Superformance loading data for .223

Scalloper

I have been using the factory Superformance ammo for my .223 I thought I may reload my own so I bought the powder (Superformance 1 lb) and 250 55gr V-Max bullets. On the can it gives load data for 22-250,243,and 300WSM then it says "More data available at www.Hodgdon.com. But I cannot find any loading data for the Superformance powder. Any idea where I can find this? Thanks

I was just doing a search on here and it apears as thoe I may have wasted my $$ as most say the reloading data is not available yet. This stinks. And some say the bulk powder is not the same.

Last edited:
Well if you bought 55gr Vmax's there is no Hornady Superformance ammo loaded with that particular bullets anyway. I may be mistaken but the 22-250 is loaded with 50gr VMax bullets. The .223 is loaded with the 53gr VMax.
The Superformance powder is not designed for the .223 it is way too slow for it. If you want the latest greatest for the .223 I would recommend the new Hodgdon CFE 223 powder.

Originally Posted By: ScalloperI have been using the factory Superformance ammo for my .223 I thought I may reload my own so I bought the powder (Superformance 1 lb) and 250 55gr V-Max bullets. On the can it gives load data for 22-250,243,and 300WSM then it says "More data available at www.Hodgdon.com. But I cannot find any loading data for the Superformance powder. Any idea where I can find this? Thanks

You wasted your money.

The only powders you will ever need for a .223 are Benchmark and 8208! If neither one of them will shoot with them 55's you need a new barrel!

Originally Posted By: venaticWell if you bought 55gr Vmax's there is no Hornady Superformance ammo loaded with that particular bullets anyway. I may be mistaken but the 22-250 is loaded with 50gr VMax bullets. The .223 is loaded with the 53gr VMax.
The Superformance powder is not designed for the .223 it is way too slow for it. If you want the latest greatest for the .223 I would recommend the new Hodgdon CFE 223 powder.
Thanks.I saw that Hornady was selling the Superformance powder in bulk and I liked their factory Superformance,so I mistakenly thought I could load this myself. I do understand that the .223 comes in 53gr V-Max but Cabelas did not have the 53gr they only have 55 gr.

Originally Posted By: dmpowderThe only powders you will ever need for a .223 are Benchmark and 8208! If neither one of them will shoot with them 55's you need a new barrel!
I have never loaded for my .223 I am just getting set up to load for my .223. I load for my 7mm,270 and 30-06 is there any data for these calibers for the Superformance powder? I doubt I can return the powder.

I pulled the bullets in 243win to get a good starting load, ended up with 48.6 of supreformance with mag primers and 75gr v-max.

if they make the superformance ammo in 223 pull a bullet and weigh the charge

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dmpowderThe only powders you will ever need for a .223 are Benchmark and 8208! If neither one of them will shoot with them 55's you need a new barrel!

While both Benchmark and XBR 8208 work well in my .223 rifles, if I want accuracy I go to Varget. I will happily give up 100 fps or so for those ragged hole groups that Varget has given me so many times over the years.

When a powder has shined like Varget has for me for so long it's mighty hard to not get very fond of it.

The superformance powder that Hodgdon sells, IS NOT the same powder that is used in the factory fill.
Superformance is very close in burn rate, to Win 780 Supreme.
The CFE223, is VERY close to Win 748.

The longtime match load for the 223, is 26.6 gr of Win 748.
You won't find this info on Hodgy's site. The agreement betwix'd Hodgy and Winny is a muddled one. Winny is supposed to provide load data, and info. Hodgy is supposed to report that, and sell it. As you can see from Hodgy's site, Winny seems more interested in cashing the royalty checks than doing their part. That may stem from the fact that they buy from the manufacturer(General Dynamics in Florida) and re-sell to Hodgy, who re-sells to you and I. If you look at the max load for Win 748, with a 55gr bullet it is less than 26gr; but the pressure is only 35K!!!

