I want a Sendero in 300 Win Mag.

MPFD

Any tips you guys can give me for getting a better one? Do the new ones have the same crappy Remington Triggers? What years should I look at? It looks like the new ones have fluted barrels where the older ones don't. Is this a true statement?

Anything you Remington Guru's can tell me, to help me get the very best rifle I can get for my money. I'm all ears! Thanks!

No....as far as I know Senderos were basically either a first gen or a second gen and could be had either blued CM or Stainless fluted in the first generations.

Mine is a .300 Win mag stainless fluted first generation. It has the HS Precision stock without the palm swell, no black painted flutes. The action is more of a matt finish.

The second generation or Sendero IIs had a slightly different stock with a large palm swell on the right hand side, had black flutes on the 26" stainless barrels and the action was almost a polished finish.

I much prefer the first generation, pre j-lock. I believe mine is a 1997 Sendero SF 26" barrel. It is an amazingly accurate "out of the box" rifle but it has the familiar Remington trigger. Mine I adjusted to 2.5 lbs and its ok...not great but ok.

I also have a Remington VSSF II which is identical to a Sendero II except short action varmint rounds.

Last edited:
Not a great picture of the gun. This is my son at 12 years old with the .300 Win mag Sendero after making a 320 yd. shot on this nice cow elk. One shot and she went right down.

15601tays_elk.JPG

I have a Sendero-II in .264 WM that I bought for coyote and feral dog culling.

It is one of the most accurate factory rifles I have ever owned - and fit/finish are excellent.

All the II's come with the "X-Mark" trigger. It is a good trigger and much easier to adjust than the old one. I have mine at ~24 oz.

I load a 95gr V-Maxs in it and it shoots string flat, and hits like a lightning bolt.

No muzzle brake from the factory.

The gun 'full up' weighs in around 11.5 to 12 lb. and has a decent factory recoil pad on it. It is probably the 'cushiest' .300 Win mag to shoot there is without a brake. Hence my young son using it.

I saw the pic of your son.I just wondered about recoil whe I seen pic of your son.Most bolt actions kick pretty good in the big calibers.

He's a big boy but its still a pretty easy gun to shoot. Far more comfortable to shoot than my Remington LSS .300 Win mag.

Originally Posted By: skb2706No....as far as I know Senderos were basically either a first gen or a second gen and could be had either blued CM or Stainless fluted in the first generations.

Mine is a .300 Win mag stainless fluted first generation. It has the HS Precision stock without the palm swell, no black painted flutes. The action is more of a matt finish.

The second generation or Sendero IIs had a slightly different stock with a large palm swell on the right hand side, had black flutes on the 26" stainless barrels and the action was almost a polished finish.

I much prefer the first generation, pre j-lock. I believe mine is a 1997 Sendero SF 26" barrel. It is an amazingly accurate "out of the box" rifle but it has the familiar Remington trigger. Mine I adjusted to 2.5 lbs and its ok...not great but ok.

I also have a Remington VSSF II which is identical to a Sendero II except short action varmint rounds.

+1

Mine is 7mmRM / SS fluted 26 / HS. I installed a Timney trigger 2.5 pound. Timney is safer than a Remington trigger / Great RIFLE

MP- skb outlined the different variations. my buddies and i have a LOT of senderos . i like the stainless fluted ones better. they are lighter. and i like a vais brake if it is for a magnum. some of mine have remington triggers some have shilen , one has a jewell. the 300 wm is a very forgiving round to load for . get one and enjoy!!!

Thank you guys! Great info so far. There are a few on Gunbroker right now but none that really turn my crank. I'm gonna continue to troll gun shops till I find the one. What should I expect to pay. $1100ish looks pretty standard from what I am seeing so far.

Hard to say what they will go for. Mine I got on consignment with a Leupold VX II 4 x 12 for a really good price.....desperation kinda price. I'm

I looked at a 300 win mag in the 700 PSS and they are alittle better priced, with what looks like the same stock. I doubt I will be buying one anytime soon.

Last edited:
I have the Scendero II with stainless barrel and black flutes in .300 win mag. Without a doubt one of the best shooting rifles i have ever owned. I like the X-mark trigger myself turns down to around 3# easily. I've killed more deer with this gun than any i've ever owned.

Back