Rem 742 semi-auto 243.... anyone use it....?

dan brothers

Just got my hands on a Remington 742 semi-auto 243 and was wondering if anyone has turned it into a yote killer.

I have no idea what twist it has... or where to start reloading for it.

If anyone has any hints, tips, or advice... I'm wide open.

thanks...Dan

might as well,could be a good one!.... dad had an old 742 carbine in 30-06, p.o.s. old tasco 3x scope and shot a lot of game w/ it....load up and hunt! (this same guy will duct tape anything and glue new eye to the bottom half of a worn out $15 fishin pole,...dont get me started) good luck on load devolpment....

I beleive its a 1:9.25 twist rate, so it may like heavier bullets. You may want to call Remington since I believe the twist rate on those depends on year of manufacture.

My grandfather had one with a tip off weaver 4x scope and mount that he used on groundhogs. My Mom inherited it and I tried to sight it in with no luck. She gave it to my brother and I helped him scope it and sight it in. I tried 80gr. and 100gr. Core-Lokts in it. The 100's did better of the two. I'm thinking it was something like 1-9" twist. The best I could get was about 2" at 100yds. It wasn't the most comfortable bench gun and I never tried handloading it. It would likely be a handy 100yd coyote slammer with some good handloads. Make sure you load it about 2 miles from where you're going hunting. His is loud as crap to charge. Here is a handy twist rate reference.
Twist rate chart

Back