Given this lack of support for the powders, I find it "curious" that Hodgy is now selling their "own" powders. Which are remarkably close in burn rate to the Win powders; made by the same plant/people; with the same MSDS; with the same "Copper cleaning" additives that have existed(but not marketed) for around 20 years....

Originally Posted By: the impactzone ".... if they make the superformance ammo in 223 pull a bullet and weigh the charge"

DON'T DO IT!!

NEVER assume that the powder in a factory load is the same as the canister grade you get on the shelf - even when they have the same name.

The powder you buy in a can is blended to meet a specific burning rate, and can to can burning rate is very close - the powder in loaded rounds is similar, but not the same rate - even from lot to lot - manufactures buy powder by the ton, and each batch is different, and they adjust their load in the machine and run the whole batch (lot).

You cannot get ANY useful information by pulling a bullet and weighing the powder... and you beg for problems.

Why do people give advice on stuff they know nothing about???

Originally Posted By: ScalloperI was just doing a search on here and it apears as thoe I may have wasted my $$ as most say the reloading data is not available yet. This stinks. And some say the bulk powder is not the same. What kind of goons would do that? I am not sure I will use Hornady products again if thats the case.

Hornady sells very good products, and they are NOT goons.

You are very misinformed about factory loading and hand loading - the powders are similar, but NEVER the same. If factories used the same canister grades of powder that we use, we couldn't afford to buy factory ammo.

The powder "we" use is blended carefully, so each can we buy is as close as possible to the last can we bought - they are so good at the blending that I have never found a significant difference between lot to lot.

The powder that the factories use to load large batches use bulk powder that is "kinda close" to the last batch they bought - the make up for the differences by adjusting the amount of powder in each run.

No goons here, just your misunderstanding of how the industry works.

Originally Posted By: Scalloper
I have never loaded for my .223 I am just getting set up to load for my .223. I load for my 7mm,270 and 30-06 is there any data for these calibers for the Superformance powder? I doubt I can return the powder.

There is data for .30-06 in several bullet weights.

Cat is on the correct path, in regards to lot variations and such.
Hodgdon DOES NOT make ANY smokless powder, Winchester DOES NOT make any smokeless powder, Ramshot, Hornady..... you get the idea.

THE ONLY smokless propellant currently manufactured in the USA is ball powder. The plant is in St. Marks, Florida. It is owned and operated by General Dynamics; a defense contractor.
The Winchester "branded" powders and Hodgdon's ball powders(at least most) come from there.

The folks you "think" are selling you gunpowder/ammo, are only middle-men. Which do you think is going to get more "attention" to batch consistency, etc. A military contract for train-loads of powder, or a ton or two for the private sector?

For the bullets you got get yourself some Ramshot TAC and you'll have it made....55gr Vmax and TAC is an awesome combo.

I know how you feel on the Superformance powder....I got snookered on a pound of it too.
thumbdown.gif
That's what happens when you go down to Cabelas for a couple different powders and pick up one because of the name, I assumed there was .223 data on Hornady's site too....needless to say I found squat.

Originally Posted By: TURBO6046For the bullets you got get yourself some Ramshot TAC and you'll have it made....55gr Vmax and TAC is an awesome combo.

I know how you feel on the Superformance powder....I got snookered on a pound of it too.
thumbdown.gif
That's what happens when you go down to Cabelas for a couple different powders and pick up one because of the name, I assumed there was .223 data on Hornady's site too....needless to say I found squat.
I agree but its my own fault for not doing my home work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ScalloperOriginally Posted By: TURBO6046For the bullets you got get yourself some Ramshot TAC and you'll have it made....55gr Vmax and TAC is an awesome combo.

thumbdown.gif

I agree and I still think they are GOONS.

Then don't buy the stuff they sell... Oh, wait a minute - they are pretty much the ONLY distributors of powder in the USA... aw well, you didn't want to load anyway..

Back