Out of the Box R-15 Mods with How-To Pics - Part 1

VolCrew

HPIM0293.jpg

My love of Remington Arms started as a kid when my dad started me shooting his Remington 550. Looking through what was, by modern standards, the tiny tube of a Weaver B6, I would squeal with delight as those water-filled milk jugs exploded.

So it was with more than a little interest that I read about the introduction of the Remington R-15 VTR. I had come close to buying a Colt black rifle some years ago, but somehow it did not fit into my priorities at that time. Big Green’s announcement of the R-15 seemed at once to legitimize the platform and also provided the R-15’s raison d'être, predator hunting. It came at a time when I was eager to expand my field activities to pursuing coyotes and was investigating light carry options. The stars were aligned over South Texas.

I read all I could get my hands on about the new offering. All the Byron South posts (as well as many more contributors) on PredatorMaster forums, Greg Rodriguez’s Shooting Times article (April 2008), American Rifleman’s Dope Bag (April 2008) and Jon Sundra’s review in Predator Extreme (October 2008) were all readily devoured like a ravenous coyote on a warm bunny.

There were two calibers, two barrel lengths and two stocks configurations. What was the best combination for me? The flat-shooting .204 Ruger or the platform’s traditional Remy .223? The hollow A2 buttstock or the collapsible style? The carbine length 18” tube or the longer 22” rifle barrel? And then there was the Byron South Signature Edition, factory equipped on the showroom floor with a enhanced pistol grip, two-stage trigger and float tube enhancements.

I finally decided on a collapsible stock carbine in .233, and after finding a good gun show price, became the owner of a NIB black rifle disguised in MAX-1 HD camo.

DSC09376.jpg

My first impression was it was well-balanced and light, much lighter than my other center fire semiauto, a Remington 7400 in .243.

HPIM0213.jpg

My other first impression was of how much I disliked the pistol grip and trigger guard. The former seems too small for a good grip and the latter too sharp-edged.

DSC09386.jpg

So with those thoughts, I began to tinker around.

Mod Numero Uno was to mount my Harris BRM-S on the float tube. Remington provided two swing swivel studs apparently for this reason. However, they are drilled and tapped too close together to allow the Harris to fully seat on the float tube between them. So the first mod was removing the forward stud to allow the bipod to install properly on the float tube.

With this “mod” in place, the carbine could be supported by the pistol grip and the bipod feet.

The second mod was slipping in a higher capacity magazine. I am kinda amused when every AR picture I see has a 30- to 40-round mag featured. One of my objectives was to avoid a super long mag that would get caught in the truck, my clothes, brush, the deer blind, etc. I think I found a mag I can be happy with in the Magpul PMAG 20.

DSC09379.jpg

At 5.5” in length, this mag is only about 1.5” longer than the factory 5-round mag but holds 20 rounds of .223. With the PMAG 20 inserted, the pistol grip is still the lowest part of the platform.

DSC09404.jpg

Coming up - Getting a Grip

Out of the Box R-15 Mods with How-To Pics - Part 2

Mod Three addressed the pistol grip ergonomics. After researching grips, I decided on the Magpul Mission Adaptable (MIAD) full kit.

DSC09393.jpg

The kit comes with three sizes of grip inserts, the trigger guard and a storage compartment plug that holds three cartridges. I selected the biggest backstrap offered.

Other plugs are available to hold batteries or a bolt carrier. The cartridge plug is shown here with Winchester Ballistic Silvertips.

DSC09394.jpg

The MIAD preserves the factory grip angle, but the bottom angle is different.

DSC09387.jpg

Here is the bottom of both pistol grips with the MIAD plug removed.

DSC09411.jpg

The back view is shown below. The MIAD has a good crinkle texture.

DSC09409.jpg

To install this grip, you will need some simple tools. A long shaft Allen wrench is needed to remove the factory pistol grip. Before removal, note that the safety detent spring is held in place by the grip and can fly out if the grip is removed without regard for it.

In this picture, the spring has been captured and laid on the table, while the detent is still in its guide hole. It will fall out if the receiver is turned right side up.

DSC09407.jpg

Removing the trigger guard was the biggest chore. Of course, if you purchased the basic MIAD without the trigger guard, you will not need to remove the factor trigger guard.

Push the forward detent to release the forward end of the trigger guard and with a pin punch, carefully drive out the roll pin at the rear of the trigger guard. I read somewhere that the ears this pin fits in is the weakest part of the receiver and can be easily broken off. I made sure that area was well supported so the punch was acting on the pin and not the ears.

I don't have a stand for the rifle, so I found it more convenient to just separate the receivers so I would not have the barrel in the way.

DSC09412.jpg

Once you get everything apart, you can start assembly. Since the safety detent probably fell out, drop it back in the receiver pointed end first, then drop in the spring, set the pistol grip in place and secure it with the slot head screw supplied with the kit.

Finally, it looks like this:

DSC09423.jpg

The last mod I will discuss today is the Badger Tactical charging handle latch. This piece is fairly easy to install, too, although I did have to buy a 1/16” punch. To install, separate the receivers, drop out the bolt carrier and the charging handle. Working from the bottom side of the handle, drive out the 1/16” roll pin that secures the factory latch. Use care not to drive in the punch further than required or otherwise wallow out the handle’s tiny roll pin hole and be read to catch the flying spring.

DSC09427.jpg

Getting this back together is a little more difficult because the latch spring is fairly stout. However, once you do reassemble it, the handle will look like this:

DSC09428.jpg

More work is planned for this carbine in the future, so stay tuned for more on my factory R-15 build up.

Absolutely no question that you have a high speed internet connection. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Jack

I have not ever had or used a badger tactical latch. That said, I have never had any problems with a factory charging handle. In fact I never even wanted a badger because I figured it would get in the way. I never thought that any of the latches were anything other than a Tacticool gimmick. That $80 could be much better spent in quality mags, or a trigger upgrade. Free float tube or ammo and practice.

If your AR-15 is already decked out to the max, go for it. Until that time the money can be better spent imho.

Not to knock your upgrade, I just want new guys to start with upgrades that will improve their rifles accuracy and their shooting skills.

Adam

Quote:
Ive been looking at those badger latches! I just got to thinking they might catch on things, how do you like yours?

The tactical latch should be the first mod done to any AR IMO. Zero problems catching clothing ect.
Best $17-20 you could do to a firearm.

Great,just when I thought I had spent enough money you show me all these ideas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif just kidding nice post and thanks for all the detail!

Good job.
One other latch that works very well and doesn't protrude like the Badger is the PRI, take a look at those before buying any.

I have two versions of the tactical latch I believe they are both made by Badger. One is bigger than the other. I like the bigger one (the one pictured in your thread) the best...

For me they are an improvement on the weapon...

Good post well done.

Originally Posted By: gamedogQuote:Ive been looking at those badger latches! I just got to thinking they might catch on things, how do you like yours? The tactical latch should be the first mod done to any AR IMO. Zero problems catching clothing ect.
Best $17-20 you could do to a firearm.

I have a charging handle with a badger in it. You're absolutely right, the latch catches on my coveralls and my seat pad when I carry the rifle slung on my right shoulder. I removed it, and went back to a standard charging handle on my hunting AR's.

Yep I ditched that badger latch in a heart beat! Got tired of it catching on stuff and feeling it in my back when carrying the rifle. They are nice just not for hunting IMO.

Save it for your plinking or SHTF AR!

Back