energy hiking back out to get things you need to take care of a bear. Pack frame, rope, knives, lightweight bone saw, 4 meat bags, preferably the lightweight ones but good quality bags to stop blow flies. Be prepared to take care of a bear in the dark also. The best hunting can be the last couple of hours of the day.

I simply remove the quarters as I skin out the bear and drop them right into a meat bag. I don't bother gutting bears. I usually work on half the animal at a time. I don't debone because I can keep meat cleaner and the handling time in the field is less for me. I at times do skin out the head on the spot but don't usually skin paws out until back at camp or home. An unskinned head and hide can be the heaviest load of all. Hair on the head can slip if not skinned out soon.

Your right get away from the roads and where everybody else goes. You'll see more bears and the chances of finding a big bruiser are better if you do some legwork. Good luck

Know anyone with a good pack horse or mule that will pack bear, and that can be called upon to help out? A really big bear is more of a load than many people realize! Even a medium size bear is a real job for one person. Count on making several trips with that back pack.

Back